Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012  (Read 21946 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 05:37:10 PM »

I'm going to be different and say Dino Rossi. Well, if he manages to beat Gregoire that is. If not then forget about him.

Is Dino a first tier brain? Does he have the right stuff for the major leagues?  Just asking.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »

Why do people think Jindal is going to run in 2012?  He'll only be 41 years old, and have the one term as governor.  Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for him to wait until 2016 or later?  Yes, yes, I know Obama ran in 2008 with just 4 years worth of experience in the Senate, but that was an unusual case, and Obama didn't have to give up his Senate seat to do it.

In Jindal's case, he'd probably have to give up on reelection if he wants to run for president, since the Louisiana governors' race is in Nov. 2011, while the 2012 presidential primaries will begin in Jan. 2012.  It would seem to be kind of impractical to be campaigning in Louisiana for governor while simultaneously campaigning in Iowa for president.

Ah yes. I didn't take that into account as well. Yeah, forget Jindal 2012.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2008, 05:57:35 PM by Torie »

The truncated Detroit skyline.

It is rather pathetic for a metro area of 4 million people or whatever it is. Detroit never got a white collar economy going thanks to Henry Ford, but that is another story. Time to move on to your 354th screen name BRTD, or whatever the number is. This particular dog of yours won't hunt!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »

I'm going to be different and say Dino Rossi. Well, if he manages to beat Gregoire that is.

I can see that. If only he had won in 2004...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2008, 06:10:19 PM by bgwah »

I'm going to be different and say Dino Rossi. Well, if he manages to beat Gregoire that is. If not then forget about him.

Is Dino a first tier brain? Does he have the right stuff for the major leagues?  Just asking.

I don't know. Gregoire's campaigns have been pretty awful. Still, WA Governor is the only possible major pick-up (Governor and Senator) the Republicans could have this year. If Rossi wins I fail to see how he won't be noticed because of this.

I'll also say he's good at appealing to formerly Republican suburbs that have been trending Democrat recently, while still making far right-wingers happy. The Republicans already don't have a chance in the cities, and if McCain loses a lot of traditionally Republican suburbs to Obama, this will be another factor the GOP will want to consider.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »

I want to hear more from Pence and Ryan, and some really smart guys JS. I am tired of drones! Olympia Snowe is nice, but her problem is that she is even more liberal than I am (aka totally un-nominatable) , and I don't think she is a genius. Lugar is a fossil, and hardly an articulate speaker really, Gregg almost there in the fossil camp  (but I love the man), and the rest of your list are hardly mental giants. Crist is pleasant enough, but I can tell he won't live past about 65.

You're talking about future Presidents and yes, I agree.  Part of the problem with the younger Republicans is that they are so damn socially conservative.  Social conservatism tends to attract religious extremists.  And religious extremism is rarely rooted in academia or intellectualism.  So a lot of the younger ones with the potential for success don't seem particularly bright.  (Though, like The Decider, they may well be very astute in terms of winning elections.)  But have hope, my friend.  I can't imagine a party that produced some real giants in the past won't produce more.

Pence is interesting.  I live, literally, a quarter mile from the part of his district that juts up into Allen County.  He is easily smarter (and nicer) than my Congressman...Mark Souder.  But both are what you would call, "nutters" on the social issues.  The hope is that he can maintain those convictions without going moonbat on us.  We don't know which direction Huckabee would have gone.  But on economic issues, watch Pence.  He might have been the biggest Republican dog in the fight against the bailout.  And he made some really salient points...politely.  I was impressed.

(I still supported the bailout -- kicking and screaming -- for reasons we discussed elsewhere.)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »

I am going to agree with bgwah and say Rossi. He has a good shot of winning and if he does I think he has a good chance at the nomination in 2012.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »

I am going to agree with bgwah and say Rossi. He has a good shot of winning

I just hope that it doesn't look like McCain is getting hammered because many Republican voters may stay home in WA.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »

I just hope that it doesn't look like McCain is getting hammered because many Republican voters may stay home in WA.

Ha! No way. They love Rossi more than McCain. Way more. If anything McCain will get reverse coattails from Rossi.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2008, 06:24:06 PM »

Ha! No way. They love Rossi more than McCain. Way more. If anything McCain will get reverse coattails from Rossi.
Yeah Rossi is the GOP's hero in WA and has a great campaign. His negative attack ads are brilliant honestly and Gregoire's campaign has done little against them. I say that Rossi wins.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2008, 06:26:55 PM »

Eh...I guess that makes sense. I just hope you're right. This guy can be our new star.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2008, 06:35:11 PM by Ronnie »

Rossi rocks.  I doubt he will be a serious contender in 2012, but if he is a successful 2 term governor, he may be able to do a good job in the primary if he runs in '16 or something.

I'm cautiously optimistic about his prospects for governor, but I'm worried Obama will give too many coattails to Chris Gregoire.  That said, it's going to be a nailbiter race, just like it was in '04.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »

The truncated Detroit skyline.

It is rather pathetic for a metro area of 4 million people or whatever it is. Detroit never got a white collar economy going thanks to Henry Ford, but that is another story. Time to move on to your 354th screen name BRTD, or whatever the number is. This particular dog of yours won't hunt!

You are not between the ages of 21 and 33. You won't get it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »

A conservative woman, probably from the south.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

They'd better elect one first.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »

They'd better elect one first.

Haha. Well, lets have a look-see. Two conditions; states are OK, TX, AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, KY and TN; and they must be women in office or portentially in office until November 2010 or later.

Governors:

None.

Senators:

Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)

House (Only those elected prior to 2004):

Ginny Brown-Waite (FL)
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL) (ineligible)
Sue Myrick (NC)
Marsha Blackburn (TN)
Kay Granger (TX)

---------------------
In my opinion, the ones with a chance are Marsha Blackburn if she plays her cards right, and Kay Bailey Hutchison if she remains in the Senate or wins TX Governorship.

---------------------
And extending to women nationwide or southern males, the following names come up:

Governors:

Bobby Jindal (LA)
Haley Barbour (MS)
Rick Perry (TX)
Jodi Rell (CT)
Bob Riley (AL)
Charlie Crist (FL)
Mark Sanford (SC)
Linda Lingle (HI)
Sonny Perdue (GA)
Sarah Palin (AK)

Senators (NOTE: I excluded those who were up for re-election this year):

Richard Shelby (AL)
Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Mel Martinez (FL)
John Isaakson (GA)
Jim Bunning (KY)
David Vitter (LA)
Roger Wicker (MS)
Richard Burr (NC)
Tom Coburn (OK)
Jim DeMint (SC)
Bob Corker (TN)

House:

look it up yourselves Wink
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »

Richard Shelby (AL)
Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Mel Martinez (FL)
John Isaakson (GA)
Jim Bunning (KY)
David Vitter (LA)
Roger Wicker (MS)
Richard Burr (NC)
Tom Coburn (OK)
Jim DeMint (SC)
Bob Corker (TN)

Bunning-Murkowski 2012! It would be like when they brought back the Dukes of Hazzard, only with different actors playing the same roles.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »

Why don't switch your registration, and run Brittain33? The GOP needs some rather bold moves. Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

Haha. Well, lets have a look-see. Two conditions; states are OK, TX, AR, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, KY and TN; and they must be women in office or portentially in office until November 2010 or later.

Governors:

None.

Senators:

Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)

House (Only those elected prior to 2004):

Ginny Brown-Waite (FL)
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL) (ineligible)
Sue Myrick (NC)
Marsha Blackburn (TN)
Kay Granger (TX)

---------------------
In my opinion, the ones with a chance are Marsha Blackburn if she plays her cards right, and Kay Bailey Hutchison if she remains in the Senate or wins TX Governorship.

Hutchison has already said that she won't run for reelection, and it's widely believed that she intends to run for governor.  Why bother running for governor if you're immediately going to turn around and start running for president the second after you're inaugurated?

And isn't Blackburn considered a possibility for TN gov. in 2010 as well?  If so, same issue.  One would presume that she'd wait until she's served at least one term as governor before running for president.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »

Blackburn is a dummie.

Anyways, this thread will be amusing to bump in four years or so.  If Obama is vulnerable in four years, certain names will arise.  If not, certain names will disappear.  If he's a two-termer, then in 2016 I would look to those persons elected in 2010 to unknown statewide positions.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »

I don't think there are any GOP women out there capable of winning the presidency in the short term. Palin maybe but she made her debut too soon and at the wrong time (a sacrificial year for republicans).

I can't see KB Hutchison getting the nomination on the top of the ticket, but I suppose she's a VP possibility. She is retiring from the Senate and setting herself up to challenge the incumbent Republican governor in 2010. That will be interesting. She's not getting any younger though. She'll be 69 in 2012. After that her age becomes a liability.

Marsha Blackburn is a lightweight and talking points banshee.  The only other representative I've heard of on that list is Ileana, and as you said, she's ineligible.

Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins are too moderate for the conservative base.

Lisa Murkowski is just nepotism at its finest, although it worked for Bush.  They won't be looking to Alaska for any rising stars any time soon though.

Linda Lingle isn't electable at the national level, but if she wants a future seat in Congress, it's hers.  It's impressive a Republican, female governor is so well respected in Hawaii of all places.

And I guess that's it.  It's either Palin or bust for Republican women at this point.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

Anyways, this thread will be amusing to bump in four years or so.  If Obama is vulnerable in four years, certain names will arise.  If not, certain names will disappear.

Right, but I'd say more like two and a half years than four years.  Anyone running for president in 2012 will have to decide in early/mid-2011.  Obama's political fortunes could change drastically between then and November 2012.  Remember 1992, and all those top tier Dem. candidates who opted out because Bush looked unbeatable.

Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2008, 10:45:04 PM »

I think Tim Pawlenty could be a possiblity and perhaps Mike Rounds too. Flordia Governor Charlie Crist looks like the strongest candidate the GOP could nominate to me.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »

Crist is good but would he want to have the gay rumors resurface at the national level?
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »

The President of Iran would be a good contender.

Favors:
-Pre Emptive war
-Nationalism
-Torture
-Religious Theocracy

Opposes:
-Abortion
-Gay Rights
-Liberalism
-Secularism

He also wrote to Bush demanding that America abandon its Liberal secular values. He'd be a top contender if they can get the foreign birthplace requirement for president to be stripped from the constitution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies