Obama raised more than $100 million in September, according to the NYT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Obama raised more than $100 million in September, according to the NYT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama raised more than $100 million in September, according to the NYT  (Read 9076 times)
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 12:56:58 AM »

You really can't go on "raised in September."  COH is $9 million apart, not a lot.  Just to make double parity, it's just over the RNC's COH at the start of the month.

You can go on "raised in September."  You can go on "raised in the 3rd quarter."  You can go on "raised this election cycle."  Any way you look at it the DSCC has solidly outperformed the NRSC in fundraising.  $9 million is over half the NRSC's CoH.  It's $9 million that the RNC will have to make up if they want their Senate candidates to stay competitive in campaign spending.  It's $9 million the RNC won't be able to spend helping out McCain when they're already in the hole compared to Obama.  It's also $9 million the RNC won't be able to use propping up the NRCC, which is even worse shape.  And that's just the cash disparity as of October 1st.  Considering the trend in fundraising so far, the DSCC is likely to outperform the NRSC again in October, which is increasing the disparity as we speak (or type).

You are making an assumption that RNC will primarily fund Senate candidates.  They don't.

Uh, no, I didn't, but if the NRSC is at least $9 million behind the DSCC (which they are), and assuming that fundraising among individual Senators averages out as roughly equal on both sides (since we don't know all of the actual numbers there), the RNC will have to make up the difference or suffer the consequences of their vulnerable Senate candidates getting outspent in the final weeks.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »

You really can't go on "raised in September."  COH is $9 million apart, not a lot.  Just to make double parity, it's just over the RNC's COH at the start of the month.

You can go on "raised in September."  You can go on "raised in the 3rd quarter."  You can go on "raised this election cycle."  Any way you look at it the DSCC has solidly outperformed the NRSC in fundraising.  $9 million is over half the NRSC's CoH.  It's $9 million that the RNC will have to make up if they want their Senate candidates to stay competitive in campaign spending.  It's $9 million the RNC won't be able to spend helping out McCain when they're already in the hole compared to Obama.  It's also $9 million the RNC won't be able to use propping up the NRCC, which is even worse shape.  And that's just the cash disparity as of October 1st.  Considering the trend in fundraising so far, the DSCC is likely to outperform the NRSC again in October, which is increasing the disparity as we speak (or type).

You are making an assumption that RNC will primarily fund Senate candidates.  They don't.

Uh, no, I didn't, but if the NRSC is at least $9 million behind the DSCC (which they are), and assuming that fundraising among individual Senators averages out as roughly equal on both sides (since we don't know all of the actual numbers there), the RNC will have to make up the difference or suffer the consequences of their vulnerable Senate candidates getting outspent in the final weeks.

I hate to tell you this, but candidates, especially incumbents, raise their own money.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »

I am willing to bet that Obama will raise upwards of $250 million to $300 million once fundraising reports come out for the month of October. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »

I am willing to bet that Obama will raise upwards of $250 million to $300 million once fundraising reports come out for the month of October. 

He may have, but that isn't the congressional races.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »

BTW, how much has Obama raised overall, thus far?  $500 million?  $600 million?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 03:32:53 PM »

BTW, how much has Obama raised overall, thus far?  $500 million?  $600 million?

I think it was over $500 M by the end of August.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »

It's 640 million I think now.  (604 by October 1st. 36 million first two weeks of October)
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

It's 640 million I think now.  (604 by October 1st. 36 million first two weeks of October)
Do you think it was a good idea of rhim to opt out of public financing, then?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 07:36:20 PM »

It was a gamble, but it paid off.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »

About time you admitted that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »

I said that from the start, that it could pay off.  It's like Palin.  We're at the point where she might pay off, but she might not.
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »

I said that from the start, that it could pay off.  It's like Palin.  We're at the point where she might pay off, but she might not.

I think we're well past that point.  Palin has been dragging McCain down and is going to cost him dearly a week from Tuesday.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »

I think we're well past that point.  Palin has been dragging McCain down and is going to cost him dearly a week from Tuesday.

Maybe, maybe not.  Shades of Mypalfish.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »

I agree. JJ is looking awfully like this election's mypalfish, except not in a close race.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »

I agree. JJ is looking awfully like this election's mypalfish, except not in a close race.

No, I'm saying, let it play out.  I've called Palin a gamble since the announcement.  If anything loses this election for McCain, it's the economy.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 10:55:42 PM »

So whats with mypalfish?? What did he do?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 02:04:09 AM »

So whats with mypalfish?? What did he do?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=12005.0
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »

ouch
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

Don't count you chickens until they are hatched.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]