The Surfer Vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
  The Surfer Vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Surfer Vote  (Read 2896 times)
Carioca
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2004, 03:52:12 PM »

I was just on Transworld SURF Magazine's website. There is a poll asking which candidate would be a better president for surfers.

Here are the results:

-John Kerry 37.4%
-George Bush 49.5%
-Ralph Nadar 3.6%
-I don't give a damn! 8.5%

I was surprised that Bush is winning by a large marigin.

Any other conservative surfers out there?

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:07:55 AM »

not in Australia...

things like that are because when people expect their guy to lose they vote, but if they expect them to win they don't. If you actually polled every surfer, Kerry'd do a lot better.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 03:59:36 AM »

Jocks trend towards Bush, but they don't really understand any issues.  Its more of a 'hua' kick-ass macho thing.

They naturally hate someone who can think, or who takes any notice of those weaker than himself, such as Kerry.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:35:48 AM »

Stoners support their own.
Baggy Green
Spin Doctor
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:15:15 AM »

not in Australia...

things like that are because when people expect their guy to lose they vote, but if they expect them to win they don't. If you actually polled every surfer, Kerry'd do a lot better.

Nearly everyone up here surfs, including me, and I live in one of the strongest Liberal seats in the country.

Carioca, I don't think surfers are either way. They are certainly more conservative than sk8ers. It really depends on what the area where they live is like. For instance, most surfers in the USA live in SoCal(Orange County, San Diego, Riverside County) and the southeast(VA,NC,SC,FL). Both of those areas are very Republican.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 05:25:51 PM »

Why is Nader in all these polls? He's getting his a$$ kicked by Badnarik on ballot access.

But anyways, those morons probably think it's "patriotic" to support incumbents. Not that I'm singling out surfers, it's the whole teenagers-with-social-lives-mob-mentality thing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 06:35:29 PM »

Baggy-on the Victorian surf coasts the seats are Liberal, but mainly because of retirees, and the green vote is higher then other country areas. Surfies here trend left, no doubt about it. I presume it's the same up there, but the seats are also full of old fogies?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 07:06:26 PM »

Why is Nader in all these polls? He's getting his a$$ kicked by Badnarik on ballot access.

But anyways, those morons probably think it's "patriotic" to support incumbents. Not that I'm singling out surfers, it's the whole teenagers-with-social-lives-mob-mentality thing.

The surf vote and you're asking why Nader, and not Badnarik, is there?

In any case, interesting results, but I don't understand why it adds up to 99%.
Baggy Green
Spin Doctor
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 06:28:33 AM »

Baggy-on the Victorian surf coasts the seats are Liberal, but mainly because of retirees, and the green vote is higher then other country areas. Surfies here trend left, no doubt about it. I presume it's the same up there, but the seats are also full of old fogies?

First off, the surfing in Victoria is terrible

Fogies? I live in Surfers Paradise, not a whole lot of fogies around here(less than other places at least). There aren't many Greens here either. In my seat they took 4% of the vote, but Family First took 3% and One Nation got 2%, so I would think that kind of balances it out.

But yes, I assume that surfers in VIC vote Labor or Green. That's my point, it depends on the area. Surfers are certainly not as knee-jerk left as sk8ers.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 07:34:14 AM »

Well, i'd suggest surfers isn't at all typical of surf beaches.

I'd aso like to say that Victoria is home to Portsea back beach, Lornea, Fairhaven, and most importantly, Australia's best surf-Bells. The water may be cold, but you cant beat the old grannys' waves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies