Who won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:03:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who won?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Who won?
McCain

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Who won?  (Read 7425 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »

Dan, I think there is something you are forgetting; unless those people are really well known, it won't make a difference.  Rubin might be, but how closely is he associated with Obama?

There were some general points:

1.  Neither candidate connected with the American people, basically, they didn't speak to me.

2.  While I thought it was impossible, both failed badly on economics.  I actually said, "These guys don't have a clue."

3.  If, using a very low bar, you wanted to see if Obama would be a complete disaster for foreign policy, e.g. he'd confuse Canada with Cuba, he passed.

4.  Body/facial language.  McCain's was choppy, but largely due to his injuries.  Obama's was choppy, and like GHW Bush against Clinton, took a few blows that staggered him; his response was a pained expression and asking the moderator if they could move on.  A draw until you factor in the injuries (many won't).

5.  Subject matter.  McCain, because he could claim greater familiarity with the issue.

The last two are the most important:

6.  Command.  McCain won this one.  He looked like a strong commander.  He dominated the debate, especially with Obama saying "You're right" twelve times.  McCain was leading and Obama was following.  This is a natural advantage because he's actually commanded sailors; it showed.  [There is a downside, he could look mean.  Obama could develop a "touchy feely" Clinton persona, but so far has not.  It isn't mean man/nice man, because Obama hasn't come off as "nice."  He hasn't come off as mean, either.]

7.  Age.  McCain looked to be both in command of the facts and vigorous, if not flat out aggressive.

These last two enter into to polling concerns, both about Command, Obama is too weak in foreign affairs, McCain is too old.  Both were about 15%.

I have not heard one "McCain's too old" comment.  I have not heard one "Obama will be strong leader" comment.  Neither connected well.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »

Well, they both passed the first rule of debate, do no harm. I don't see either McCain or Obama supporters being too miffed with their guy's performance last night

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, so I vote Obama. I had worried that he'd perform dreadfully, with a barrage of "uhs" and "ums"

McCain didn't look old and tired, nor did he make Obama look like a kid. Score draw

Dave
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »

Draw.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »

Well, they both passed the first rule of debate, do no harm. I don't see either McCain or Obama supporters being too miffed with their guy's performance last night

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, so I vote Obama. I had worried that he'd perform dreadfully, with a barrage of "uhs" and "ums"

McCain didn't look old and tired, nor did he make Obama look like a kid. Score draw

Dave

I'm kind of with you on that. I was concerned that Obama would be fantastic and McCain would look old and tired. That didn't happen, and McCain seemed to be more engaging when speaking. All politics aside...when McCain was speaking you almost seemed eager to hear him...when Obama was speaking it was all over the average voters head, because liberals tend to get too intellectual with the audience.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2008, 01:27:53 PM »

When looking at the debate in a vacuum, I think McCain won it, if only because he did slightly better at the end.

However, in the greater context of the election, Obama wins, so he just needed to keep the race where it is.

Personally, neither did great in my opinion.  When McCain got feisty it did start to remind me of the old McCain.  But he still hasn't won my vote back, though the debate softened me on Obama a bit.

With that in mind, I voted McCain in the poll.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2008, 01:29:18 PM »

When looking at the debate in a vacuum, I think McCain won it, if only because he did slightly better at the end.

However, in the greater context of the election, Obama wins, so he just needed to keep the race where it is.

Personally, neither did great in my opinion.  When McCain got feisty it did start to remind me of the old McCain.  But he still hasn't won my vote back, though the debate softened me on Obama a bit.

True Dem...you are no longer a "McCain Democrat"?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2008, 01:37:45 PM »

True Dem...you are no longer a "McCain Democrat"?

I am undecided now.  McCain (and especially Palin) have been pissing me off a late.

And it's looking increasingly like my vote is Obama's to lose.

That being said, I want to vote for McCain.  I really do want to; I just don't know if I can, with the way he has been acting.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »

Another problem Obama has is coming off too "elitst" and "photogenic". The random one second toothy grins and the hand shows come across snobish.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »

Another problem Obama has is coming off too "elitst" and "photogenic". The random one second toothy grins and the hand shows come across snobish.
If you didn't pick up on McCain's very obvious condescension last night I don't know what to tell you.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »

If you didn't pick up on McCain's very obvious condescension last night I don't know what to tell you.

Exactly.  McCain didn't come off as elitist, but he was very condescending and smug... and frankly, I thought he was quite rude.  Maybe some people see that as a plus... that McCain is a fighter or something.. but I think he just has a hot temper.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies