The NYT's Glowing Review of Palin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:25:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The NYT's Glowing Review of Palin (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The NYT's Glowing Review of Palin  (Read 9151 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 14, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »

More of the liberal media attacking Sweet Sarah Palin.

Note that there are no longer quotes.

The idea that, once elected, the new incumbent is terrible for bringing in new people is bizarre.  Sorry, but I don't expect Obama to retain Bush staff people should he win.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »

More of the liberal media attacking Sweet Sarah Palin.

Note that there are no longer quotes.

Were there ever, really?

Yes, but we now we have the NYT complaining that a newly elected official brings in her own staff.  That is pretty bad.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »

Some snippets from the WaPo article:

Palin also differed with the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons. The Frontiersman reported at the time that Palin asked Emmons three times in her first weeks in office whether she would agree to remove controversial books.  The librarian said she would not. The McCain campaign has confirmed Palin's questions but said that she never demanded removal of any specific books. Palin also fired Emmons on Jan. 30 but reinstated her after an uproar.

And Emmons claims exactly what the campaign says.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:20:53 PM »

Of course, it's old news that she never specifically demanded that a book be banned.  But it's weird to ask that three times, which is the interesting part of the snippit.

Yes, it's old news and doesn't warrant being in the NYT, unless it's an attack by the liberal media.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

Of course, it's old news that she never specifically demanded that a book be banned.  But it's weird to ask that three times, which is the interesting part of the snippit.

Yes, it's old news and doesn't warrant being in the NYT, unless it's an attack by the liberal media.

It was in the Washington Post and was in an overall article detailing her prior professional life.  It was an appropriate line in an appropriate article.  The question, of course, is whether they are as critical of Obama, which they won't because Palin is a story that will sell more papers at the moment.

And again, the "three times" is not old news.

It is appropriate to ask, but not to say, "The McCain campaign has confirmed Palin's questions but said that she never demanded removal of any specific books. "  because the librarian, Emmons, says this.  It's not a question of what the McCain campaign says; it is a question of what happened.  Now, there were two parties and they agreed on what happened.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »

The idea that, once elected, the new incumbent is terrible for bringing in new people is bizarre. 

Did you really miss the point that these people were a) seriously unqualified and b) all friends from high school?

First of all, I'm not sure that they were all friends from high school, but it wouldn't be too unlikely in Wasilla.  Second, where does the "unqualified" part come in?  The economic development director was a small business, for example.  Even of the three high school friend shown, there is no listing of what the did after high school, except for that.

And, I'm not entirely sure she's "secretive" but any good leader is manipulative.  Obama obviously is.  Biden tries to be, but usually fails at it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »

Some facts off.  Some of them were under-qualified, you can see the specific posts mentioned in the article.

Her high-school classmates were under discussion for her appointees as governor.

Here's the passage:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Except, he wasn't a high school classmate of Palin's.  He grew up in Palmer, AK.  BTW:  In addition to his JD he also has a Ph D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talis_J._Colberg

The Wasilla High School yearbook archive now doubles as a veritable directory of state government. Ms. Palin appointed Mr. Bitney, her former junior high school band-mate, as her legislative director and chose another classmate, Joe Austerman, to manage the economic development office for $82,908 a year. Mr. Austerman had established an Alaska franchise for Mailboxes Etc.[/quote]
[/quote]

Joe Austerman, aside from running a franchise business, has a degree in finance.
 [sarcasm]

How dare Palin appoint with a finance degree to manage economic development!

[/sarcasm]

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/oed/Austerman_bio.htm

John Bitney, actually hired away by the Speaker of State House.  Why?

http://housemajority.org/item.php?id=harr20070712-283

Worse thing I can say about him was once he was a lobbyist.  His departure looks like because he became involved with another staff member.

Thank you for showing us the left wing media in full attack mode.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »

Second, where does the "unqualified" part come in?

Please respond with reference to 1) the Attorney General and 2) the one hired for the agricultural position who had a childhood love of cows.

Thank you explain how a guy with both JD and a Ph D, isn't qualified. 

Please cite the agricultural position?

I'm looking at their backgrounds, and the seem qualified.  Would you please explain why they are not?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »

Some facts off.  Some of them were under-qualified, you can see the specific posts mentioned in the article.

Her high-school classmates were under discussion for her appointees as governor.

Here's the passage:

Except, he wasn't a high school classmate of Palin's.  He grew up in Palmer, AK.  BTW:  In addition to his JD he also has a Ph D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talis_J._Colberg

A PhD... in history. I quote, "His dissertation title is "M.D. Snodgrass: The Founder of the Alaska State Fair"." Yes, a definite qualification for being Attorney General. But, you're right, he wasn't a classmate, nor does the article say he was. He's a member of her church.

So you don't thing that someone with both a JD and a Ph D, one that deals with the history of Alaska, is a qualification to be attorney general of Alaska?  Good grief!!!

As for the church, do you have a link?  And which church?  She left hers and attends another one, different from the one she attended as mayor.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:06:22 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2008, 11:13:36 PM by J. J. »

In the case of Colberg, no.  He was also an elected county (borough) official, had been practicing for more than 20 years when appointed, had served as staff counsel to The Travelers Insurance Companies, and was a history instructor at the local college.

The word "unqualified" don't exactly scream from the page.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

You're either skipping or ignoring the part about how the A.G. has to run the department of 150 people and he said he didn't know how to do it and would probably get someone else.

You're skipping some his other positions.  Now there a question executive experience, but don't we have with Obama and Biden?

Most attorneys do not[/i] have a Ph D, and actually some lawyers do not have JD's.  We also have a guy served as a corporate counsel prior to being in private practice, and who had been practicing for more than 20 years prior to his appointment.  In this case, Colberg, also has local government experience as well.  He's also, academically, familiar with the histry of the sate, whicxh is useful for someone in both government and law.  Now, how does that make him unqualified?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »

Banning books, or even asking to ban books brings back some memories from German history.

I am sorry, but if I become a mayor of a town, I don't walk up to the librarian asking such a question out of curiosity.
Either I am very stupid (which disqualifies me for becoming a VP), or I really would like to see some books banned (which disqualifies me as well).

I would hope that you wuld ask about the policy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »

Nope.
I think I (as everyone else) know about the policy of banning books.

Oh, what is it?

That you for your endorsement of uninformed government.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »

That I cannot go around and ban books by a wink of an eye, at least not as mayor. Every book which is bought by a library will be scrutinized anyway.

By whom; what are the standards?

Knowing how to ban books is the most important information in the world I guess. For some people this might be true. As I said, this brings back nice memories.
[/quote]

More than a few Democrats agree that there should be some controls.  Prior to Palin, the library set up some age appropriate controls, that most of us would consider reasonable.  If the library were under my department, I'd be asking that question.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »

Eh, I think it's pretty settled.  As a private citizen she asked the library specifically to get rid of  "My Daddy's Roommate" - stating that while she never read it she didn't feel the library should carry it.  

No, and again you've provided false information, something you share in favor of Obama.  Here is a list of all requests to remove books:  

http://www.cityofwasilla.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=516

You'll note that the two prior to Palin becoming mayor occurred when she was in college, in another state.

You'll note that there was one request while Palin was mayor.  The book remained.  

That's the real story of Wasilla.  The other real story is the media bashing of Palin.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

Hell, being mayor of Wasilla isn't that exciting, if she's ever president she'll have a lot more important things to worry about.
How about banning books from being published?
Or burning books which are on homosexuality? ;-)

Other than your fantasy live, where does this occur.  

A good mayor would want to know the policy.  You, I guess, wouldn't be a good mayor.

Obama simply isn't up for the job of president, even compared to Palin.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »

No, I have not said that she actually banned books.
Still, you would never ask the librarian how to ban books if you become mayor. You would be aware that this is a difficult subject and you would rephrase the question.

I certainly would want to know if it was my choice or what role I had in it.  Unlike you, I've actually been in similar positions.  It troubles my that my judgment might be a bit better than Obama's.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »

Other than your fantasy live, where does this occur. 
It occured. In history. Many times.

But not in Wasilla.  You've just posted the "slippery slope" fallacy.

A good politician would know how to rephrase the question. You know it, I know it. I guess, both of us (in comparison) would be good mayors.
[/quote]

No, slimy politician would, you know the kind rewrites his biography.  A good mayor would ask a direct question.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »

I would not equal eloquence to being slimy.
In Germany, such a sentence (because of our history) would be a complete no-go. You would have to resign immediately.

Nor would I, but I would equate editing a bio to make the candidate sound underprivileged as being very slimy.

Note as well that Germans don't vote in American elections.   
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »

Does it mean that you would walk up to a librarian bluntly and ask her to ban books or not?

It means that I would ask her the question, bluntly, on the record.  I want to know what the policy was, and I'd be asking questions.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »

People have been hounded to resignation over things very much like this - and less wideranging but similar in character - in Germany or Britain.
Not everytime, mind.

Palin isn't running in Germany or Britain.  Now, if Obama wants to use more  European sensibilities, that's fine.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »

People have been hounded to resignation over things very much like this - and less wideranging but similar in character - in Germany or Britain.
Not everytime, mind.

Palin isn't running in Germany or Britain.  Now, if Obama wants to use more  European sensibilities, that's fine.

sorry, I didn't know banning books was an American sensibility.

Sorry, asking questions about is.  BTW, even some the Democrats here have talked about some limitations, and certainly support age appropriate ones.

Well, at least this means that he would be popular in Europe.
McCain would be another Bush, and would divide the world even more.
This is not necessarily a bad thing- for Europe, Russia, and China (with the latter two not caring a thing anymore abou the US anymore), but is likely to be for the US.

I hate to tell you this, but none of these countries choose an American president.

My saying, to quote a European, is "It is better to be feared than loved."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »

My saying, to quote a European, is "It is better to be feared than loved."
It is interesting to see that- even, and especially today- people have not understood that we are living in a single world.

I do, that is why I made that statement.  I'm not really interested in global government.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »

Not everytime, mind.

sorry, I didn't know banning books was an American sensibility.

Sorry, asking questions about is.  BTW, even some the Democrats here have talked about some limitations, and certainly support age appropriate ones.

I don't think anyone rational would object to putting certain books in an "adults only" section, but that's not the issue here.

No, but neither is banning books, because Palin didn't try to ban any.

You know, we have a lot people here claiming things about Palin, but none of tseem to be based in fact.

I asked if Colbert was a member of Palin's church, and never got a response. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »

I do, that is why I made that statement.  I'm not really interested in global government.
Not in a global government, but working together globally.
Today, not only Wall Street is under pressure, but it is a world wide recession we are heading into, because of the US. Only two major american investment banks remain.
9/11 did happen because of these stupid policies. Afghanistan. The Iraq war. Why the US is hated by Russia, China, and the Arab nations. Why Europe starts to distance itself from the country which brought Democracy into Europe.

9-11 happened in spite of relative good will across the world.

Sorry, but unless you elect me Chancellor, your argument won't cut it.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies