Marriage Equity Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:57:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marriage Equity Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marriage Equity Act  (Read 7302 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: September 11, 2004, 08:58:59 PM »

For my second piece of legislation, an idea whose time has come:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that no citizen shall be denied the ability to enter into the marriage contract or enjoy any of the benefits thereof on account of sex.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:04:10 PM »

I figured I might as well get the major social issues out of the way before I introduce my omnibus economic plan.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 09:14:04 AM »

Yes there is. Some might be chuffed that we are now separate but equal, but I am unwilling to accept that we have been treated as second-class citizens by civil unions, the Plessy v. Ferguson of sexual orientation. I dare you to veto this, John. If you do, we know whose side you're on.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 02:47:56 PM »

If civil unions and marriages are the same, then why do they have different names? The reason why is that marriage is treated as a bulwark of traditionalism, and something we are not allowed to participate in. Because they are on a technical level not marriage, civil unions can never acquire the same respect from society that marriage has. Symbolic, yes, but a crucial distinction. As a citizen who fulfills all the responsibilites of citizenship, I expect to enjoy all of its privileges.

I would now like you to provide me a legitimate reason for only allowing civil unions, other than mollifying social conservatives.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 02:51:41 PM »

Regardless of how civilization has viewed this in the past, I see no reason why we need to repeat their mistakes. The time for a new concept of marriage is at hand. Our Senate can deny this, and live in the past, but the world will change without us.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 02:50:23 PM »

Perhaps this would be better:

It shall be the stated policy of the forum that the definition of marriage shall not be construed to deny a person the right to enter into a marriage contract with a person of the same gender nor enjoy any of the benefits thereof.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »

Yes. My old version would do exactly what I said it would if interpreted correctly. The alternate interpretations are utterly grammatical and narrow, and certainly not in keeping with the wording of the law. But I have decided to change the bill to make it wayward judge proof.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 11:05:04 AM »

I'd be comfortable to have a vote based on the date I put the version out for review.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 11:36:28 AM »

Aye.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 02:48:29 PM »

I thank the administration for not bowing to political pressure and recognizing equal rights under the law.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies