McCain could carry Long Island, NY (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:54:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  McCain could carry Long Island, NY (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain could carry Long Island, NY  (Read 3769 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »

Long Island had a large 9/11 bounce and I doubt Mccain carries it. If Mccain wins any county on long island, he has won this election by a healthy margin.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »

Long Island had a large 9/11 bounce and I doubt Mccain carries it. If Mccain wins any county on long island, he has won this election by a healthy margin.

Well, the last Rasmussen poll shows Obama up by 13 in NY.  That means McCain at least carries Suffolk.

McCain is definitely going to win NY-1, though.

Yeah if Mccain loses by only 13 points in NY then he will definitely carry suffolk but I doubt he will win Nassau. Of course if he is only losing NY by 13 he has already won the election by at least 5 points. I don't think Obama's weakness is going to be on long island though. I expect him to lose more votes in the blue collar areas, perhaps even in the boroughs. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »

sbane..you have to remember though, because he's seen as more a moderate, he's going to attract democrats and independents.  Thus, he's going to outperform Bush in the northeast, even though he may not win a single state up here. 

It wouldn't surprise me if he broke 40% in MA and RI either as the polls there have been comfortable for Obama of course, but closer than the norm.  The same goes for NY.  It's also the same reason why you see Obama polling tighter than normal in NC, IN and MS (for a while). 

I agree Mccain will do better in MA and RI than Bush did. That is why Mccain has a good chance at NH as well, but I doubt he will improve in NY. Look at the swings in NY from 2000 to 2004. Many people who vote democrat usually and cannot stand Bush's folksiness, still voted for him in 2004 because of the 9/11 effect. These people will return back to their normal voting patterns and the only way Mccain can gain ground is by winning moderate republicans and independents. I think Obama is getting a good amount of that moderate republican vote currently and those people live on long island and Westchester, two places that should swing to Obama. CT is a good measure of this and it seems like that state is swinging to Obama as well.  Mccain will probably perform as well as Bush in the upstate if not a little better and the boroughs I am not too sure about. Those areas contain the blue collar whites Obama has been having trouble with.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies