Marriage Equity Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:00:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marriage Equity Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marriage Equity Act  (Read 7229 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: September 12, 2004, 06:21:43 AM »

For my second piece of legislation, an idea whose time has come:

It shall be the stated policy of the Forum that no citizen shall be denied the ability to enter into the marriage contract or enjoy any of the benefits thereof on account of sex.

Ummm, we effectively already have this with the Civil Unions Acted that the Senate passed months ago. The only difference this would make is to change the name from "civil union" to "marriage". Is there really any point in changing it?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 10:19:01 AM »

Yes there is. Some might be chuffed that we are now separate but equal, but I am unwilling to accept that we have been treated as second-class citizens by civil unions, the Plessy v. Ferguson of sexual orientation. I dare you to veto this, John. If you do, we know whose side you're on.

Migrendel, don't make assumptions, they make an ass out of u (you). I have never once stated I oppose homosexual marriages, in fact, as far as I can recall I have only ever made statements in SUPPORT of them. If you had spent more time around the fantasy boards you would know that I was the original proposer of the civil unions act, it is called sensible steps, rather than giant leaps.

You seem to see things as clear cut, us and them, black and white. You seem to fail to understand, however, the different shades of grey.

Also, note that Supreme Court decisions in the United States of America have no relevance in the United States of ATLASIA. So, explain to me what the point of changing the name from "civil unions" to "marriage" is, because so far you haven't given me a reason, you have just said that a different name makes you second-class citizens. Explain exactly why.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:10:56 AM »

I may not see the point in this after we had the civil unions act......but I will still sign it.

John F. Kennedy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies