Just what Kerry doesn't need right now...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:34:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Just what Kerry doesn't need right now...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Just what Kerry doesn't need right now...  (Read 4060 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2004, 03:00:10 PM »

Maybe if you weren't too God damn lazy to help those people, you wouldn't try to steal other people's to give to an organization that has nothing to do with the issue, and would likely funnel it to your dictator of choice.

Because it still costs us money, and they don't do their job anyway

There is a cost to living among neighbors.

If they want to not live among us anymore, I'm sure I'll get over it.

Look, I am completely against the International Tax proposal.  But just because we disagree with it, doesn't mean we should take our toys and go home.  We Americans still need to be willing to listen and remain part of the the Club, even if at the end of most days we simply cast a veto and agree to disagree.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2004, 03:13:37 PM »

Their club sucks.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 03:15:20 PM »

But it is still the only club in town.  

You don't withdraw from society just because you disagree with it.  Only cults do that.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 03:23:19 PM »

Don't care.  I've had it with their anti Americanism, their blatant corruption, and their arrogance.

The fact that they actually believe we ought to pay an international tax is outrageous.
Freedom
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2004, 03:40:48 PM »

Terrible idea
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2004, 03:45:06 PM »

It's SO counter-productive and is such a waste to just sit there and agree to disagree. I mean it's not like it's a department head meeting or something. First, the UN consists of too many nations and too many dyametrically opposed interests/agendas to really work effectively. Same reason why a one-world government would certainly fail. Secondly, alliances are formed ad hoc now, on a need-to-have basis. Everyone does it. The US is only partially appreciated and respected when we're doing something at the wishes of the inernational community and usually we're criticized when we do that on the grounds that there's more we could do. Once we're done doing something at the wishes of the international community we're back to being a greedy capitalist Empire.

And there are people on the left who come out and say that we've lost respect in the international community. Well I don't think there's much we could do to gain it. All they want us for is a source of money for mega social programs that have bankrupted or more accurately could never be sustained by their own damn economies. To hell's depths with that, sorry.

The officials in the UN also resent the wealthy, successful people/class in the US and what capitalism has done for us and now want to punish this country with an international tax. That really does it as far as I'm concerned.

The UN has outlived its usefulness.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2004, 03:52:44 PM »

55 billion isn't  a whole lot of money for an international tax, I doubt it would have much effect and I doubt we would step up to the plate to deal with World Poverty so I'll brush this off lightly.

Maybe 55 Billion is not a whole lot of money to you, but give it time.  Every tax designed by politicians has only gone up over time, so would this.  Once the principle was established that the UN could tax, they would use that power to the max.

As with all taxes, an international tax would only go up.  The orihinal income tax rate in the US was less than 10%, now the top rate is 37%.  The original
I once stood at 90% though, or was it 95%?

The highest marginal income tax rate in the US was 94%, at the end of WWII.  But it was much lower for capital gains, as it is today.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies