McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:50:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate  (Read 15191 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »

I think you've misread your own historical example, J.J. Going to Korea was about applying Eisenhower's experience to the mess created by the Democrats. It worked for him because he had credibility on foreign policy while the Democrats had none.

Most people would agree McCain's in the opposite position. He's weak on the economy and is, whether justified or not, closely associated with the incumbent administration who's policies and oversight are being blamed for the current crisis.

A better example might be McGovern's visit to Vietnam after he'd secured the nomination in 1972. An all-but-forgotten event, it did nothing to dispel the impression of McGovern as soft on military issues and foreign policy. It was a publicity stunt that failed badly.

No, this is on a par with Eisenhower, because it goes with two strengths McCain has, bipartisanship and leadership.  This isn't really about the economy; it's about leadership.  McCain looks like a doer; Obama looks like a talker.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:11 PM »

I think you've misread your own historical example, J.J. Going to Korea was about applying Eisenhower's experience to the mess created by the Democrats. It worked for him because he had credibility on foreign policy while the Democrats had none.

Most people would agree McCain's in the opposite position. He's weak on the economy and is, whether justified or not, closely associated with the incumbent administration who's policies and oversight are being blamed for the current crisis.

A better example might be McGovern's visit to Vietnam after he'd secured the nomination in 1972. An all-but-forgotten event, it did nothing to dispel the impression of McGovern as soft on military issues and foreign policy. It was a publicity stunt that failed badly.

No, this is on a par with Eisenhower, because it goes with two strengths McCain has, bipartisanship and leadership.  This isn't really about the economy; it's about leadership.  McCain looks like a doer; Obama looks like a talker.

So I assume you are predicting a McCain surge in the tracking polls in the next couple days?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »

So I assume you are predicting a McCain surge in the tracking polls in the next couple days?

He's on record as predicting a tie in Gallup by the end of the week.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »

J.J., I'm hoping your just trolling.  This is making McCain look either very panicky or very calculating.  It is not making him look presidential at all.   If McCain wanted to look like a doer as you put it, he'd be laying out a clear idea of what he thinks the bailout should look like.  Instead, what ideas he does have on the subject are being hopelessly blurred in the public perception by this stunt.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »

J.J., I'm hoping your just trolling.  This is making McCain look either very panicky or very calculating.  It is not making him look presidential at all.   If McCain wanted to look like a doer as you put it, he'd be laying out a clear idea of what he thinks the bailout should look like.  Instead, what ideas he does have on the subject are being hopelessly blurred in the public perception by this stunt.

McCain has a bailout plan, and has released it to the public.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »

And how much press has his plan gotten?  A press release on the campaign web site five days ago is hardly pushing his ideas.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:43 PM »

And how much press has his plan gotten?  A press release on the campaign web site five days ago is hardly pushing his ideas.

He's spoken about it (in Michigan, IIRC) and a snippet or two got on the evening news.  Now, he gets to bring that plan to Washington.

But my main point is that your initial point was incorrect - McCain HAS laid out a clear idea of what he thinks the bailout should look like.   I don't think Obama has (IIRC, he claims to have a plan but hasn't released it).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »

No, two things have to happen.  1.  The legislation has to pass.  2.  The markets have to react favorably.  Those are the first two things.  There has to a sense that McCain has been a leader in solving a crisis.  It will take several weeks for that effect.  I would say a consistent lead in the tracking polls after that, probably mid October, assuming it's solved this weekend.

Solving a crisis, with bipartisanship, is almost the definition of being president.  He just had to provide the leadership, and the Democrats are handing him that on a silver platter.

No panic, but a great deal of calculation, and I would add cynicism.  There is nothing dainty about this, nor was there the Palin choice.  This is hardball.  
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »

He's spoken about it (in Michigan, IIRC) and a snippet or two got on the evening news.  Now, he gets to bring that plan to Washington.

But my main point is that your initial point was incorrect - McCain HAS laid out a clear idea of what he thinks the bailout should look like.   I don't think Obama has (IIRC, he claims to have a plan but hasn't released it).

That press release doesn't strike me as particularly clear.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2008, 01:27:14 AM »

Apparently they didn't need John

The Hill reports
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So what will he do in Washington now? How will he give the impression he solved the crisis when it appears they can do it without either Obama or McCain

Will McCain not debate now? will he say that he cant debate until the bill is signed, even if it looks like it will sail through?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2008, 01:41:12 AM »

The Hill reports

So what will he do in Washington now? How will he give the impression he solved the crisis when it appears they can do it without either Obama or McCain

Will McCain not debate now? will he say that he cant debate until the bill is signed, even if it looks like it will sail through?

Because, they still won't vote for it without McCain voting for it, and that applies to members of both parties.  "Ideally" and "reality" are two different things.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2008, 01:52:41 AM »

The Hill reports

There are Republicans in the Senate, you know.  Just because Senate Democrats think they have a deal doesn't mean what they have will pass the Senate - or match what comes out of the House.

And Harry Reid was for McCain going to Washington before he turned against it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:25 AM »

Is everyone here so literally blinded that they cannot see this is complete theatre? Anyone who thinks this was an honest and noble move by McCain with the purest of intentions is delusional, seriously.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2008, 03:51:18 AM »

Is everyone here so literally blinded that they cannot see this is complete theatre? Anyone who thinks this was an honest and noble move by McCain with the purest of intentions is delusional, seriously.

I think a lot of people see through this, and see it as the desperate political move that it is. But the Democrats were against McCain anyways, and the Republicans don't let reality affect what they say.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2008, 04:10:43 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2008, 04:12:49 AM by Politico »

McCain holding all of the cards? What the heck? Democrats control Congress. If they want, they can create gridlock on this through November. What is McCain going to do then - suspend his campaign through November 4? That's a brilliant plan!

This is pure theater, and America is not falling for it.

What this ultimately reveals: McCain is still an ardent Republican supporter of Bush, whose Republican policies encouraged the environment that has produced this fiscal insanity. Republican John McCain is just more of the same. Do you really want that? Does America really want that?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2008, 04:31:21 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2008, 04:33:11 AM by cinyc »

Well, if it is theater, Harry Reid started it yesterday by saying “We need the Republican nominee for president to let us know where he stands and what we should do.”

The Republican nominee for president is coming to Washington to tell you should do.   Why are you complaining now, Senator Reid?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »

I thought McCain suspended his campaign temporarily?

This speech for the Clinton Global Initiative sounds an awful lot like a stump speech.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2008, 08:45:41 AM »

I'm not sure what to make of this move...kind of like the bailout.

When I first heard about the AIG bailout...I said outloud "Why!?" Now with this one...I'm conflicted. Is the economy in so much danger that this is 100% necessary...hearing President Bush say words about the economy that he never does tends to make me believe the President knows that if the bailout doesn't happen...things will be bad. At the same time, why not just let the economy run it's course and pick up the pieces later?

It's a very confliciting thing.

I like the idea of Obama, McCain and Bush meeting up. I almost get the feeling that Obama is beginning to think "Uh oh...I'm gonna be President and have an absolute mess and stressful job ahead!" I usually don't think this...but this time...I do feel bad for the stress the next President will have to endure.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:32 AM »

Here's the problem with that... there are only 41 days until the election.. there is no way the bailout can work in that amount of time.. and even if the market bottoms.. sentiment will take a while to come back

Am I the only one who thinks it might not be such a good idea for McCain to be seen as closely associated with the bailout?

If the bailout is successful and the market recovers, McCain will all but win in a landslide.  If the bailout fails, McCain loses in a landslide.  It's worth the risk sometimes.

There will be plenty of initial signs showing whether or not the bailout is successful. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »

ABC News' Nitya Venkataraman Reports: Former President Bill Clinton defended Sen. John McCain's request to delay the first presidential debate, saying McCain did it in "good faith" and pushed organizers to reserve time for economy talk during the debate if the Friday plans move forward.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2008, 11:35:48 AM »

John McCain hasn't even read Paulson's (3-page-long) plan. What a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsNOEgp-_o
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies