Who won? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:30:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who won? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who won?
McCain

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Who won?  (Read 7504 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 26, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »

McCain acted bitter and tired and almost seemed like he didnt want to be there. He didnt even look at Obama the entire debate, and his body language was going against him.

Obama looked Presidential. He was calm and stuck to the issues and even agreed some of the time with McCain and such.

Overall though....it was a tie.

Obama was not calm, looked angry, and stumbled a bit with "um, ah."  He also has to learn to to talk in soundbites.  McCain won, barely, but not a big victory; he actually looked more vigorous than Obama!

"John's right," occurred too many times.  If "John's right's," we ought to vote for him.

McCain's bad points were, he was a bit patronizing at times and he needed to be a bit more future oriented.  Obama failed at that as well.

Both candidates don't have a clue on the economy.  
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »

McCain acted bitter and tired and almost seemed like he didnt want to be there. He didnt even look at Obama the entire debate, and his body language was going against him.

Obama looked Presidential. He was calm and stuck to the issues and even agreed some of the time with McCain and such.

Overall though....it was a tie.

Obama was not calm, looked angry, and stumbled a bit with "um, ah."  He also has to learn to to talk in soundbites.  McCain won, barely, but not a big victory; he actually looked more vigorous than Obama!

"John's right," occurred too many times.  If "John's right's," we ought to vote for him.

McCain's bad points were, he was a bit patronizing at times and he needed to be a bit more future oriented.  Obama failed at that as well.

Both candidates don't have a clue on the economy.  

Sorry...im really going to have to disagree with you. Obama wasn't the one trying to fling punches out left and right and hoping one would magiclly stick. McCain just didn't seem like he wanted to be there. Obama seemed more Presidential while McCain looked bitter and angry and just wanting all of this to end quickly so he could go and "save Washington."

I even heard commentators  (on CNN) saying how much McCain got under Obama's skin.  

McCain did throw some punches, not doubt about that.

It was a McCain win, but not a stunning victory.  What surprised me how vigorous McCain looked.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:48:52 PM »

J.J.:

If we are to assume that what CNN says is always right, then I'm afraid your contention that McCain won is quite wrong. The analysis across the board is that this was a tie, or by default, an Obama victory because he wasn't clobbered on the foreign policy issue.

I give it a minor victory, but McCain did the one thing he had to do, which was not look old.  I actually had to ask myself which candidate was older, because McCain looked vigorous.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obama's interruptions, his facial expressions.  It was noticeable, if not longstanding.

Neither candidate actually connected and BOTH failed on the economy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »

Dan, I think there is something you are forgetting; unless those people are really well known, it won't make a difference.  Rubin might be, but how closely is he associated with Obama?

There were some general points:

1.  Neither candidate connected with the American people, basically, they didn't speak to me.

2.  While I thought it was impossible, both failed badly on economics.  I actually said, "These guys don't have a clue."

3.  If, using a very low bar, you wanted to see if Obama would be a complete disaster for foreign policy, e.g. he'd confuse Canada with Cuba, he passed.

4.  Body/facial language.  McCain's was choppy, but largely due to his injuries.  Obama's was choppy, and like GHW Bush against Clinton, took a few blows that staggered him; his response was a pained expression and asking the moderator if they could move on.  A draw until you factor in the injuries (many won't).

5.  Subject matter.  McCain, because he could claim greater familiarity with the issue.

The last two are the most important:

6.  Command.  McCain won this one.  He looked like a strong commander.  He dominated the debate, especially with Obama saying "You're right" twelve times.  McCain was leading and Obama was following.  This is a natural advantage because he's actually commanded sailors; it showed.  [There is a downside, he could look mean.  Obama could develop a "touchy feely" Clinton persona, but so far has not.  It isn't mean man/nice man, because Obama hasn't come off as "nice."  He hasn't come off as mean, either.]

7.  Age.  McCain looked to be both in command of the facts and vigorous, if not flat out aggressive.

These last two enter into to polling concerns, both about Command, Obama is too weak in foreign affairs, McCain is too old.  Both were about 15%.

I have not heard one "McCain's too old" comment.  I have not heard one "Obama will be strong leader" comment.  Neither connected well.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies