[TN Democrat State Rep] Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:18:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  [TN Democrat State Rep] Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: [TN Democrat State Rep] Kernell mum as feds probe Palin e-mail hacking  (Read 5413 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

Are you people really justifying this and blaming Palin? Really?
Phil, I am not justifying it, but to make such a huge deal out of some stupid 19 year old kid that obviously did this on his own, and will face the consequences of his actions, is ridiculous.

^ This.

That Palin's incompetence is once again exposed is merely a byproduct of this incident.

If incompetence=truthfully answering Yahoo!'s security questions, are you equally incompetent? 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »

Phil, I am not justifying it, but to make such a huge deal out of some stupid 19 year old kid that obviously did this on his own, and will face the consequences of his actions, is ridiculous.

^ This.

That Palin's incompetence is once again exposed is merely a byproduct of this incident.

Again, no blame assigned to the asshole who did this. No, it's all about how Palin is "incompetent."  Roll Eyes

Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »

^ This.

If incompetence=truthfully answering Yahoo!'s security questions, are you equally incompetent? 

"You" meaning me?  First, I use Gmail, not cool-circa-1998 Yahoo, for my personal correspondence, but if I were governor of a state, I would try to make it a bit tougher to crack my email password.  My password-prompt questions and answers are always very cryptic, and I have no reason to suspect that anyone would want to read my messages.  Surely she knew that lots of people would want to read hers.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »

^ This.

Again, no blame assigned to the asshole who did this. No, it's all about how Palin is "incompetent."  Roll Eyes

Anyway, my main takeaway from this incident was that I don't want to see some kid's life ruined for a prank done through true sleuthing, rather than hacking.  No, he shouldn't have done it, but prison seems far too harsh for such an offense.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »

^ This.

"You" meaning me?  First, I use Gmail, not cool-circa-1998 Yahoo, for my personal correspondence, but if I were governor of a state, I would try to make it a bit tougher to crack my email password.  My password-prompt questions and answers are always very cryptic, and I have no reason to suspect that anyone would want to read my messages.  Surely she knew that lots of people would want to read hers.

Once again, laws don't matter. The stupid b*tch deserved it.  Got it.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »

^ This.

Once again, laws don't matter. The stupid b*tch deserved it.  Got it.

You can keep repeating that, but I find it disrespectful to Governor Palin, our future vice president!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 07:52:48 PM »

^ This.

Anyway, my main takeaway from this incident was that I don't want to see some kid's life ruined for a prank done through true sleuthing, rather than hacking.  No, he shouldn't have done it, but prison seems far too harsh for such an offense.

I love how Palin being a Vice Presidential candidate meant that she's enough of a big deal to have "known better" but apparently she isn't big enough for this kid to suffer from a serious punishment.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »

^ This.

I love how Palin being a Vice Presidential candidate meant that she's enough of a big deal to have "known better" but apparently she isn't big enough for this kid to suffer from a serious punishment.

The stature of the victim has no bearing whatsoever on my impression of the appropriate consequence for the offender, as it should not in any criminal case.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 07:55:06 PM »

^ This.

Once again, laws don't matter. The stupid b*tch deserved it.  Got it.

Law enforcement is on top of it... Obama's campaign has nothing to do with it!!!!

Like I said, if I were trying to protect my personal email accounts, particularly once I was selected as VP, I would make sure that I did it through accounts that were not potentially compromised.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »

Law enforcement is on top of it... Obama's campaign has nothing to do with it!!!!

Who here is saying that the Obama campaign was invovled?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »

i have a hunch that if joe biden's private email was hacked, nutmeg wouldnt contribute to the legal defense fund of some young twerp accused of the crime.

just a hunch.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »

i have a hunch that if joe biden's private email was hacked, nutmeg wouldnt contribute to the legal defense fund of some young twerp accused of the crime.

just a hunch.

Oh, come on. Don't be like that! He's an "independent!"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

just a hunch.

So is GoldenBoy.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »

You don't know for sure that the Obama campaign has nothing to do with it.  They've said nothing at all about it, as far as I know - no denial.  Anything is possible.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yep.  Laws don't matter. The stupid b*tch deserved it.  Got it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:54 PM »

just a hunch.

So is GoldenBoy.

I don't deny that he's biased. Your point?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »

just a hunch.

I sure would.  Can't prove it, though, so you've got me there.  In any case, my sympathy to stupid kids' committing stupid pranks is greater than the force of my political ideology.

It's rather obnoxious to attempt to discredit others based on their stated partisan affiliations, but if you were to inspect my voting history, no party has received an outright majority of my votes over time.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand: if this kid is guilty, how long should we lock him away?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008, 08:11:37 PM »

You don't know for sure that the Obama campaign has nothing to do with it.  They've said nothing at all about it, as far as I know - no denial.  Anything is possible.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yep.  Laws don't matter. The stupid b*tch deserved it.  Got it.

Give me a frickin' break! Look current evidence indicates it is some college kid whose dad happens to be Dem state Rep from TN, who hacked the account. The Obama campaign has much bigger fish to fry, even assuming that they were in the business of email account hacking.

I have never said the Palin "deserved to be hacked", simply that she was a little naive in not protecting her information better knowing that there would be di**wads that would most likely try to hack her account.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »

Give me a frickin' break! Look current evidence indicates it is some college kid whose dad happens to be Dem state Rep from TN, who hacked the account. The Obama campaign has much bigger fish to fry, even assuming that they were in the business of email account hacking.

I have never said the Palin "deserved to be hacked", simply that she was a little naive in not protecting her information better knowing that there would be di**wads that would most likely try to hack her account.

I'm sure if some "kid" who was a member of UT Republicans, UTK for McCain and the McCain Facebook group and whose dad "just happened" to be a Republican state Rep from TN hacked into Obama's e-mail accounts, every "progressive" would be blaming KKKarl Rove, George Bush and the McCain campaign for the attack.  And no "progressives" would be downplaying the "kid's" crime or blaming Obama for "not protecting his information better".
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

Yes, Oregon Progressive, that is what you and I have both said, more or less, but it matters not to those with a victim/sexism complex with regard to their candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »

Anyway, back to the issue at hand: if this kid is guilty, how long should we lock him away?

What's the standard punishment here? I don't know if I necessarily agree with jail time. I'm just irritated that some of you don't seem to care about punishing the kid because it's apparently all Palin's fault.

Yes, Oregon Progressive, that is what you and I have both said, more or less, but it matters not to those with a victim/sexism complex with regard to their candidate.

You both basically said that she got what she had coming to her.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »

What's the standard punishment here? I don't know if I necessarily agree with jail time. I'm just irritated that some of you don't seem to care about punishing the kid because it's apparently all Palin's fault.

You both basically said that she got what she had coming to her.

You are both being ridiculous here.... no one has claimed that this is not criminal behavior, nor has either of you argued that Obama is responsible for the transgression in any way shape or form.

We can argue about the best means of protecting one's email from hackers, particularly for those in high-profile positions, but that argument is clearly wasted here.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »

I don't care about punishing the kid because it was so ingenious of him.  Had he actually defeated her security through hacking, that would be a different story.  I find this whole story such a ridiculous sideshow to the campaign - what other public official but Palin would have the place she met her husband as her password hint?

I haven't been able to determine what crime, if any, he could be charged with, and the news articles are rather vague on the matter.  If it had been her mailbox at the state capitol, or the one beside her driveway at home, then things would be more clear (mail fraud having granted us a rather well-developed body of case law).  Does anyone know?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:54 PM »

I don't care about punishing the kid because it was so ingenious of him.  Had he actually defeated her security through hacking, that would be a different story.  I find this whole story such a ridiculous sideshow to the campaign - who else but Palin would have the place she met her husband as her password hint?

It was ingenious? That excuses this? You can hack someone's account and get away with it because it was smart?

You are both being ridiculous here.... no one has claimed that this is not criminal behavior

Check the genius post above mine.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

I don't care about punishing the kid because it was so ingenious of him.  Had he actually defeated her security through hacking, that would be a different story.  I find this whole story such a ridiculous sideshow to the campaign - what other public official but Palin would have the place she met her husband as her password hint?

I haven't been able to determine what crime, if any, he could be charged with, and the news articles are rather vague on the matter.  If it had been her mailbox at the state capitol, or the one beside her driveway at home, then things would be more clear (mail fraud having granted us a rather well-developed body of case law).  Does anyone know?

Ask former Philadelphia anchorman Larry Mendte whether hacking someone's e-mail is a federal crime.  Hint: it is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2008, 08:57:13 PM »

Ask former Philadelphia anchorman Larry Mendte whether hacking someone's e-mail is a federal crime.  Hint: it is.

Haha, that's right. How did I not think of that one? Oh well. Larry can defend himself with a very simple argument: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...it was an ingenious move!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies