Battleground Tracking Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:44:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Battleground Tracking Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Battleground Tracking Poll  (Read 18127 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2008, 09:09:40 AM »

Battleground had kinda acted like they were going to do a tracking poll last week, and I believe someone had posted one of the results here, but I was leery that they were actually going to start.

With them actually posting results today, I see no reason why they're not going to start, except that they don't poll on Friday/Saturday and last week didn't poll on Monday/Tuesday.  Nonetheless, we have this language:

The firms are currently conducting a rolling national tracking poll with N=200 interviews per night on Sunday night through Thursday night.

Usual caveats apply - 200 per day means strong swings and this poll does have a slight GOP lean, imho.  But it does have a pretty good track record.

Today:  McCain 48, Obama 47, Undecided 6
Last Friday:  McCain 47, Obama 47, Undecided 6
Last Thursday:  McCain 48, Obama 46, Undecided 6

http://www.tarrance.com/files/2-way-ballot-trender-9-22.pdf
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »

It has a slight GOP lean because it uses a hard weight of roughly D+3. They have a hard time believing the electorate changes all that much in four years, and frankly so do I.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »

Unsticky. Or sticky DailyDemocraticHackery.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »

The rule is that every tracking poll being included in the RealClearPolitics averages gets stickied.

It's also worth mentioning that the sticky is primarily to assist those who will be posting daily updates of the numbers, not to confer any degree of legitimacy to the results posted therein. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »

The rule is that every tracking poll being included in the RealClearPolitics averages gets stickied.
Since when is RCP a legitimate source? Tongue
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »

Touche. Wink

Still, I think most would agree this is a more legitimate poll than DailyKos.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »

Careful now, because if history is our basis, it deserves more to be stickied than Diageo for example (what is its record?).  

Though someone will always be happy to bump Daily Kos up, whether it's me or one of their members.

Truthfully, I have no problem with the Daily Kos thing being stickied.  We're smart enough, hopefully, to be able to make the distinction.  My problem is putting internal polls in the database.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

Touche. Wink

Hardweighting to just a 3% Dem advantage? Yeah, right. If R2000's partisan weighting is partisanly motivated, then so is this.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »

Touche. Wink

Hardweighting to just a 3% Dem advantage? Yeah, right. If R2000's partisan weighting is partisanly motivated, then so is this.

True. Ok, I stickied DKos now too. The rabbits told me to do it.......
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »

I can't wait for the ARG tracking poll!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »

I can't wait for the ARG tracking poll!
Cheesy

By 2012 at the latest... possibly by next week. Grin

Yeah, if these tracking polls keep sprouting all over the place, it might make sense to unsticky all but Gallupsen again... not that I absolutely trust these, but at least they have a much longer track record...
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »

I only really care about Rasmussen and Gallup. I find this poll and the DailyKos one useless.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2008, 07:16:33 PM by The Vorlon »

Compare the final Battleground poll in each of the last 4 presidential elections to the actual results.

That will answer rather clearly why this poll deserves to be included in the averages.

We can argue a point or two here or there regarding the weighting, (I would call it a point or two GOP friendly, but I have been wrong before....) but this is a very solid poll run by two very well respected pollsters (One a Democrat, one a Republican)

As with all polls, you need to be able to trust the trendlines, even if the absolute number may bounce around a point or two...

The Terrance Group (Eg Goas) and Celinda Lake are well known and respected pollsters

'nuff said Smiley
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »

This is a BIPARTISAN and reliable poll.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »

A very good polling organization.  I'd trust their numbers more than Gallup, and perhaps a little more than Rasmussen.
mypalfish
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »

What was the Rep/Dem breakdown in the 2006 elections?   Wouldn't that be the worst case scenario for the GOP?  That was the most depressed and unmotivated I can remember our local headquarters being.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »

What was the Rep/Dem breakdown in the 2006 elections?   Wouldn't that be the worst case scenario for the GOP?  That was the most depressed and unmotivated I can remember our local headquarters being.

The CNN national exit poll for the HoR was Dem 38, GOP 36, Ind 26.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/US/H/00/epolls.0.html

Rasmussen's party weights at that point were around Dem +6.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 03:32:43 AM »

I only really care about Rasmussen and Gallup. I find this poll and the DailyKos one useless.

I agree.

But just have a look each day on "other national trackings" only for their trend, not for their absolute level: this is why it can be interesting, just to confirm or not the trend of Gallup and Rasmussen.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 07:50:23 AM »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
McCain 48% (nc)
Obama 46% (-1)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:51:45 AM »

Very good news. Shows that when you use a realistic party ID, you get realistic results.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:13:59 AM »

I don't believe that's a worst-case scenario, no, because my understanding is that Democrats, Independents, and Republicans all turned out solidly for their candidates, but the second group voted heavily with the first. This is why Republicans held their own in the southeast, a few exceptions aside, and also held the ordinarily safe Republican open seats.

That said, I can't imagine a worse scenario transpiring this year, although the Republicans do have the potential to lose even more Senators than they did in '06 if two of Oregon, Minnesota, and North Carolina tip to the Democrats.
mypalfish
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
McCain 48% (nc)
Obama 46% (-1)

I'd love for this result to be right, but we know it's off.

A question for any experts out there...what happens when a polling firm like this get a result that is out of whack with every bit of other polling out there.  Do they know they screwed things up and try to make corrections in the next sample?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:47 AM »

I don't believe that's a worst-case scenario, no, because my understanding is that Democrats, Independents, and Republicans all turned out solidly for their candidates, but the second group voted heavily with the first. This is why Republicans held their own in the southeast, a few exceptions aside, and also held the ordinarily safe Republican open seats.

That said, I can't imagine a worse scenario transpiring this year, although the Republicans do have the potential to lose even more Senators than they did in '06 if two of Oregon, Minnesota, and North Carolina tip to the Democrats.

Unless you think Uncle Ted's going to be acquitted, you only need one of the three.

Of course, I suspect that if the Dems get more than 5, they'll kick Lieberman out, so maybe your numbers are right.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 08:29:56 AM »

Unless you think Uncle Ted's going to be acquitted, you only need one of the three.

Republicans lost 6 seats in 2006: RI, PA, OH, MO, MT, VA. In 2008, VA, NM, NH, CO, and AK make 5. To lose more seats than they lost in 2006, the Republicans would need to lose seven, i.e. two more from OR, MN, and NC.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »

Very good news. Shows that when you use a realistic party ID, you get realistic results.

LOL. You're a far right hack. Change your avatar to blue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies