Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:42:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012  (Read 22011 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
« edited: October 16, 2008, 12:39:58 PM by Supersoulty »

Assuming Santorum doesn't run and a few other things fall into place, I've found my candidate.

And their name is?

I plan on making comments about him or her later. I really don't want to do it so soon considering this race isn't even over yet. It's annoying to get so far ahead of ourselves. That being said, I've mentioned his or her name to a few people and I'm convinced that this person is the future of our party (again, assuming that some things fall into place).

I've dropped a few hints elsewhere on the forum. Do some searching and take a guess.  Wink

You know, Phil, just because the guy is a greasy dago doesn't mean you should feel compelled to vote for him.  The guy's qualifications are limited at best, not to mention that he has to actually win something first.  And even then, voting for a one term governor because he is a young, charismatic Italian makes you no better than people who vote Obama for similar reasons.

Roll Eyes

Right, Super. That's why I'm possibly supporting the person you mentioned. That was totally uncalled for. Totally. Grow up, dude, and lay off the bottle before posting (oh, and that wasn't an ethnic attack either. Just the truth).

By the way, the most offensive part is not how you think Rossi is just some "greasy dago" but that you think I pick my candidates based on ethnicity. That's pretty assinine and goes to show how little you know about me. I assume you have supported McCain and Toomey in the past because of their ethnic background. You know you shouldn't do that, Super! Roll Eyes

Phil...

Why you noa takea nojoke no more?
Sorry, the lettering in the middle was supposed to be white, but that wouldn't show
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »

Assuming Santorum doesn't run and a few other things fall into place, I've found my candidate.

And their name is?

I plan on making comments about him or her later. I really don't want to do it so soon considering this race isn't even over yet. It's annoying to get so far ahead of ourselves. That being said, I've mentioned his or her name to a few people and I'm convinced that this person is the future of our party (again, assuming that some things fall into place).

I've dropped a few hints elsewhere on the forum. Do some searching and take a guess.  Wink

You know, Phil, just because the guy is a greasy dago doesn't mean you should feel compelled to vote for him.  The guy's qualifications are limited at best, not to mention that he has to actually win something first.  And even then, voting for a one term governor because he is a young, charismatic Italian makes you no better than people who vote Obama for similar reasons.

Roll Eyes

Right, Super. That's why I'm possibly supporting the person you mentioned. That was totally uncalled for. Totally. Grow up, dude, and lay off the bottle before posting (oh, and that wasn't an ethnic attack either. Just the truth).

By the way, the most offensive part is not how you think Rossi is just some "greasy dago" but that you think I pick my candidates based on ethnicity. That's pretty assinine and goes to show how little you know about me. I assume you have supported McCain and Toomey in the past because of their ethnic background. You know you shouldn't do that, Super! Roll Eyes

Phil...

Why you noa takea nojoke no more?
Sorry, the lettering in the middle was supposed to be white, but that wouldn't show

Fair enough. I just wasn't sure.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »

Cazzo.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »

Tim Pawlenty would make a good sacrificial lamb.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »

2012 GOP Ticket

Mitt Romney/Lindsey Graham
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »

Epic lose.
Punditty
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »

I agree that Jeb Bush is going to be the most logical choice - with a woman less radical than Palin as his running mate.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »

Probably, or Huckabee and someone else. The GOP normally nominates the runner up in the next go around. If the economy is still in a rut by 2012 (Heaven forbid), people may look to Romney to fix it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2008, 01:42:14 AM »

Could someone please explain to me the excitement over Jindal? I don't think someone that conservative could ever be elected. He makes Bush look downright liberal! The guy couldn't win... I just can't see him carrying states like Minnesota, Colorado or Iowa unless he ran WAY to the left of where he stands now.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »

Lindsey Graham, no way.  The "gay" rumors would crush him.  He speaks somewhat effeminately and has still never been married.  Makes you wonder why Charlie Crist even had to deal with those rumors. 
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »

Does anyone think maybe Tom Ridge would consider a run for the Presidency. or Colin Powell and if so What party would he run in.

Tom Ridge would already have BEEN President if he weren't pro-choice. 
Bob Dole '96
mpirner
Rookie

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2008, 04:53:03 AM »

1. Palin
2. Jindal
3. Romney
4. Sanford
5. Jeb

No one else matters.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »

Crist
Romney
Jindal
Palin
Huckabee
Bush

I actually like the prospect of a weak President Obama vs. Frm. Florida Governor Jeb Bush. Bush is very popular in his state, and that could solidify Florida for the GOP in 2012.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »

I hope someone new and Mod.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »

Crist looks good so far.  But domestically, he is a McCain clone.  If McCain can't beat Obama now, why would Crist be able to do it in 4 years?
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:56 PM »

Could someone please explain to me the excitement over Jindal? I don't think someone that conservative could ever be elected. He makes Bush look downright liberal! The guy couldn't win... I just can't see him carrying states like Minnesota, Colorado or Iowa unless he ran WAY to the left of where he stands now.

people also said REagan was unelectable, and he was very conservative
Bob Dole '96
mpirner
Rookie

« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2008, 12:01:53 AM »

Crist looks good so far.  But domestically, he is a McCain clone.  If McCain can't beat Obama now, why would Crist be able to do it in 4 years?

Crist is a giant dud, and too far to the left.  He represents the mod wing in Florida, while Jeb represents the conservative wing.  No thanks to Crist.

My list:
Palin
big drop
Jindal or Sanford

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »

Crist is a giant dud, and too far to the left.  He represents the mod wing in Florida, while Jeb represents the conservative wing.  No thanks to Crist.

My list:
Palin
big drop
Jindal or Sanford

How can we win the election with Mrs. I don't know what I'm doing, Mr. TOO conservative, and Mr. Boring?  These are horrible choices that will give us, once again, almost no base movement.

I would hope the GOP sees it's time for the social conservatives to take a back seat.  They shouldn't be forgotten, as they're an intergral part to the coalition, but social issues are not going to matter in the coming years. 

I also have to agree with Fezzy re: Sanford.  I think he's great and was my initial VP choice.  But then I heard him do an interview.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2008, 10:08:59 AM »

I love Mark Sanford. I've met him on several occasions, but I highly doubt he has presidential aspirations.

I certainly hope we can do better than Sarah Palin in 2012. If not, we'll have Obama for 2 terms.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »

I love Mark Sanford. I've met him on several occasions, but I highly doubt he has presidential aspirations.

I certainly hope we can do better than Sarah Palin in 2012. If not, we'll have Obama for 2 terms.

What's wrong with Palin? Other then the fact the media hates conservative women.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:23 AM »

What's wrong with Palin? Other then the fact the media hates conservative women.

Foreign policy.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Palin will have less chance than Edwards did this year. Romney will have a tough time remaining relevant for 4 years. Jindal's skin color problem hasn't disappeared, it simply became less than what the Democrats in Louisiana had.

Someone elected in 2004 or 2006 would be perfect for someone fresh enough, but neither Mitch Daniels or Butch Otter ain't a stellar candidate

Jindal's chances hinge on what NO and the rest of LA looks like in 2011.  If there is a thriving renaissance Jindal is an excellent choice.  His skin color can only be a positive, even if it is a cynical move by the GOP to show they are "color blind."

Mitch Daniels is a superb governor and his economic credentials are beyond reproach.  He keeps a balanced budget, lowered property taxes (while raising the sales tax 1%), kept vital social services alive and well, AND provided health coverage for the uninsured!  Deficit-hawk conservatives will rally around him, and he can make a serious outreach to liberals as well.  Read his Wikipedia page for more info.

We'll see how he does against Jill Long Thompson.  If he can mount a substantial win against a very good challenger in an otherwise catastrophic year for the GOP, I think he should consider getting an exploratory committee together.  And maybe start chatting up foreign dignitaries.

"I got Indiana back on track, and I can do the same for America!"
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »

Jindal's chances hinge on what NO and the rest of LA looks like in 2011.  If there is a thriving renaissance Jindal is an excellent choice.  His skin color can only be a positive, even if it is a cynical move by the GOP to show they are "color blind."

Mitch Daniels is a superb governor and his economic credentials are beyond reproach.  He keeps a balanced budget, lowered property taxes (while raising the sales tax 1%), kept vital social services alive and well, AND provided health coverage for the uninsured!  Deficit-hawk conservatives will rally around him, and he can make a serious outreach to liberals as well.  Read his Wikipedia page for more info.

We'll see how he does against Jill Long Thompson.  If he can mount a substantial win against a very good challenger in an otherwise catastrophic year for the GOP, I think he should consider getting an exploratory committee together.  And maybe start chatting up foreign dignitaries.

"I got Indiana back on track, and I can do the same for America!"

From wikipedia re: Daniels' service as Bush's OMB Director (citations in original):

"In 2002, Daniels helped discredit a report by Assistant to the President on Economic Policy Lawrence B. Lindsey estimating the cost of the Iraq War at between $100-$200 billion. Daniels called this estimate "very, very high" and stated that the costs would be between $50-$60 billion.[6] As of 2007, the cost of the invasion and occupation of Iraq has exceeded $400 billion, and the Congressional Budget Office in August 2007 estimated that appropriations would eventually reach $1 trillion or more.[7]" 

I think this is why you didn't hear Daniels' name in McCain VP speculation. 
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »

From wikipedia re: Daniels' service as Bush's OMB Director (citations in original):

"In 2002, Daniels helped discredit a report by Assistant to the President on Economic Policy Lawrence B. Lindsey estimating the cost of the Iraq War at between $100-$200 billion. Daniels called this estimate "very, very high" and stated that the costs would be between $50-$60 billion.[6] As of 2007, the cost of the invasion and occupation of Iraq has exceeded $400 billion, and the Congressional Budget Office in August 2007 estimated that appropriations would eventually reach $1 trillion or more.[7]" 

I think this is why you didn't hear Daniels' name in McCain VP speculation. 

No one expected the Iraq operation to require large-scale troop commitment into Nov. 2008 and beyond, except perhaps a few visionaries.    A short war to depose the Ba'ath regime (which was correct) and a 1-2 year drawdown while order and new government were established, was the expectation.  And $50-$60 billion, while a bit low, is consistent with that.

Understandable that McCain wouldn't want to touch that, but I don't think you can fault him for it.  Candidate Daniels can brush that off very easily: "We all thought it would be a short operation, including all of the Democrats in Congress who voted for the war."  End of discussion.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:59 PM »

No one expected the Iraq operation to require large-scale troop commitment into Nov. 2008 and beyond, except perhaps a few visionaries.    A short war to depose the Ba'ath regime (which was correct) and a 1-2 year drawdown while order and new government were established, was the expectation.  And $50-$60 billion, while a bit low, is consistent with that.

Understandable that McCain wouldn't want to touch that, but I don't think you can fault him for it.  Candidate Daniels can brush that off very easily: "We all thought it would be a short operation, including all of the Democrats in Congress who voted for the war."  End of discussion.

Good point.  Aside from that, I like what I see of him. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies