Electoral College Reform Idea (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:10:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral College Reform Idea (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral College Reform Idea  (Read 6335 times)
rockhound
Rookie

« on: September 16, 2004, 04:12:53 PM »

It tended to screw the Republican party when Democrats were still the majority. It cuts both ways.

I'll have to find the source for this, but I recall reading that before the Republicans won control of the House of Representatives in 1992, that'd they'd actually had more total votes in the house races for something like the last 10-12 years.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 10:16:23 PM »

It tended to screw the Republican party when Democrats were still the majority. It cuts both ways.

I'll have to find the source for this, but I recall reading that before the Republicans won control of the House of Representatives in 1992, that'd they'd actually had more total votes in the house races for something like the last 10-12 years.

I don't know the totals offhand, but I highly doubt that Republicans could have won more votes than Democrats in the 1980s in House races. The Democratic majorities at that time were much larger than the Republican majorities have ever been since. The only way this MIGHT be possible is if votes cast in unopposed races weren't counted (many states do not release vote totals for unopposed races, since they figure there is no point). This fact makes a national comparison of the two parties' vote totals difficult to do accurately.

Kind of like adding DC's or Massachusetts vote totals into the US popular vote total.   They don't really much matter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies