The Federal Activity Bill [PASSED + SIGNED]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:15:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Federal Activity Bill [PASSED + SIGNED]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Federal Activity Bill [PASSED + SIGNED]  (Read 4739 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:26:15 PM »
« edited: September 22, 2004, 05:41:12 PM by Sen. King »

Introduced by Senator King, partial credit to Game Moderator Niles Caulder and Cheif Justice KEmperor:

The Federal Activity Bill

Part I - Executive Branch

1. To fulfill their duties as elected officials of the fantasy board, the President and Vice President must visit and post on the fantasy board at least once a week, unless his/her absence is reported in advance. Acting Presidents and Vice Presidents will be appointed using the line of succession in our Constitution.

2. If the President fails to meet the minimun fantasy activity, the Vice President shall be become President for the remainder of the term, even if the President returns. If the Vice President is also declared inactive with the President, both will be removed from office.

3. If the Vice President fails to meet the minimun fantasy activity, the President will appoint a new Vice President.

4. The Secretary of Forum Affairs must administer every federal election, unless they provide awareness of their absence ahead of time.

Part II - Legislative Branch

1. If a Senator misses three senate votes and/or debates on bills consecutivly without notice, the Senator will be declared INACTIVE.

2. If a Senator is declared inactive, the Secretary of Forum Affairs will administer a recall election the weekend after the inactivity declaration.

Part III - Judical Branch

Each member of the Supreme Court or anyother court established in the future must post a minimun once per week to retain their status unless they give a notice of absence in advance.

Part IV - The Cabinet

1. Cabinet officers serve at the pleasure of the President, who may release them from service at whim.

2. Failure of a Cabinet Officer to represent the Department publically, report Departmental business to the President or Senate, or administer relevent Department obligations (as determined by the GM) on
at least a weekly basis is Official Negligence, and grounds for automatic removal from office.  

3. A majority vote of the Senate or citation by either the GM or Secretary of Forum Affairs is sufficient to invoke this automatic suspension, unless the citation is nullified by the discovery and posting of evidence of adequate Departmental business having been conducted within the appropriate time frame of alleged negligence.

4. An ejected office holder may only resume his/her post if renominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

5. Preplanned absences of office holders may be accomodated at the government's discression.

Part V - The GM

1.  Failure on the part of the GM to either report to or correspond with either the President, his/her cabinet, the Senate Floor, or in the public forum venue with no less frequency than a weekly basis is Forum Negligence, and is sufficient grounds for automatic removal from the post.

2.  A majority vote in the Senate or a citation by the President is sufficient to invoke this automatic removal, unless prior to the appointment of a new GM evidence is discovered and posted of sufficient activity within the time frame of alleged negligence.

3.  For negligence or any other failure of necessary and adequate job performance and decorum, upon citation of such by the President to the Forum Moderator, the Forum Moderator may convene a private meeting including any and only those s/he sees fit for the purpose of determining the necessity of removing the GM from his/her post.  The Forum Moderator may then soley elect to so remove the GM.

4.  A bill passed by 2/3 margin of the Senate and signed by the President is sufficient to remove the GM from his/her post for any reason.

Part VI - Government Expansion

If a new branch of fantasy government is formed, the Senate or any federal legislative power at the time of its formation is required to amend this document to be in coordinance with the new branch.
[/i]
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 05:26:27 PM »

I like it
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 05:31:47 PM »

except for letting the judges off the hook i like it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 05:36:23 PM »

I couldn't think of anything for them or the Justice Department. Suggestions?
Niles Caulder

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 05:39:44 PM »

I believe provisions 1-3 dealing with the Vice President and President would require a constitutional ammendment to enact.  I think perhaps there's no need to do so, when all of this business can be handled by the process of impeachment that's already legal.

I think Senator King's criteria for legislature activity are fine.

I'm unsure what "pieces of work" would eventually mean in a technical sense...but really anything less than twice a week is a hindrance to the team.  Could I suggest the following:

First and foremost, Cabinet officers serve at the pleasure of the President, who may release them from service at whim.

Failure of a Cabinet Officer to represent the Department publically, report Departmental business to the President or Senate, or administer relevent Department obligations (as determined by the GM) on
at least a weekly basis is Official Negligence, and grounds for automatic removal from office.  

A majority vote of the Senate or citation by the GM or Secretary of Forum Affairs is sufficient to invoke this automatic suspension, unless the citation is nullified by the discovery and posting of adequate Departmental business having been conducted within the appropriate time frame of alleged negligence.

An ejected office holder may only resume his/her post if renominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

Preplanned absences of office holders may be accomodated at the government's discression.[/i]
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 05:46:49 PM »

I believe provisions 1-3 dealing with the Vice President and President would require a constitutional ammendment to enact.  I think perhaps there's no need to do so, when all of this business can be handled by the process of impeachment that's already legal.

I think Senator King's criteria for legislature activity are fine.

I'm unsure what "pieces of work" would eventually mean in a technical sense...but really anything less than twice a week is a hindrance to the team.  Could I suggest the following:

First and foremost, Cabinet officers serve at the pleasure of the President, who may release them from service at whim.

Failure of a Cabinet Officer to represent the Department publically, report Departmental business to the President or Senate, or administer relevent Department obligations (as determined by the GM) on

A majority vote of the Senate or citation by the GM or Secretary of Forum Affairs is sufficient to invoke this automatic suspension, unless the citation is nullified by the discovery and posting of adequate Departmental business having been conducted within the appropriate time frame of alleged negligence.

An ejected office holder may only resume his/her post if renominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

Preplanned absences of office holders may be accomodated at the government's discression.[/i]

That could work for the Cabinet only, but not for other branches. Still a good idea, mind if I add it to my bill?
Niles Caulder

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 05:57:32 PM »

Yeah, sorry--I forgot to specify this was regarding Cabinet officers.  Have at it, but I'm just as receptive to constructive criticism.

I said automatic "suspension" when "removal" was the correct word choice.  Be sure to switch that in the final version or some scurvy lawyer will try to argue the bill implies an appeal process.  (I think an appeal process is unnessesary:  If a cabinet officer has enough clout to get ushered right back into office with 2 branches of govt. behind him, that's appeal enough...and in that case it was the GM who completely fouled up and needs to be ushered out himself.)
Niles Caulder

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 06:00:20 PM »

Doesn't the Senate already have the authority to remove Justices as well, now that I think about it?
Niles Caulder

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 06:07:51 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 06:14:43 PM by Niles Caulder [GM] »

Shoot, I'll just reword it...needs it:

A majority vote of the Senate or citation by either the GM or Secretary of Forum Affairs is sufficient to invoke this automatic removal, unless prior to the confirmation of a new officer the citation is nullified by the discovery and posting of evidence of adequate Departmental business having been conducted within the appropriate time frame of alleged negligence.

I felt like requiring the President to refill the post may not be good law.  Suppose Labor got staffed but abandoned, the President can just leave it unmanned as it is now.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 06:38:04 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 06:52:30 PM by Niles Caulder [GM] »

Part V  The GM

1.  Failure on the part of the GM to either report to or correspond with either the President, his/her cabinet, the Senate Floor, or in the public forum venue with no less frequency than a weekly basis is Forum Negligence, and is sufficient grounds for automatic removal from the post.

2.  A majority vote in the Senate or a citation by the President is sufficient to invoke this automatic removal, unless prior to the appointment of a new GM evidence is discovered and posted of sufficient activity within the time frame of alleged negligence.

3.  For negligence or any other failure of necessary and adequate job performance and decorum, upon citation of such by the President to the Forum Moderator, the Forum Moderator may convene a private meeting including any and only those s/he sees fit for the purpose of determining the necessity of removing the GM from his/her post.  The Forum Moderator may then soley elect to so remove the GM.

4.  A bill passed by 2/3 margin of the Senate and signed by the President is sufficient to remove the GM from his/her post for any reason.

Global Goose and Gander Goodness.

Plus I'm not entirely sure how I even got this job.  I'd like an idea of how I can lose it.  Perhaps this legislation is becoming "The Forum and Federal Negligence Code" ?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 07:22:30 PM »

This is a very good bill.  I plan to vote in favor of passage.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 07:22:39 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 07:23:02 PM by Sen. Nation »

I think this a proper solution to a problem that even I sometimes are a part of. Unfortunatley, I can see recall elections happening VERY often if this bill passes. I would like to hear from Senator Hughento and Senator StatesRights on the matter.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 07:26:29 PM »

I think this a proper solution to a problem that even I sometimes are a part of. Unfortunatley, I can see recall elections happening VERY often if this bill passes. I would like to hear from Senator Hughento and Senator StatesRights on the matter.

Recalling senators because they fail to adequtely perform their duties is wrong?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 07:28:34 PM »

Recalling senators because they fail to adequtely perform their duties is wrong?

I am simply saying, Mr. King, that it may become repetitive if a senator is elected, and say, two weeks later, becomes inactive, and a recall election. Then bam, three weeks after that, said senator becomes lazy again. Another recall election? We'd have a problem.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 07:35:18 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 07:36:07 PM by Senator King »

I am simply saying, Mr. King, that it may become repetitive if a senator is elected, and say, two weeks later, becomes inactive, and a recall election. Then bam, three weeks after that, said senator becomes lazy again. Another recall election? We'd have a problem.

Inactivity is determined if they missed consecutive Senate votes. Since it takes 2 weeks for something to get done on the floor (debate + vote), he/she can be gone for 4-6 weeks and still be in the minimun activity.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 10:37:18 PM »

Interesting question:  I'd think on one hand if the Senate set the standard (and more importantly...enforced it), the guy who got ejected would have a smudge on his record in trying to run again.  Even a novice opponant would be looking attractive to the average voter who could say "well at least I won't get kicked out office for truancy!"

But on the other hand, if an entire District electorate got its kicks by re-electing a guy who does nothing but announce he's running for re-election in endless special elections...I guess that's their prerogative.  Needless to say, that hypothetical District is sacrificing its political voice in the Senate to do so.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 10:51:25 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2004, 10:51:59 PM by Sen. King »

Again recalls shouldn't happen unless the person has been gone for 4-6 weeks (the earliest 3 bills can be voted on based on the Senatorial Procedure Act). They could be missing for 1/4 of their term and still be ok.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 01:28:19 AM »

Yea.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 01:31:08 AM »

I would like to add an Amendment:

1.  A Forum member who is planning on a 2 day or more abscence shall post in this thread stating the length of the abscence.  The abscence shall not be more than 2 weeks,
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 05:47:13 PM »

I would like to add an Amendment:

1.  A Forum member who is planning on a 2 day or more abscence shall post in this thread stating the length of the abscence.  The abscence shall not be more than 2 weeks,

Well, 2-6 days is legal on this bill. 7+ days will require a notice stating the stating the absence in advance (likely a thread)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 07:07:53 PM »

I request a motion to open the voting on this bill.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2004, 01:38:29 AM »

Yea
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 02:23:33 PM »

I very much support this bill.

*Ahem* I think I should deserve some credit...I've been talking about this since my first Senate run...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 07:28:19 PM »

I just don't know about it. As I usually do, i've been sitting back and letting the arguments come forward, and i'm leaning towards supporting the bill. It's a good concept, but I just don't know about the content. I'll let you know when we vote.

Oh, and I second the motion for the vote to be opened.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 08:02:41 PM »

3-0 infavor of opening voting early. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies