Would Romney Have Been a Stronger Candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:07:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would Romney Have Been a Stronger Candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would Romney Have Been a Stronger Candidate  (Read 4414 times)
humder
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:39:16 AM »

With the economy being the top issue, Romney is much stronger on the economy than McCain. However, Romney does not have that maverick image, unlike McCain.
 Who do you think would have been the stronger candidate?
charltonNick
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »

with hindsight Romney would have been better for the reasons you outline, and would likely have won the nomination if Huckabee hadn't ruined it for him in Iowa
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:29:39 AM »

This election would already be over if Romney was on the ticket.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 07:33:08 AM »

No.  McCain was probably the only candidate that could win this election for the Republicans, and even with that he the Democrats needed to nominate Obama.  There is probably the ONLY matchup with any of the candidates on either side the GOP could win
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »

No.  Romney is not really stronger on the economy.  He is a bad product in flashy packaging.  He couldn't beat McCain in a Republican primary and there's no way he would outperform McCain in a general election.
mypalfish
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:40:32 AM »

Nope.

For whatever reason, Romeny never connected with voters.  Some candidates just don't have the ability to make that sale.  The guy is smart and articulate, but just doesn't have that "it" factor.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »

Lol no. This election would have been over long ago.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »

I'd say the tracking polls would have been around 55-38 Obama right now.  The above poster was right, Romney just doesn't have "it".  He led by good margins in IA and NH in the primaries and never really came close. 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »

If Romney was the candidate, Obama's ads on the economy would be thus:

"Do you trust the guy who is down to his last $200 million to know what it's like for your family to struggle to pay the bills?" Better yet - have Biden saying that...

"Do you trust the guy who is down to his last $200 million to know what it's like for your family to struggle to pay the bills? I grew up as the son of a factory worker and I know what it's like to wonder how you're going to make ends meet. But if I can demonstrate to you one thing it's this - that America is still the land of opportunity, where the son of a factory worker can become the Vice President of the greatest nation on earth..." (my apologies, it's late and I'm blabbering).
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:13:45 AM »

Winfield in 3...2...1...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »

Nope; Romney would be getting slaughtered if he were the nominee.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »

No. Mittens sucks as a campaigner, has a patrician image, and does not appeal to "sinners."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »

Romney's economic credentials are firmly on the business-side of the issues. He would be losing every Rust Belt state by double-digits at this point. How he would fare elsewhere, I'm not really sure.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

Romney's economic credentials are firmly on the business-side of the issues. He would be losing every Rust Belt state by double-digits at this point. How he would fare elsewhere, I'm not really sure.

I agree Romney seems like  the new CEO that just came in and slashed 8,000 jobs, I don't think he would play well in Youngstown or Scranton
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »

Romney would have changed the map, but the polling would never have been as good.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »

J. J. probably honestly believes Romney would be favored in Michigan *chuckles*
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

So if Mccain is within striking distance of Obama in Michigan right now, why couldn't Romney be slightly ahead  considering he did perform there well in the primary against Mccain and thus a reasonable person could conclude Romney is stronger in Michigan than Mccain
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »

So if Mccain is within striking distance of Obama in Michigan right now, why couldn't Romney be slightly ahead  considering he did perform there well in the primary against Mccain and thus a reasonable person could conclude Romney is stronger in Michigan than Mccain

By that logic Obama should be ahead in Utah now as he had a strong showing in the primary and McCain did horrendous.

Romney won 338,316 votes with 4,839,252 cast in the state in 2004. And how many of those votes were sincere and not just malicious crossover Democrats? And how many of those sincere Romney voters are not voting for McCain now already? Once again you fail to show logical comprehension behind the second grade.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »

I wouldn't even vote for a McCain-Romney ticket let alone Romney on top of a ticket.

There are a lot of people, Republicans included, who cannot stand him.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »

Hell no. John McCain was the only candidate the Republican Party could have nominated that at least had a chance to keep the White House in Republican control for another four years. Mitt Romney on the other hand would have given the keys to Barack Obama by now if he were the Republican nominee.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »

I wouldn't even vote for a McCain-Romney ticket let alone Romney on top of a ticket.

There are a lot of people, Republicans included, who cannot stand him.

Agreed. I would have seriously supported either Clinton or Obama if Romney had been the nominee. My opinion of him has improved somewhat since then, but I still don't like the guy.
AtlMini
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

IMO I think it was a weak year for Republicans. Romney who really to me seemed like a CEO as someone pointed out earlier, Thompson with his rambling and incoherent speeches and Huckabee with
limited knowledge of economic conditions and religiosity.  And finally Rudy Giulianii who only could talk about 9-11 till he was blue in the face.  I was glad McCain got it.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 04:52:49 PM »

IMO I think it was a weak year for Republicans. Romney who really to me seemed like a CEO as someone pointed out earlier, Thompson with his rambling and incoherent speeches and Huckabee with
limited knowledge of economic conditions and religiosity.  And finally Rudy Giulianii who only could talk about 9-11 till he was blue in the face.  I was glad McCain got it.

I actually think Rudy Giuliani would wipe the floor with Obama If he some how got the nomination...New York would certainly be in play , As a social moderate New Jersey would be in play for the first time in years , plus Obama has never ran against anyone who could land a blow like  Giuliani   (see his convention speech)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

I actually think Rudy Giuliani would wipe the floor with Obama If he some how got the nomination...New York would certainly be in play , As a social moderate New Jersey would be in play for the first time in years , plus Obama has never ran against anyone who could land a blow like  Giuliani   (see his convention speech)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! HA! HA HA ho ho hehehe and I thought my jokes were bad!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 05:10:37 PM »

I always found it amusing that Romney could pull off this:

Romney: "I'm really strong on the economy"
Everyone else: "Romney is really strong on the economy"

I never heard anyone explain in any exact terms WHY Romney was so strong on the economy. Yeah, he wanted to revive the car industry in Michigan and promised jobs that are gone to China would magically come back. A sure sign of competent economic management.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies