Fox/Opinion Dynamics indicate Kerry in much better shape than first thought... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:32:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  Fox/Opinion Dynamics indicate Kerry in much better shape than first thought... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fox/Opinion Dynamics indicate Kerry in much better shape than first thought...  (Read 6795 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« on: September 13, 2004, 04:51:00 PM »
« edited: September 13, 2004, 04:54:14 PM by The Vorlon »

Few quick points;

The poll had Kerry +5 if I recall among Registered voters, which relative to the others is a bit of an outier.  Opinion Dynamics is a very "purest" poll and employs very few weights and corrections.  The price they pay for this is a bit more pure random error.

Next

Gallup and most others, pushes the leaners, Opinion Dynamics does not.

Look at it this way:

Fox

Bush 47
Kerry 43
Nader  3
Undecided 7

Of those expressing a preference:

Bush 47/93 => 50.53%
Kerry 43/93 => 46.26%

I suspect in the aftermath of the Republican Convention, if you hammered the leaners Bush would have got his share

Gallup says 52/45 after pushing the leaners.
Fox says 51/46 among those expressing a preference.

Pretty darn close actually.

Pushing or not pushing the leaners is a philosophical qustion, there is no right or wrong when you are 2 months out.

Fox uses a much looser voter screen than many which is also a tad Dem friendly (as I posted before - you guys all laughed at me when I said Fox was a bit Kerry friendly methodologically Wink ) so, on balance,  I think NOT pushing the leaners is the  better choice in this case.

The "Battleground" number means nothing, the sample size (+/- 320 or so) is just too small.  I recall a previous Fox poll where Bush was up I think 2 but had a 9 point lead in the battlegrounds.

A national survey is designed to be "balance" in its sample Nationally, but not nessasarily within the regions.

Take national breakouts with a grain of salt, always..

All of the above being said, however,...

I really do think the GOPers ARE getting ahead of them selves.

Bush is up IMHO a fairly solid 4% or so.  His base is amazinging solid (He get's REagan like numbers among the GOP) and (Fox excluded) has a modest lead among Indys right now.

I'd rather be Bush the Kerry at this point, but there is, on the GOP side, a lot of "irrational exuberance" to borrow a phrase.

Football Analogy

It's the middle of the 3rd quarter, Bush is up 14-10

Team Kerry just punted the ball after a "3 and out" and Team Bush has the ball at midfield.

I'd rather be Bush, but there is a lot of Football left to play...
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 04:57:29 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 04:59:12 PM by The Vorlon »

If I wasn't colorblind I am sure that graph would be usefull. Smiley

This is a graph of all the polls (good, bad, confused, whatever)

It is a simple "cut and paste" of all the polls from RealClearPolitics from about 2 days ago into excel, and then I put both Bush and Kerry onto a simple 10 poll rolling average to iron out the kinks:

I am fairly sure Bush had a good 6 weeks.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies