Is true GOP voters much less likely to travel abroad?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:27:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Is true GOP voters much less likely to travel abroad?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is true GOP voters much less likely to travel abroad?  (Read 706 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »

Just anecdotal but of Americans I have met outside US, it seems that overwhelming majority are Democrats, especially under Trump where few Republicans I met abroad were mostly Never Trumpers.  Would there be a strong correlation between having a passport and how one votes.  I believe majority of Americans do not have a passport, but close to 40% do.  Thoughts here?
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 05:08:04 PM »

Aren't most active duty service members and vets conservative? I'd imagine it's fairly close from that alone.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »

Aren't most active duty service members and vets conservative? I'd imagine it's fairly close from that alone.

Pre-Trump yes but under Trump much closer with his comments on military.  That being said most military types stay on the base and you aren't likely to run into them nearly to extent you will with an American tourist.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 05:13:27 PM »

I think there's a strong correlation of both income and education with traveling abroad, so Democrats are probably disproportionately represented but most of them are professional managerial class and not working-class Democrats. I agree that accounting for income, equally wealthy Republicans are less likely to travel outside of the country especially if they are small business owners. Furthermore, I think there's partisan selection in terms of travel destination with Democrats being much more likely to travel to Europe or Asia while Republicans stick to say flights to Cancun or a road trip across the border to Canada.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 04:46:57 AM »

Furthermore, I think there's partisan selection in terms of travel destination with Democrats being much more likely to travel to Europe or Asia while Republicans stick to say flights to Cancun or a road trip across the border to Canada.

I think that goes for many other things (Dems more likely to try some sort of ethnic restaurant, Reps more likely to eat at a sit down chain restaurant. Dems more likely to enjoy Prog Rock or Alternative Rock, Reps more likely to enjoy Hair Metal)

I have no evidence for those, but I'm hypothesizing those based on my personal observations.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

Maybe, but Republicans tend to win all the types of voters who barely leave their patch of Texas or the Midwest, and the like, and may have never travelled abroad. It's a stereotype but there are people who think Delaware is exotic.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »

I think there's a strong correlation of both income and education with traveling abroad, so Democrats are probably disproportionately represented but most of them are professional managerial class and not working-class Democrats. I agree that accounting for income, equally wealthy Republicans are less likely to travel outside of the country especially if they are small business owners. Furthermore, I think there's partisan selection in terms of travel destination with Democrats being much more likely to travel to Europe or Asia while Republicans stick to say flights to Cancun or a road trip across the border to Canada.

I do agree on the self-selection on destinations. Go on a cruise ship or to a resort in the Caribbean and it's all Republicans.

I also suspect Republicans mostly know they're hated internationally and therefore keep quiet about their politics when traveling abroad.

The current sorting of voters along education and income lines (as well as, in a more hard-to-measure way, racial attitudes) is definitely making international travelers more Democratic, though.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 11:46:28 AM »

I do agree on the self-selection on destinations. Go on a cruise ship or to a resort in the Caribbean and it's all Republicans.

I also suspect Republicans mostly know they're hated internationally and therefore keep quiet about their politics when traveling abroad.

The current sorting of voters along education and income lines (as well as, in a more hard-to-measure way, racial attitudes) is definitely making international travelers more Democratic, though.

I'd disagree, anecdotally speaking.

My Republican family appears to view vacation exclusively as a means for relaxation. Meaning closer destinations, more "natural" destinations (think beach over city), and more family bonding than cerebral fulfillment.

Meanwhile Democrats in my experience tend to enjoy manmade areas (cities vs beaches), and learning the fascinating cultural ideosynchracies of where they go. I also notice international travel carries a bit of clout to it with Dems, as if to say "look at how worldly I am, look at how rich I am, I'm better than you, you provincial backwards inferior trailer trash.".

Back to Republicans. In my observation, they think much of the world loves America and the Republican party. Except for everyone in
Muslim majority countries or Communist countries. Because "America's the greatest country in the world and they hate freedom.". And they think that Canadians really want to change their healthcare system because of the "wait times" but that the government won't let them. Although I do hear about how "it's not a good idea to leave the resort with how violent Mexico is".

Listen to any country song and it's along the lines of drinking a beer and sitting back and relaxing. Tranquility, not internal enlightenment.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »

Perhaps this is relevant.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »

My Republican family loves to travel abroad especially to Europe. Now I'm not sure why anyone would discuss politics on vacation and also nobody brought it up to us and we met quite a few people in Edinburgh and London when we visited. Has nothing to do about us thinking we're hated it's just not a good conversation topic when you meet people.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 11:15:04 PM »

Democrats being much more likely to travel to Europe or Asia while Republicans stick to say flights to Cancun

Was going to say this. I think Republicans leave the country, but to tropical destinations. Democrats are more likely, I think, use travel to experience different cultures and therefore more likely to travel to Europe or South America etc rather than sit on the beach.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 01:43:11 AM »

The rule of thumb for Americans living abroad is that unless they work in oil and gas they are almost certainly going to be a liberal or at least socially liberal. o Singapore in particular was one of the only places where in the democratic abroad primary more people voted Clinton. I think the american community in singapore would vote similarly to that of an upscale suburb giving Obama narrow 5 point wins but going for Clinton and then Biden in a landslide.

Remember Democratic presidents are generarly liked more abroad then republicans for a wide variety of reasons and I think americans living abroad then to absorb some of that.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 02:21:54 PM »

Here's how Republicans travel

Man charged with hate crime after verbal, physical assault on family of Asian descent

The incident occurred at approximately 4:15 p.m. on Thursday, June 10, on Okaloosa Island on the Florida panhandle about 40 miles east of Pensacola, when witnesses say that 54-year-old Forney, Texas, tourist Wade Anton reportedly told a woman and her children to “go back where they came from” and then made a racial slur against them, according to the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office.

He was apparently mad that the kids were petting his dog.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 02:27:37 PM »

While there are still some bidnez Republicans and a few educated ones that travel to Europe and places like NYC or New Orleans, I think most of your klantrash Trumpers have no interest is such places and generally go to the beach or lake for their vacation needs
pikachu
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 07:15:41 PM »

Adding to the points made above, a decent amount of the Democratic base also consists of first- and second-generation Latinos (and to a lesser extent Asians), a lot of whom I'd guess probably go back to their countries of origin on a regular basis. And, ofc, the two GOP-leaning groups of recent immigrant origin - Cubans and Vietnamese - are stymied by travel restrictions and very high flight costs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies