[TN Democrat State Rep] Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:25:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  [TN Democrat State Rep] Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: [TN Democrat State Rep] Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking  (Read 5409 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:36:01 PM »

Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking
Memphis Commercial Appeal/Trevor Aaronson and Richard Locker
September 18, 2008

State Rep. Mike Kernell today declined to respond to online allegations his son is responsible for hacking into Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s e-mail account.

“My son’s the one in question, and I can’t comment on him,” said Kernell, a Memphis Democrat.

Bloggers have alleged David Kernell, 20, is the one who has claimed responsibility for accessing the Alaska governor’s e-mail account. The evidence is tenuous.

However, on Wednesday, the day the FBI and Secret Service launched an investigation that includes agents in Memphis. C.M. Sturgis, a spokesman for the Memphis FBI branch, confirmed late today that this office is involved.

“All I can say is that a matter was referred to us from the Anchorage, Alaska, office. An investigation at this time is being coordinated out of FBI headquarters in the Department of Justice,” Sturgis said.

Also Wednesday, a person using the e-mail address rubico10@yahoo.com posted to an online forum about how he used Yahoo! Mail’s password-recovery tool to obtain Palin’s password.

“i am the lurker who did it, and i would like to tell the story,” rubico10@yahoo.com wrote on the website 4chan.

--Snip--

In Nashville Thursday, Rep. Kernell would neither confirm nor deny his son had any involvement in hacking Palin’s e-mail account. Although Kernell said he was aware of the claims his son was responsible for hacking Palin’s e-mail, the politician would not address any of them.

“Father-son relationship,” Kernell explained.

The longtime legislator would not say whether rubico10@yahoo.com is his son’s e-mail address. “I can’t comment on my son,” he repeated.

Asked if he has been contacted by investigators, Kernell responded: “Me, no.”

“I can't say about my son,” he added. “That doesn't mean he has or hasn't been contacted.”

David Kernell, now a student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, could not be reached.

FBI and Secret Services officials have not identified suspects in the case.
----------
Interesting. 

While there's still no concrete proof that Kernell's son hacked Palin's e-mail, one would think that if State Representative Kernell's son wasn't the hacker, he'd be screaming that from the rooftops.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »

If this was Obama or Bidens email this would be all over the news.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »

It is all over the news.  Drudge has it.  The evening newscasts had it.  And if it's confirmed that it was a Democrat State Rep's son, the story will explode.  The question will become what did the Obama campaign know and when did they know it?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »

I think the fact that it is Palin's email actually makes it a bigger story.

I have an in-depth thread "How to Hack Sarah Palin's Email (a historical account)" recently if anyone is interested in the possible details of this event:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=83260.0
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:13:12 PM »

is irrational palin hate worth going to jail over?

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »

It is all over the news.  Drudge has it.  The evening newscasts had it.  And if it's confirmed that it was a Democrat State Rep's son, the story will explode.  The question will become what did the Obama campaign know and when did they know it?

you know it's entirely possible that just because the family of one democratic state senator may be involved, the Obama campaign still might not have had anything to do with it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

you know it's entirely possible that just because the family of one democratic state senator may be involved, the Obama campaign still might not have had anything to do with it.

Certainly is.  It's also possible the guy didn't do it.  But if he did, it looks really bad and will raise questions - especially if Obama hasn't said anything about this yet.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »

More:

UPDATE: FBI serves search warrant against UT student in Palin case

Synopsis: WBIR-TV in Knoxville is reporting that the FBI executed a search warrant against David Kernell in a midnight raid of his apartment last night.  His 3 roommates have been subpoenaed to appear before a Chatanooga grand jury next week.

Kernell is still innocent until proven guilty, but it appears that the noose is tightening.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »

Was any juice derived from the hack, or did it prove a dry hole?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »

This is such a moronic statement I can't even begin to address it. Oh, yes, the Obama campaign hired some amateur hacker who happens to be related to a nobody politician with no relation to the campaign to hack into Sarah Palin's private e-mail account and yet fail to publish anything of note, not because nothing was found, but because he didn't record most of it.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »

This is such a moronic statement I can't even begin to address it. Oh, yes, the Obama campaign hired some amateur hacker who happens to be related to a nobody politician with no relation to the campaign to hack into Sarah Palin's private e-mail account and yet fail to publish anything of note, not because nothing was found, but because he didn't record most of it.

Didn't record most of it, huh? That's a new one.

I do agree about the notion that the Obama Campaign had something to do with it. They aren't that dumb.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »

It's not a moronic statement.  If Obama doesn't get ahead of the story if/when David Kernell is indicted, that WILL become the question.  According to his now-defunct Facebook page, David Kernell is a self-described Obamacon.  His father is a Democrat state representative.  The optics don't look good at all.

What is it that the Democrats say all the time?  The nature of the evidence is irrelevant; it's the seriousness of the charge that matters.

By the way, the hacker said he went through all of Palin's e-mails and found nothing, not that nothing was found because he didn't record most of it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

It's not a moronic statement.  If Obama doesn't get ahead of the story if/when David Kernell is indicted, that WILL become the question.  According to his now-defunct Facebook page, David Kernell is a self-described Obamacon.  His father is a Democrat state representative.  The optics don't look good at all.

What is it that the Democrats say all the time?  The nature of the evidence is irrelevant; it's the seriousness of the charge that matters.

By the way, the hacker said he went through all of Palin's e-mails and found nothing, not that nothing was found because he didn't record most of it.

Well, at least it's good to know that you don't believe the bullsh**t, you're just peddling it.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »

I wonder whether they'll set up a legal defense fund for this kid.  If so, I'll be one of the first to donate to it.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 05:48:01 PM »

You think he is innocent?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

I don't presume to divine such things, but I think it would be a shame for his life to be ruined over this.

Besides, it exposed a weakness - it wasn't even hacking, but just good guessing, from what I've read.  Someone who thinks herself capable of being vice president of the United States should try a bit harder to secure her email, and she should conduct official business over official channels, not try to hide communications in a personal account.  But I digress.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »

I don't presume to divine such things, but I think it would be a shame for his life to be ruined over this.

Besides, it exposed a weakness - it wasn't even hacking, but just good guessing, from what I've read.  Someone who thinks herself capable of being vice president of the United States should try a bit harder to secure her email, and she should conduct official business over official channels, not try to hide communications in a personal account.  But I digress.

Laws don't matter. The stupid b*tch deserved it.  Got it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 06:00:27 PM »

Oh, this was all her fault that some kid tried to screw around with her account?  Roll Eyes  That's not the most biased take on this.

I guess I can go tresspassing, find an establishment without their doors locked, walk around and blame the tenant.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »

It's a private account. He has no right to look at it. It's like opening up someone's mail from their (physical) mailbox.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »

This heinous hacking crime is no doubt the work of some leftist looney ranting raving pinko commie sleazebag attention whore liberal elitist with too much time on his hands.

Perhaps he would like to spend too much time in prison and take his chances with the inmates there.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 06:51:48 PM »

This heinous hacking crime is no doubt the work of some leftist looney ranting raving pinko commie sleazebag attention whore liberal elitist with too much time on his hands.

Perhaps he would like to spend too much time in prison and take his chances with the inmates there.

Oh, please...... it sounds like the hacker didn't gain anything except for some jail time and on top of that whomever it was hit the wrong email account anyways.

This is such a non-issue.... If Palin had only used her official email account, the hacker would not have been able to gain access to any files whatsoever. It doesn't seem like she kept any incriminating emails in this account anyways, and the perp will get caught.

This is totally irrelevant to anything, and is less of an issue than the passport file hack of six months ago.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »

If Palin had only used her official email account, the hacker would not have been able to gain access to any files whatsoever.

Are you people really justifying this and blaming Palin? Really?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »

If Palin had only used her official email account, the hacker would not have been able to gain access to any files whatsoever.

Phil, I am not justifying it, but to make such a huge deal out of some stupid 19 year old kid that obviously did this on his own, and will face the consequences of his actions, is ridiculous.

I'm talking as someone who has several friends that own their own computer repair businesses that are amazed that she tried to avoid going through the more secure state run servers and instead chooses email accounts that are easily hackable.

BTW: I don't appreciate "you people", and I believe I have tried to avoid this guilt-by-association mentality that you seem to be operating off of here.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »

Oh, please...... it sounds like the hacker didn't gain anything except for some jail time and on top of that whomever it was hit the wrong email account anyways.

This is such a non-issue.... If Palin had only used her official email account, the hacker would not have been able to gain access to any files whatsoever. It doesn't seem like she kept any incriminating emails in this account anyways, and the perp will get caught.

This is totally irrelevant to anything, and is less of an issue than the passport file hack of six months ago.

If only Palin had used her official e-mail account for PERSONAL business, the MSM and so-called "progressives" would be complaining that she had misused state resources.  Republicans can't win.

The hacker found NOTHING in Palin's personal accounts, except PERSONAL e-mails.  NOTHING.  Is a politician not allowed to have a personal e-mail account? 

Despite the MSM and "progressive" spin, Obama wasn't the only candidate whose passport file was hacked.  And from what I understand, it may have been an Obama SUPPORTER who looked into his passport file.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »

Phil, I am not justifying it, but to make such a huge deal out of some stupid 19 year old kid that obviously did this on his own, and will face the consequences of his actions, is ridiculous.

^ This.

That Palin's incompetence is once again exposed is merely a byproduct of this incident.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies