The NYT's Glowing Review of Palin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:58:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The NYT's Glowing Review of Palin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The NYT's Glowing Review of Palin  (Read 9180 times)
daboese
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

No, I have not said that she actually banned books.
Still, you would never ask the librarian how to ban books if you become mayor. You would be aware that this is a difficult subject and you would rephrase the question.
This is the story about a person who is not very bright to become VP. She doesn't mean any bad things. She is just a socially super-conservative, like G.W. Bush. Not more, not less than that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

Hell, being mayor of Wasilla isn't that exciting, if she's ever president she'll have a lot more important things to worry about.
How about banning books from being published?
Or burning books which are on homosexuality? ;-)

Other than your fantasy live, where does this occur.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A good mayor would want to know the policy.  You, I guess, wouldn't be a good mayor.

Obama simply isn't up for the job of president, even compared to Palin.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »

No, I have not said that she actually banned books.
Still, you would never ask the librarian how to ban books if you become mayor. You would be aware that this is a difficult subject and you would rephrase the question.

I certainly would want to know if it was my choice or what role I had in it.  Unlike you, I've actually been in similar positions.  It troubles my that my judgment might be a bit better than Obama's.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »

It occured. In history. Many times.

A good politician would know how to rephrase the question. You know it, I know it. I guess, both of us (in comparison) would be good mayors.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »

It occured. In history. Many times.

But not in Wasilla.  You've just posted the "slippery slope" fallacy.

A good politician would know how to rephrase the question. You know it, I know it. I guess, both of us (in comparison) would be good mayors.
[/quote]

No, slimy politician would, you know the kind rewrites his biography.  A good mayor would ask a direct question.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »

I would not equal eloquence to being slimy.
In Germany, such a sentence (because of our history) would be a complete no-go. You would have to resign immediately.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »

I would not equal eloquence to being slimy.
In Germany, such a sentence (because of our history) would be a complete no-go. You would have to resign immediately.

Nor would I, but I would equate editing a bio to make the candidate sound underprivileged as being very slimy.

Note as well that Germans don't vote in American elections.   
daboese
Germany

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 11:22:35 AM »

Does it mean that you would walk up to a librarian bluntly and ask her if you can ban books or not?
Or would you rephrase the question now?
In China or Russia, by the way, this would have been very legitimate and there would have been no outrage. Think about it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »

Does it mean that you would walk up to a librarian bluntly and ask her to ban books or not?

It means that I would ask her the question, bluntly, on the record.  I want to know what the policy was, and I'd be asking questions.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

People have been hounded to resignation over things very much like this - and less wideranging but similar in character - in Germany or Britain.
Not everytime, mind.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2008, 11:35:31 AM by daboese »

In Germany, they have been always hounded to resignation when they would have asked such a sentence (either, as I said, because they were stupid, but in many cases, they really meant it)- but then, we have another history than the Americans do.
Still, it reminds me of Bush- he also says what he thinks without thinking. ;-)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »

People have been hounded to resignation over things very much like this - and less wideranging but similar in character - in Germany or Britain.
Not everytime, mind.

Palin isn't running in Germany or Britain.  Now, if Obama wants to use more  European sensibilities, that's fine.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »

Eh, I think it's pretty settled.  As a private citizen she asked the library specifically to get rid of  "My Daddy's Roommate" - stating that while she never read it she didn't feel the library should carry it.  

No, and again you've provided false information, something you share in favor of Obama.  Here is a list of all requests to remove books:  

http://www.cityofwasilla.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=516

You'll note that the two prior to Palin becoming mayor occurred when she was in college, in another state.

You'll note that there was one request while Palin was mayor.  The book remained.  

That's the real story of Wasilla.  The other real story is the media bashing of Palin.

Damn, way to take it down a notch in terms of class.  That list is a list of formal requests, I gave you a host of sources that you ignored showing that Palin simply inquired about that book specifically.  And here’s another thread where I’m going to have to stop responding to you since you are 100% unwilling to budge.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »

Well, at least this means that he would be popular in Europe.
McCain would be another Bush, and would divide the world even more.
This is not necessarily a bad thing- for Europe, Russia, and China (with the latter two not caring a thing anymore abou the US anymore), but is likely to be for the US.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »

Not everytime, mind.

Palin isn't running in Germany or Britain.  Now, if Obama wants to use more  European sensibilities, that's fine.

sorry, I didn't know banning books was an American sensibility.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »

Not everytime, mind.

Actually, I was referring to hiring unqualified family and friends, and firing unpolitical government employees in order to creating vacancies for unqualified family and friends. That a mayor has no power over what exactly the library stocks is so self-evident that it didn't cross my mind to draw a parallel.

And note that I was thinking of resigning from the office she currently holds. Not the Republican Presidential ticket.
Although a state governor would presumably be able to outride the storm here, actually - a member of his cabinet might not.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »

Not everytime, mind.

Sorry, asking questions about is.  BTW, even some the Democrats here have talked about some limitations, and certainly support age appropriate ones.

Well, at least this means that he would be popular in Europe.
McCain would be another Bush, and would divide the world even more.
This is not necessarily a bad thing- for Europe, Russia, and China (with the latter two not caring a thing anymore abou the US anymore), but is likely to be for the US.

I hate to tell you this, but none of these countries choose an American president.

My saying, to quote a European, is "It is better to be feared than loved."
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »

People and loyalty over progress and principle. 

Hmmm, sounds like a certain President.  Sorry, I'd hate to take a campaign slogan, but McCain and Palin sounds like more of the same, (in policy and procedure). 
daboese
Germany

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »

It is interesting to see that- even, and especially today- people have not understood that we are living in a single world.
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »

It's the New York Times, enough said.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »

It is interesting to see that- even, and especially today- people have not understood that we are living in a single world.

I do, that is why I made that statement.  I'm not really interested in global government.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »

Not everytime, mind.

Sorry, asking questions about is.  BTW, even some the Democrats here have talked about some limitations, and certainly support age appropriate ones.

I don't think anyone rational would object to putting certain books in an "adults only" section, but that's not the issue here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »

Not everytime, mind.

I don't think anyone rational would object to putting certain books in an "adults only" section, but that's not the issue here.

No, but neither is banning books, because Palin didn't try to ban any.

You know, we have a lot people here claiming things about Palin, but none of tseem to be based in fact.

I asked if Colbert was a member of Palin's church, and never got a response. 
daboese
Germany

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2008, 12:39:14 PM by daboese »

I do, that is why I made that statement.  I'm not really interested in global government.
Not in a global government, but working together globally.
Today, not only Wall Street is under pressure, but it is a world wide recession we are heading into, because of the US. Only two major american investment banks remain.
9/11 did happen because of these stupid policies. Afghanistan. The Iraq war. Why the US is hated by Russia, China, and the Arab nations. Why Europe starts to distance itself from the country which brought Democracy into Europe.

All these things go down the drain with McCain's "country first", and with some isolationist policies of the last century. Your economy will go down the drain, as it does now.
You can drill in Alaska a hundred times, there is only so much oil you can find there. And it can only support you so many days.
Exactly these are the important things that Al Gore, Obama, Clinton, and the Democrats have understood. Such things are far beyond McCain or Palin to even grasp what is going on there, and which problems we- the western world have to solve in the following years.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »

I do, that is why I made that statement.  I'm not really interested in global government.
Not in a global government, but working together globally.
Today, not only Wall Street is under pressure, but it is a world wide recession we are heading into, because of the US. Only two major american investment banks remain.
9/11 did happen because of these stupid policies. Afghanistan. The Iraq war. Why the US is hated by Russia, China, and the Arab nations. Why Europe starts to distance itself from the country which brought Democracy into Europe.

9-11 happened in spite of relative good will across the world.

Sorry, but unless you elect me Chancellor, your argument won't cut it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies