You're welcome, jmfcst and Naso
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:42:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  You're welcome, jmfcst and Naso
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You're welcome, jmfcst and Naso  (Read 1737 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:02:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YYplAoEdDs

1984 Miss Alaska final
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »

doesn't do it for me, but I'm glad she was able to earn some money to pay for college.  It's not easy paying your way through college, but she succeeded.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »

She looks better now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »

Yeah, except for Naso, '80s fashion doesn't do it for a lot of people.

And the whole pageant shuffle thing... really takes away from it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:06:13 PM »

Too bad the video wasn't better quality.  And that trumpet sucked.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »

Too bad the video wasn't better quality.

It was surprising enough to discover that technology existed at all in Alaska in 1984, much less a camcorder of any quality.

I wonder if a hi-res version of the video might have revealed that her swimsuit was in fact made of hessian.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »

Too bad the video wasn't better quality.

It was surprising enough to discover that technology existed at all in Alaska in 1984, much less a camcorder of any quality.

I wonder if a hi-res version of the video might have revealed that her swimsuit was in fact made of hessian.

HAHAHA

I'm just curious as to how much her face has changed.  She doesn't look overweight in that video, but the few pictures I've seen of her back then make her face look much more round than oval.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:41:13 PM »

She was a looker...still is.

I love the 80s...they were such civil times compared to the 60s, 70s and today. It was like a redux of the 50s without being too "Leave it to Beaver" for those who were modern.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »

Taken from the same event, here's Sarah giving possibly the best blow job of her life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0OZ9W2K_z0
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:14 PM »

Taken from the same event, here's Sarah giving possibly the best blow job of her life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0OZ9W2K_z0

I beg to differ.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »

I love the 80s...they were such civil times compared to the 60s, 70s and today. It was like a redux of the 50s without being too "Leave it to Beaver" for those who were modern.

That's an interesting perspective.

I wouldn't say that was the case, speaking as someone whose memory begins with the early '80s... yes, there was a fair bit of money sloshing around. But people were very worried about crime and drugs, and the cities were in terrible shape. DIvorce was becoming more and more prevalent. You had a sense of limits on what could be done in this country and in any given community; Japan was winning, our buildings were crumbling, Lucille Ball played a homeless woman on tv. Most people were doing ok, but your neighbors or people in the next town had bad kids who were ruining it for everyone else.

The late 1990s were the time when everything seemed to be going right for everyone except the political junkies.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »

That's an interesting perspective.

I wouldn't say that was the case, speaking as someone whose memory begins with the early '80s... yes, there was a fair bit of money sloshing around. But people were very worried about crime and drugs, and the cities were in terrible shape. DIvorce was becoming more and more prevalent. You had a sense of limits on what could be done in this country and in any given community; Japan was winning, our buildings were crumbling, Lucille Ball played a homeless woman on tv. Most people were doing ok, but your neighbors or people in the next town had bad kids who were ruining it for everyone else.

The late 1990s were the time when everything seemed to be going right for everyone except the political junkies.

^^^^^^^^^^^
AIDS, crack, worst crime and teenage preganacy ever.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »

AIDS, crack, worst crime and teenage preganacy ever.

Yep. I didn't include AIDS because for many people, it was something bad happening to people they didn't know and didn't care much about, but didn't affect them.

I'm not sure about worst crime; I think the statistics agree with you, and it varies by region, but I got the sense that New York hit bottom in the 1970s and was crawling back up in the 1980s. Perhaps what happened is that the worst-off neighborhoods descended further in the 1980s because of crack and unemployment, but other parts turned the corner and began to gentrify.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »

She was a looker...still is.

Were you even around in the 80's?

I mean sure, the 50's were romanticized to a point that those who actually lived through them wouldn't recognize, but I really don't see that much connection between the 1980's I lived through and the 50's (historical or fictional).  Besides, it was the 70's when the 50's were really 'hot'.  Loosely speaking, there is a cultural tendency to 'look back' fondly at times about 20 years back from whatever the present is.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »

You have to forgive Naso when it comes to the 80s, guys.  Everything he knows about the decade comes from Ronald Reagan speeches and McDonald's commercials.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »

Loosely speaking, there is a cultural tendency to 'look back' fondly at times about 20 years back from whatever the present is.

I went to an '80s party in high school in '93, and by the time I got to college a year later, there was already an accepted tradition of '80s dances. '80s nostalgia has outlasted the actual '80s by at least five years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies