Urban Regeneration Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:03:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Urban Regeneration Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Urban Regeneration Bill  (Read 5701 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2005, 03:53:40 PM »

NIMBYism?  Do you even know what that is?  You're not building anything in my backyard, you're trying to move factories and jobs OUT of mny backyard.  Those are the very things I want IN my backyard.

This bill does not move anything out of anywhere. The general idea is to encourage economic growth (which would almost certainly be concentrated in manufacturing) in areas that desperately need it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It could be argued that some of it was... although I don't think it was and you'll note that I voted for 'em.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2005, 03:59:19 PM »

The amount of manufacturing that will take place will only be enough to satisfy demand.  When one factory is needed, you don't build one in Michigan and Arizona, you just build in one.  Since no city in Arizona could possibly qualify as having historic importance to maufacturing, the tax breaks will go to people who build a factory in Michigan instead of Arizona, or move out of Arizona into Michigan.  The cities that qualify for tax breaks are almost exclusively going to be in the industrial midwest, and so the industrial midwest will begin to suck jobs in from other areas as businesses relocate to get tax breaks.

This will encourage these industrial states to keep on with their high tax, high regulation, closed shop policies, while those states that pursue growth oriented policies get screwed because they aren't of "historical importance".  So yes, this bill will result in a relocation of jobs and businesses from the sunbelt to the rustbelt.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2005, 04:03:25 PM »

The amount of manufacturing that will take place will only be enough to satisfy demand.  When one factory is needed, you don't build one in Michigan and Arizona, you just build in one.  Since no city in Arizona could possibly qualify as having historic importance to maufacturing, the tax breaks will go to people who build a factory in Michigan instead of Arizona, or move out of Arizona into Michigan.  The cities that qualify for tax breaks are almost exclusively going to be in the industrial midwest, and so the industrial midwest will begin to suck jobs in from other areas as businesses relocate to get tax breaks.

This will encourage these industrial states to keep on with their high tax, high regulation, closed shop policies, while those states that pursue growth oriented policies get screwed because they aren't of "historical importance".  So yes, this bill will result in a relocation of jobs and businesses from the sunbelt to the rustbelt.

I've got rid of the historic importance bit
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2005, 09:40:51 PM »

Just a thought, but perhaps some sort of job retraining via, say, community colleges, could be useful to have in the bill? You know, to help out those workers whose jobs were lost and unlikely to return?

Comments?

Aha... originally this (Urban Regeneration) was part a) of a joint bill me and Supersoulty were working on. If this passes I'll introduce the other half (educational stuff) if he doesn't.

Ah, got it.

And can you and John Ford come to a compromise on this?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2005, 09:44:03 PM »

Just a thought, but perhaps some sort of job retraining via, say, community colleges, could be useful to have in the bill? You know, to help out those workers whose jobs were lost and unlikely to return?

Comments?

Aha... originally this (Urban Regeneration) was part a) of a joint bill me and Supersoulty were working on. If this passes I'll introduce the other half (educational stuff) if he doesn't.

I appologize for that Al.  I hope I can work on that soon.  But it I get overloaded, I would be happy if you took it over for me.  I'm up to my ears in research that I have to do for other things, all the research required for that bill would just be a huge pain in the ass.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2005, 04:21:07 AM »

Comments?

I appologize for that Al.  I hope I can work on that soon.  But it I get overloaded, I would be happy if you took it over for me.  I'm up to my ears in research that I have to do for other things, all the research required for that bill would just be a huge pain in the ass.

I'd be happy to do it Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies