The South (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:02:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The South (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The South  (Read 12580 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: February 24, 2004, 06:33:30 AM »

Elections at large with everybody having as many votes as there are seats are the least democratic system of representation available...tellingly they are the most commonly used alternative to single member districts in the US.
STV is something quite different. It's currently used in Ireland, Northern Ireland and (with single member districts) Australia. I think there are a handful of cities in the US that currently use it, fairvote.org probably has a complete list...
If the districts are large enough (5 is a bare minimum) it's the most democratic system available, because unlike normal PR, it takes into account that parties are not equidistant.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 07:06:26 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Most local elections in the U.K are done like that...
But with two or three member districts if I remember right, so it's not an absolute catastrophe...

PS Realpolitik, we need YOU to join the Constitutionalist Party!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:55:45 AM »

But with two or three member districts if I remember right, so it's not an absolute catastrophe...

Usually. But not in Birmingham... [shudders]

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Going into fantasy mode:
I'm going to make the Constitutionalist Party an affiliate of the Democratic Party in West Virginia (kinda like the Co-op party in the U.K and used to be common in the U.S when there were powerful third parties). That way I (er... I mean the Citizens of West Virginia) can have my (er... their) cake and eat it.

Senator Al Realpolitik
Chair: UMW
Chair: AFWVDP
Now wait a second...The WV Constitutionalists as well as the WV Democrats will have to decide on that...
So you'll have to join us for a minute (you can do that by osting in the conststitutional party thread), affiliate yourself with yourelf and then you can go back to being a Democrat...
UMW is United Mine Workers?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 11:38:27 PM »

Something worth a look: the CD map of MS for the 1980 election (on this site, but you need to be a member).
Compare it to the current map.
Could you give us a short overview? Don't export the actual maps of course, just describe the general idea?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies