if the world could vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  if the world could vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: if the world could vote  (Read 3170 times)
israeli vote08
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »

http://israelivote-usa.blogspot.com/     this is the url for an awesome blog about israels take on the 08 election
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »

http://israelivote-usa.blogspot.com/     this is the url for an awesome blog about israels take on the 08 election

I vote for Tzipi Livni.
ps79
Rookie
Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »

Wonder who Israel would vote for, if they had the right. Guess it's one of the few countries where McCain actually has a chance.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:20:26 PM »

Wonder who Israel would vote for, if they had the right. Guess it's one of the few countries where McCain actually has a chance.

Why would they vote McCain when American Jews will be going landslide Obama?
ps79
Rookie
Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:24:26 PM »

I guess cause they think Republicans will be tougher on international security issues. And Israel has quite a lot very rightwing orthodox Jews, more so than the US I think.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »

There are MUCH more secular Jews than Orthodox Jews in the US.  In Israel it's pretty much split.

Btw, Orthodox Jews went heavily for Bush, and should go similarly for McCain.
Thomas216
Rookie
Israel
Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: 4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »

There are MUCH more secular Jews than Orthodox Jews in the US.  In Israel it's pretty much split.

In Israel I'd say about 90% of Jews are orthodox, an overwhelming majority with no doubt.
The question is what do you mean by "orthodox", the default mod in Israel is orthodox, few are reforms, conservatives or reconstructionist but it doesn't mean they necessarily pray or even believe in god, about 50% of Jews in Israel consider themselves secular but almost all of them are orthodox (having an orthodox wedding, bar mitzvah, funeral etc.).
About 8% of Israel's population are ultra-orthodox, and I'm guessing they are the ones that are voting for republicans in the US (guessing you referred to New-York Hasidic Jews mainly).
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »

The fact that McCain would have a shot in Israel is not a good thing for McCain or the country
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »

The fact that McCain would have a shot in Israel is not a good thing for McCain or the country

If Israel was a state (or is it?) the number of electoral votes it would have, would cause McCain to pull his campaign out of every swing state in country and focus on only Tel-Aviv.
Jacobtm

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »

American Jews and Israelis are a different breed.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »

It's not about orthodox vs. secular, it's about religious vs. secular.  As Thomas216 noted, orthodox is the status quo in Israel, but that doesn't make the country particularly religious.

The Dems are historically linked to support for the PLO, I think that's the basic explanation.  Israel will tend to go for the hawkish US candidate.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »

... that would be the results:
http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/results
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »

Obama getting 82% of the US vote? LOL

and LOL @ McCain getting 100% (ie both votes) from Burkina Faso.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

Obama getting 82% of the US vote? LOL

and LOL @ McCain getting 100% (ie both votes) from Burkina Faso.

I wouldn't have guessed that there were two IP addresses in Burkina Faso.

"Now, starvin' Marvin, these are hors d'oeuvres.  These are what we eat before we eat to make us hungry."

"Umm, click?"

"Bad Starvin Marvin!  Those are my appetizers.  Get your own."

"Click.  Click.  'mm' bbp.  Click!"
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »

Check it out Lunar.  Results from Syria:

Obama 100%
McCain 0%.

I smell an excellent campaign ad in the works for John McCain.   Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »

Kazakhstan:

Obama:  82%
McCain:  18%

Must be all those Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan that swung the vote so heavily for Obama there. 

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »

McCain did win one country convincingly, Macedonia, which is not surprising considering his support for them.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:46 PM »

Damn near all 394 of them.  Wink

And you gotta love that name:   "Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of" 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »

This link is better than The Onion, actually.  Outside of China (The People's Republic of), no one mistakes The Onion as anything other than entertainment. 

I just cast the 89437th vote, by the way, from the United States of America, where Barack Obama has a commanding 64.2 percent lead over John McCain.  Cheesy

Go Barry!  It's your birthday!
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »

And you gotta love that name:   "Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of" 

Very long story there.  Check it out on Wikipedia some time.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »

Hey, if I could vote in the British, German, Canadian etc. (countries I like) elections, I'd be fine with letting them vote in mine.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »

The latest Spectra telephone poll conducted in Austria among 1000 people aged 15+, released today:

Obama - 50%
McCain - 7%

Undecided - 43%

http://www.spectra.at/archiv/Aktuell_13_08_uswahlen.pdf

So, Austria's 15 Electoral Votes will go to Obama ... Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2008, 06:46:32 PM by angus »

Hey, if I could vote in the British, German, Canadian etc. (countries I like) elections, I'd be fine with letting them vote in mine.

But you won't vote in theirs.  Neither will they in yours.  That's the paradox, really.  "If the world could vote..." then it would be voting for something not called "President of the United States."  Similarly, if a person is voting for "The president of Country X" then one can assume that the person under discussion has the right to vote in Country X.  It's fun exercise, but it's meaningless, at least until we get some form of World government and invent some office and some suffrage criteria, it's meaningless.  And certainly not a scientific poll.  What's funny is that all these posters are taking it so seriously.  Using it to settle arguments.  "Ummm, the Chasidic Jews are the most reliably Republican demographic out there."  "Oh, yeah?  Well, the shellfish-eating reform Jews used to like Liebermann (before he became a mouthpiece for McCain, that is).  Now we don't like him either."  "Oh, yeah, well apparently Venezuela likes McCain better than Peru."

We really don't know from this link whether Venezuela likes McCain better than Peru, do we?  And of course the Chassids are the most reliable Republicans out there, but that really isn't very relevant, since it's almost certain that Obama will win all the electoral votes from New York.  A better question would be, "Who ya hopin' will win?"  Have that translated into 103 languages, and get some representative polling, and weight appropriately, knowing, for example, that the average Burkina Faso resident neither owns a computer nor knows who is running for U.S. President.  Whether such weighting should account for whether a person gives a rats ass who becomes the next president when he's wondering where his next meal is coming from is a matter for debate, of course, but it's important not to take straw polls too seriously. 

Now, Tender Branson's at least looking at people who own telephones.  Unfortunately, they're going for folks who have more pimples than bills, and who are at that age where they masturbate more times in one day than I've voted in my entire lifetime, but at least they're trying.

It's all in good fun.  I'm just ripping the folks taking such internet straw poll results (about a question that poses an existential paradox) as evidence of anything other than the fact that the 304 Macedonians who actually own computers have heard of Obama, and the 2 Burkina Faso residents who actually own computers have apparently heard of McCain.  Lest anyone take any of it too seriously.

Well, that and I'm bored.  I should probably find something constructive to do.  We all should.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

Pakistan keeps trending toward McCain.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »

Why is MCCain doing so well in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies