Dying in Vain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:31:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dying in Vain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dying in Vain  (Read 705 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »

Obama had a wonderful response to Senator McCain's bracelet story.  And no, it wasn't, "Well, I have a bracelet too, Senator."

Obama said no one who puts on the uniform of this country dies in vain.  I thought that was a particularly smart and patriotic response.  And I am hoping Obama and Biden both use it again.  If they can tie it to some praise of McCain's heroic service, then even better.

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:05:55 PM »

Eh.  I cringed during the whole bracelet argument.

McCain needs some new anecdotes.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »

"Well, I have a bracelet too, Senator."

When I heard this during the debate, I had the weird thought of Obama pointing to a golden bracelet on his arm and start rapping: "Yo, look, Johnny, I´m a f****n pimp, yo - look at my golden bracelet yo ..."

Anyone else with the same thought ?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »

Obama had a wonderful response to Senator McCain's bracelet story.  And no, it wasn't, "Well, I have a bracelet too, Senator."

Obama said no one who puts on the uniform of this country dies in vain.  I thought that was a particularly smart and patriotic response.  And I am hoping Obama and Biden both use it again.  If they can tie it to some praise of McCain's heroic service, then even better.

I agree, it was exceptionally poor argument.

The one that he made, let us win so our children won't have to fight was better.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »

Huh?

I said it was a great response.  No one who wears the uniform of their country and dies in service to that country dies in vain.  That was a strong argument and much stronger than McCain's tired old bracelet story.

What I said wasn't so great was Obama's "I have a bracelet too" comeback.  But the later remark was pure gold.

I agree, it was exceptionally poor argument.

The one that he made, let us win so our children won't have to fight was better.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:11 PM »

I think it was a great response, and quite patriotic....but I don't think it's true.

Soldiers have died in vain.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2008, 12:21:56 PM by cp »

That's not entirely true.

Though there were families in that village that put up soldiers, there were no recorded deaths of American servicemen in Vain (or Vain Cottage), in East Sussex, England during the American occupation of Britain during WWII. The military base at Eastbourne, 20 minutes to the south, did record several fatalities, especially in May, 1944 as soldiers gathered there in preparation for the Normandy invasion.

That said, assuming we're only talking about American soldiers, no soldier has died in Vain.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »

All this bracelet thing is show. Anyone should realize that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies