Are these states pretty much out of play?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:11:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Are these states pretty much out of play?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Are these states pretty much out of play?  (Read 6501 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 11:24:13 PM »

Just a bit about me politically...I consider myself a moderate, "RINO" I guess..pro choice, and socially moderate and fiscally conservative.

You mean you are a Libertarian Smiley !!!

Hi - welcome to the Board - I am one of the quiet veterans around here - been on the board since 2004. - I kinda stay out of the nitty gritty day to day slogging, I just follow the polling.

Its a great board, and I know you will do you best to add and enhance an already great place!

Welcome aboard!

~~~The Vorlon~~
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »

I think people are really forgetting the fact that 2000 and 2004 were so unusual in that A.) they were so simmilar and B.) they were so close in the EV and PV. Most elections are won decisively, and most elections that aren't re-elections look very different from previous ones.

Of course, just because something usually has happened, doesn't mean that it will always happen. But I just think people are too set in the '00/'04 mold to realize that if anyone wins this election by just a few points, the map will look quite different from last year.

What states are possibly just going to be out of the blue of 00/04? This country is pretty much deadlocked right now.

Agreed. The palin pick seems to have excited just the people Bush needed to get elected while turning off those same moderate who were put off by Bush's cultural stands. Thus this election might look very similar to 2004. But still we will see huge movement towards Obama in some western states like MT and ND( not enough to win them obviously), while we see movement away from Obama in the upper south and WV. Also I doubt RI and MA will give the same high margin they gave Kerry. The upper midwest seems more solid towards Obama as well compared to 2004 but he is losing ground in places like Mi and OH as compared to 2004.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

I think people are really forgetting the fact that 2000 and 2004 were so unusual in that A.) they were so simmilar and B.) they were so close in the EV and PV. Most elections are won decisively, and most elections that aren't re-elections look very different from previous ones.

Of course, just because something usually has happened, doesn't mean that it will always happen. But I just think people are too set in the '00/'04 mold to realize that if anyone wins this election by just a few points, the map will look quite different from last year.

Excellent post.

I may be one of the few on this board old enough to remember the 1980 Reagan Carter election.  Pre-internet off course, so I'd actively devour all the news magazines for their maps and predictions.  Everyone had the race as a complete toss-up.

Since it was going to be so close,  I started an election pool at work, in which you picked each states electoral votes.  I still remember the guy with the winning entry--his theory was, all these "toss up states" will go the same way, so he just guessed Reagan, and won the pool easily. 

Not to say the same will happen this time but there is a good chance that one of the candidates will pull away in the final days and win every one of the "toss-ups" and most of the ones that are "leaners" for the other candidate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »

Four states close:

VA, NH:  Goes McCain

MI, PA:  Goes Obama

CO:  Tossup.
daboese
Germany

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »

I think NV, FL and OH are in play as well, and might eventually go to McCain in case the PV will be very tight.
Otherwise I agree.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies