Who Can Stop Dean
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:25:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who Can Stop Dean
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who Can Stop Dean  (Read 6971 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2003, 01:45:40 PM »

Carol Mosley was Not included
DarthKosh

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 02:48:12 PM »

Dean himself.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 07:01:50 PM »

Rally around Gephardt.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 08:09:06 PM »

Gephardt could stop him, but it would be a stretch.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 08:09:51 PM »

Almost any of the Dems could stop Dean, I think. Eventually it will come down to a 2-man race, and Dean will have to beat just one opponent, not 8. Since he has the most passionate followers, he would be expected to be doing strongly right now in a 9-man race. But once other candidates drop out, will their supporters go to Dean, or to whoever emerges as the anti-Dean? That's the big question.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 08:15:18 PM »

Nym90:

YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THAT WESLEY CLARK CAN AND WILL STOP DEAN. BUT AFTER YESTERDAY'S DEBATE, EDWARDS IS LOOKING GOOD AGAIN TOO! micma9@aol.com
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 08:23:42 PM »

Either Clark or Edwards would be great candidates. We'll just have to see how the whole thing plays out. It should be a very interesting race for the nomination. I think it will be very competitive and Dean certainly does not have the race locked up as many in the media have said.
I think the media just can't stand the idea of not having a front-runner. The media loves simplicity in reporting; they hate complex stories. Thus, there has to be a "front-runner" to make the race easier for the layperson to understand...
Demrepdan

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 09:58:06 PM »

YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THAT WESLEY CLARK CAN AND WILL STOP DEAN.
Will beat Dean? I'll admit, it's possible, but it a'int gonna happen. I'd be willing to put money on it. Hey! Thats a good idea! The bet starts at $5. Who wants to add to this? If Clark wins the nomination (for President of course) then we give then people who thought Clark would win a CASH price! We'll also start a bet on Sharpton and Mosley-Braun too. LOL WinkGrin
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 10:17:39 PM »

Interesting Question.  I think the majority of Democrat primary voters want the following:
  -An Outsider to shake up the establishment.
  -Against Iraq war/didn't vote for it
  -Repeal tax cuts
The only viable candidates that fit this are Clarke and Dean. None of the other candidates would satisfy the "Dean" activists.  
I'd say Clarke is the only "non-Dean"
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 11:32:18 PM »

I think that most Dems want someone who can beat Bush more than anything else. Dean will have to demonstrate that he has the ability to beat Bush in order to win the nomination. I think that he can win, but I think that a lot of other Democrats remain unconvinced.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 02:22:45 AM »

Either Clark or Edwards would be great candidates. We'll just have to see how the whole thing plays out. It should be a very interesting race for the nomination. I think it will be very competitive and Dean certainly does not have the race locked up as many in the media have said.
I think the media just can't stand the idea of not having a front-runner. The media loves simplicity in reporting; they hate complex stories. Thus, there has to be a "front-runner" to make the race easier for the layperson to understand...
In analyzing what you said in the last paragraph of your post regarding who can stop Dean, Edwards has a youthful look reminiscent of Kennedy. He is also closest to Clinton in his presence or "aura" and can steal the thunder from the other candidates. He just has to figure out how to cash in on these strengths.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2003, 11:40:06 PM »

I think that most Dems want someone who can beat Bush more than anything else. Dean will have to demonstrate that he has the ability to beat Bush in order to win the nomination. I think that he can win, but I think that a lot of other Democrats remain unconvinced.
Oh, what happened to your support for Clarke? You've been around constants and nominals too much.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2003, 11:52:31 PM »

I still like Clark a lot, I think he would be the most electable Democratic candidate. I haven't made up my mind for sure though who I'll vote for on Feb. 7.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 12:05:08 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2003, 12:05:47 AM by Beet »

It will be Clark/Edwards or Clark/Gephardt '04.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 11:39:44 PM »

GEPHARDT!!!!!!!!! GEPHARDT!!!!!!!!!
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2003, 02:43:22 PM »

If Dean wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, its all over save the shouting.

NH is a safe bet for him unless his campaign stumbles badly or to be precise, stumbles worse than his highly 'competent' opponents.

If someone else can win Iowa the fight is still on between him and Dean.
I believe Gephardt is the only one who can do that.

Will he?? I'm afraid not. Dean has got his board onto the right wave and I'm afraid it will take him all the way to Boston.

Note: In this analogy Washington DC lies way way beyond where the surf breaks Cheesy
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2003, 03:35:11 PM »

If Dean wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, its all over save the shouting.

NH is a safe bet for him unless his campaign stumbles badly or to be precise, stumbles worse than his highly 'competent' opponents.

If someone else can win Iowa the fight is still on between him and Dean.
I believe Gephardt is the only one who can do that.

Will he?? I'm afraid not. Dean has got his board onto the right wave and I'm afraid it will take him all the way to Boston.

Note: In this analogy Washington DC lies way way beyond where the surf breaks Cheesy
I dont think dean is going to win iowa
Paul
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2003, 03:43:42 PM »

Gephardt may have a lot of union support, but Dean has some as well; in addition, Dean is outspending Gephardt something like 2 to 1.  Gephardt has the organization to put up a fight, but Dean has the money and the charisma to defeat that...IF he plays his cards right.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2003, 03:49:10 PM »

Well I hope not but do you agree that if he wins it (as well as NH) he's most prob gonna get the nomination???
Paul
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2003, 03:55:03 PM »

Yeah, if Dean wins both NH and IA, I imagine that the rest of the primaries and caucauses will pretty much be just a formality... Dean will have the nomination sewn up.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2003, 05:54:08 PM »

Yeah, if Dean wins both NH and IA, I imagine that the rest of the primaries and caucauses will pretty much be just a formality... Dean will have the nomination sewn up.
I agree thats why gephardt is the only one who has the power to stop dean.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2003, 06:06:05 PM »

Why are NH and IA so important? Granted they are the first, but that doesn't mean the later, bigger primaries like SC, AZ, and MI have to follow them.
DarthKosh

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2003, 06:43:11 PM »

Why are NH and IA so important? Granted they are the first, but that doesn't mean the later, bigger primaries like SC, AZ, and MI have to follow them.

The Big Mo.
M

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2003, 06:53:19 PM »

Right or wrong, you get A LOT of media coverage on the first two. In theory, a caucus and then a primary in two pretty typical, politically balanced states should be a good indicator. Also, expectations generally become self-fulfilling prophecies, and people expect Dean to get the nomination if he takes Iowa and NH.

The only likely exception is if a candidate nott expected to be competitive 'till the first Southern primary (read Wes or Johnny Reb). SC is still a tossup. Could it become a two way race even if Dean takes Iowa and NH? My answer would be a cautious yes. But not likely.
DarthKosh

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2003, 07:11:52 PM »

Right or wrong, you get A LOT of media coverage on the first two. In theory, a caucus and then a primary in two pretty typical, politically balanced states should be a good indicator. Also, expectations generally become self-fulfilling prophecies, and people expect Dean to get the nomination if he takes Iowa and NH.

The only likely exception is if a candidate nott expected to be competitive 'till the first Southern primary (read Wes or Johnny Reb). SC is still a tossup. Could it become a two way race even if Dean takes Iowa and NH? My answer would be a cautious yes. But not likely.

If Dean wins Iowa and NH, then he has the nom wrapped up.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies