Will anyone respond to the economic crisis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:59:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Will anyone respond to the economic crisis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will anyone respond to the economic crisis?  (Read 1989 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »

A message from the pokey room in the Afleitch Presidential Library

I am interrupting my month long holiday to ask of the Senate and all our respresentatives; is there a substantial plan to deal with the unfolding financial crisis? Electoral reform (again) and mass transit are not the most pressing concerns facing the nation and I understand the reluctance of past Senates to deal with the budget.

While I am pleased to have left the Senate bubble behind, I am quite alarmed at the lack of movement regarding this. If I have missed anything, I apologise.

Knock some heads together folks. If you won't, I will.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »

There's some open-ended legislation in the Senate backlog.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 02:25:31 PM »

No.2 in the cue right now. Should be up pretty soon.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »

I did notice your Bill. It would be helpful to press to push it forward, vacant slot or no vacant slot. We also need action from the President and some input from the Governors. The President has the authority to make decisive decisions (which is pretty self evident), even if the Senate is disinterested.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »

And with the greatest of respect, I don't believe repealing the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act alone is sufficient redress.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:29:26 PM »

I did notice your Bill. It would be helpful to press to push it forward, vacant slot or no vacant slot. We also need action from the President and some input from the Governors. The President has the authority to make decisive decisions (which is pretty self evident), even if the Senate is disinterested.
It would in principle be possible to put it into that extra PPTs discretion spot. I've not been using it mostly since my Senators seemed to have a hard time keeping up with voting on six bills, let alone seven. Tongue As I said, it's in second position of the cue, one bill's closing tomorrow, another final vote should open soon. I don't think pushing it further ahead is really needed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »

And with the greatest of respect, I don't believe repealing the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act alone is sufficient redress.

It's really just a starting point; the idea is for people to suggest things and for something to grow around that. Or something.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:34:32 PM »

It's really just a starting point; the idea is for people to suggest things and for something to grow around that. Or something.

That will probably be difficult. The Senate has a long standing aversion to math Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »

Any thoughts on 'reconstituting' the Glass-Steagall Act?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »

I am interrupting my month long holiday to ask of the Senate and all our respresentatives; is there a substantial plan to deal with the unfolding financial crisis? Electoral reform (again) and mass transit are not the most pressing concerns facing the nation and I understand the reluctance of past Senates to deal with the budget.

Well, here's the thing: A large number of people working together in Washington D.C. with economic backgrounds are having a difficult time putting together a workable rescue.  So, too, is this administration, which is admittedly far less expert on the topic.

My initial instinct is to back up and superpower the FDIC, while placing aside monies (far less than $700B) on reserve for emergency capitalizations where necessary, as I'm sure the standard Washington bailout that went down to failure today would similarly fail to pass the Senate.

(And while yes, mass transit is not the most pressing issue before the nation, this bill was essentially introduced three months ago.)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »

Thank you Mr President.

I am in the process of drafting a Bank Conservation Act that will allow for controlled intervention to allow for the management of depository institutions. It's a very simple re-hash of the Glass-Steagal Act (simply because we don't need the detail in Atlasia) It's also designed to be a little divisive.

Hopefully someone will propose it Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 03:26:51 PM »

Thank you Mr President.

I am in the process of drafting a Bank Conservation Act that will allow for controlled intervention to allow for the management of depository institutions. It's a very simple re-hash of the Glass-Steagal Act (simply because we don't need the detail in Atlasia) It's also designed to be a little divisive.

Hopefully someone will propose it Smiley

If thou likes, I can just change the bill about to come up on the floor to that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:07 PM »

Nah, let's introduce it as an amendment to your bill. Cheesy I'd be very ready to.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »

Its actually bloody difficult to simplify the bill. Sad

It might be better to re-introduce it but make amendments - Comptroller of Currency to Attorney General etc and introduce Senate control over the confirmation of the nominated conservator. And other such things to make it fit with our system.

This was the first draft.

Bank Conservation Act 2008

Section 1

Section 1a. The Senate recognises than depository institutions possess considerably financial power by virtue of their control of the money of others. Its extent must be limited to ensure soundness and competition in the market for funds, loans and investments.

Section 1b. The Senate further recognises that securities activities involve risk that if miscalculated can lead to enormous losses. Any such losses can, in return threaten the integrity of deposits. In turn, the Federal Government insures deposits and could be required, in times of prolonged loss, to pay large sums if depository institutions were to collapse as the result of securities losses.

Section 1c. Therefore, it is understood that it is the national interest for depository institutions be managed to limit risk.

Section 2. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is hereby repealed.

Section 3.

Section 3a. This title may be cited as the ''Bank Conservation Act.''

Section 3b.   As used in this title, the term ''bank'' means (1) any national banking association, and (2) any bank or trust company located in the District of Columbia and operating under the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency; and the term ''State'' means any State, Territory, or possession of Atlasia.

Section 3c. Whenever he shall deem it necessary in order to conserve the assets of any bank for the benefit of the depositors and other creditors thereof, the Attorney General may nominate, a conservator for such bank and require of him such bond and security as the Attorney General deems proper.

Section 3d. The approval of the nominated conservator will be at the discretion of the Senate.

Section 3e. The conservator, under the direction of the Attorney General, shall take possession of the books, records, and assets of every description of such bank, and take such action as may be necessary to conserve the assets of such bank pending further disposition of its business as provided by law. Such conservator shall have all the rights, powers, and privileges now possessed by or hereafter given receivers of insolvent national banks and shall be subject to the obligations and penalties, not inconsistent with the provisions of this title, to which receivers are now or may hereafter become subject.

Section 3f. The conservator shall receive as salary an amount no greater than that paid to employees of the Federal Government for similar services.

Section 4.

Section 4a. The Attorney General shall cause to be made such examinations of the affairs of such bank as shall be necessary to inform him as to the financial condition of such bank, and the examiner shall make a report thereon to the Attorney General at the earliest practicable date.

Section 4b. If the Attorney General becomes satisfied that it may safely be done and that it would be in the public interest, he may, in his discretion, terminate the conservatorship and permit such bank to resume the transaction of its business subject to such terms, conditions, restrictions and limitations as he may prescribe.

Section 4c. In any reorganization of any national banking association under a plan of a kind which, under existing law, requires the consent, as the case may be, (a) of depositors and other creditors or (b) of stockholders or (c) of both depositors and other creditors and stockholders, such reorganization shall become effective only (1) when the Attorney General shall be satisfied that the plan of reorganization is fair and equitable as to all depositors, other creditors and stockholders and is in the public interest and shall have approved the plan subject to such conditions, restrictions and limitations as he may prescribe.

Section 4d. The Attorney General is hereby authorized and empowered, with the approval of the Senate, to prescribe such rules and regulations as he may deem necessary in order to carry out the provisions of this title. Whoever violates any rule or regulation made pursuant to this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $50,000, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »

It would help if we had a GM. Perhaps we should also consider bringing back the Secretary of the Treasury.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »

It would help if we had a GM. Perhaps we should also consider bringing back the Secretary of the Treasury.
Exactly my thinking, otherwise responding to the economic crisis is pointless as one does not exist in Atlasia
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 02:34:52 AM »

Exactly my thinking, otherwise responding to the economic crisis is pointless as one does not exist in Atlasia

Same here, more or less. We ought have some incentive to actually do something about this, rather than focus on strictly fantasy-related affairs.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »

I am perplexed as to why we should pretend there is no global financial crisis when there clearly is one.  Atlasia has a long history of reacting to current events in the past.

I understand the point behind a GM, but that point to me does not seem to be to validate every little sneeze that occurs in the world.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 03:20:49 AM »

"All duties and powers ascribed in law to the 'Secretary of the Treasury' shall hereinafter be vested in the President."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »

I am perplexed as to why we should pretend there is no global financial crisis when there clearly is one.  Atlasia has a long history of reacting to current events in the past.

I understand the point behind a GM, but that point to me does not seem to be to validate every little sneeze that occurs in the world.

^^^^

We don't need a GM to expicitely state something for it to be true.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »

And she's on the floor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies