Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:23:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012  (Read 22028 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: October 12, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »

Nothing about Thune suggests to me that  he is a bright enough bulb to make it. But maybe I have missed something.

He's not terribly bright at all.  But that's been a plus for some candidates in the past...
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »

Nothing about Thune suggests to me that  he is a bright enough bulb to make it. But maybe I have missed something.

He's not terribly bright at all.  But that's been a plus for some candidates in the past...

God, I need a drink. Depress me, and then depress me some more! 

Then let me cheer you up about what's good in your party...

Richard Lugar
Judd Gregg
Olympia Snowe
Mark Sanford
Charlie Crist
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Susan Collins
Tom Ridge

Aw heck, Torie... now you're encouraged and I'm depressed!  Still too many good ones!  Ha!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »

I want to hear more from Pence and Ryan, and some really smart guys JS. I am tired of drones! Olympia Snowe is nice, but her problem is that she is even more liberal than I am (aka totally un-nominatable) , and I don't think she is a genius. Lugar is a fossil, and hardly an articulate speaker really, Gregg almost there in the fossil camp  (but I love the man), and the rest of your list are hardly mental giants. Crist is pleasant enough, but I can tell he won't live past about 65.

You're talking about future Presidents and yes, I agree.  Part of the problem with the younger Republicans is that they are so damn socially conservative.  Social conservatism tends to attract religious extremists.  And religious extremism is rarely rooted in academia or intellectualism.  So a lot of the younger ones with the potential for success don't seem particularly bright.  (Though, like The Decider, they may well be very astute in terms of winning elections.)  But have hope, my friend.  I can't imagine a party that produced some real giants in the past won't produce more.

Pence is interesting.  I live, literally, a quarter mile from the part of his district that juts up into Allen County.  He is easily smarter (and nicer) than my Congressman...Mark Souder.  But both are what you would call, "nutters" on the social issues.  The hope is that he can maintain those convictions without going moonbat on us.  We don't know which direction Huckabee would have gone.  But on economic issues, watch Pence.  He might have been the biggest Republican dog in the fight against the bailout.  And he made some really salient points...politely.  I was impressed.

(I still supported the bailout -- kicking and screaming -- for reasons we discussed elsewhere.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies