Yet another question about Hillary Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:18:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Yet another question about Hillary Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yet another question about Hillary Clinton  (Read 1963 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »

Yet another question, again, about the future of Hillary Clinton

If Barack Obama wins the Presidency in 2008, and we will assume he runs again in 2012, unopposed for the nomination, does this end any chance that Hillary Clinton will ever have at becoming President?

In 2016, Hillary Clinton will be 69 years old.

Please discuss.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »

Probably. This was her one shot, she expected to win handily, and I don't see her going through the grueling rigor of another presidential campaign.

And 8 years from now there will be new faces in the Democratic party ready to become the new darlings/stars/Obamas/etc. She's probably going the way of Ted Kennedy at this point.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »

There's just no way that she'd run again if Obama has two fairly successful terms as president. She'd be too old and she would be yesterday's news. The newer generation would take over like xfactor said.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »

i dont think she will ever run for president again, even if obama loses.

id like to see her run for governor of ny.  unfortunately, the handwringers would never allow her to run against another black man. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »

id like to see her run for governor of ny.  unfortunately, the handwringers would never allow her to run against another black man. 

But Walter, do you not think that Paterson is more of a caretaker Governor until the next gubernatorial election?

Even if he does want to run, I believe others will challenge him for the nomination.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »

I doubt it. Hillary could try and take over the mantle of Kennedy and become the 'lioness' of the Senate. Or she could go for Reid's job as Majority Leader.

Three other places she may go...Governor of New York, or Supreme Court, or Attorney General
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 01:37:43 PM »

I'm not convinced that she wants to be a Senator if she has no realistic chance of becoming president.  if Obama wins I can't say for certainty that she runs for political office ever again.  I don't know that being a Senator until age 85 is something that interests her.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to primary President Obama in 2012, especially if his presidency is unsuccessful.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »

People said the same things about McCain...
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »

People said the same things about McCain...

Regardless, it seems like we have this lady who's been around for god only knows how long who's acquired a reputation as a polarizing figure, who ran a presidential campaign perceived as nasty by many....dunno, she could always make a shot, but it seems as though the same tired old faces would have less success running in the Democrat party than the Republican party, whose core ideology hasn't really changed all that much since the 1980s, other than to give rise to more irresponsible spending.

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 04:28:01 PM »

We've had at least three nominees over 69. Why could she not be a nominee at 69? If Obama wins and is the nominee in 2012 (reagrdless of whether he wins then), Biden will be 73; Clinton will certainly be younger than that. Also, as boomers age, I expect 69 to not seem as old as it does today.

She could certainly run again. Will she? I don't know. I'd rather see her run for Gov of NY.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »

But Walter, do you not think that Paterson is more of a caretaker Governor until the next gubernatorial election?

Even if he does want to run, I believe others will challenge him for the nomination.

unless he gets indicted, im sure patterson will run for a term of his own.

and no, brtd, im not predicting a patterson indictment. 
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »

I really hope she has a good future.  I was a big Obama supporter, but she really earned my respect. 
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 03:40:19 AM »

8 more years is a long time.  I would say there is about a 60% chance this was her first and only Presidential bid.  However, there is a fairly decent chance she might run again.  Gov. Rendell has said that she might.  After garnering 18 million votes and winning 20 states, she knows that she has a political base out there.  If she is still interested in the Presidency she will carefully tend to that garden over the next 8 years.

From an identity politics standpoint, Hillary could have an opening.  Assuming an Obama victory, that will mean both Clinton and Palin were denied a chance to make history.  The result could be a very strong push for a female nominee in 2016.  Of course, it is entirely possible that some other choice besides Hillary could emerge.

It is equally plausible she may take the Ted Kennedy route, especially now that Kennedy himself is in his twilight years.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »

All signs from the Clinton Camp point to Hillary 2012 if Obama loses and don't believe she'll run again if she wins.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »

On the one hand, women live longer than men.

On the other hand, this country has only recently begun viewing woman politicians as something other than exceptional, and we aren't completely there yet... and there are few role models for older woman politicians. Liddy Dole is one, and she's resorted to excessive plastic surgery and is probably on her way out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies