Democrats will launch "IOWA STRATEGY" to win
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:12:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Democrats will launch "IOWA STRATEGY" to win
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats will launch "IOWA STRATEGY" to win  (Read 1788 times)
BushTheImperalist
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2004, 05:37:58 AM »
« edited: September 18, 2004, 05:40:55 AM by BushTheImperalist »

Talking to some friends last night who are sick of Bush yet dont know who Kerry is, it seems clear that Bush has now firmly targeted the North Midwest.

Democrats i have heard are going to adopt the "IOWA STRATEGY" in Wisconsin and Minnesota in early October.

"IOWA STRATEGY" is literally phoning every house in the phone book and getting every crumb out. So if you live in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa pull your phone out. If you dont have a phone your `ll get a knock on the door.

In 2000 after a hard silent month starting three weeks before the election, democratic Strategists predicted through the "IOWA strategy" that Bush/Gore would have nomore than 650,000 voters but that both had a guaranted of Bush around 633,000 and Gore 637,000 through intense workings in the last few days of the election. My cousin in davenport was phoned not once but 7 times (3 in the last two days) over the three weeks.

Will this work again? Is the Iowa strategy the future of election making. And who foots the phone bill. Yep thats right us the people. And to make it worse the other guy intimidates the people.

So its a choice mr.imperalism or mr.who
World Order
Spinning Crackpots
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 05:47:42 AM »

Kerry still needs help. Missouri wont give it to him.

New Hampshire is plausible, West Virginia also. I still think that the democrat polling groups are producing dirty tricks to get the vote out as thetie is very possible.

The "iowa strategy" i read about a few ago. its incredibly expensive to do for the party but is the most effective way of determining where the state is going. I know that the democratic party did it all over St.Louis in early june to detemine how much to spend.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 06:51:13 AM »

Encouraging people to vote is dirty tricks now is it! I'm sure Bush would love these voters to stay at home, and of course it's partizan, but encouraging people to vote should never ever be considered 'dirty'
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 07:04:07 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2004, 07:06:54 AM by dazzleman »

Al Gore won Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin, so I think it is more fair to say that Kerry needs these states to win than to say that Bush will lose without them.

Bush has definitely targeted the upper midwest including Minnesota, a state that Republicans usually write off.

As far as the "Iowa strategy" goes, both parties do this to one degree or another.  I have gotten phone calls urging me to go out and vote.  I don't think it should be necessary - people should go out and vote without being reminded or urged - but it is a reality that both parties do it because in close elections, turnout matters a lot.

Democrats have been better at this in the past than Republicans, largely because Republican voters have been more apt to turn out on their own without reminders, while Democratic voters tend to be less committed.

I think it's a perfectly legitimate practice and I don't see it giving particular advantage to the Democrats as long as the Republicans do it also.  Dirty tricks involve paying people to vote, enrolling dead voters, lying about being denied access to vote, etc.  My perception is that the Democrats engage in a lot more of these types of dirty tricks because they have political control in areas with large population, while Republicans have political control in areas with smaller population, giving them fewer opportunities for the types of dirty tricks that the Democrats engage in in places like Chicago and St. Louis.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 09:49:45 AM »

No, not necessarily. That's like asking, if Bush wins Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Colorado, is he re-elected? No, not necessarily.

If Kerry doesn't win the states you list, we keep Bush. If Bush doesn't win the states I listed, we have a new President.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 11:43:35 AM »

Al Gore won all three of those states.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 01:02:21 PM »

The upper midwest is vital to retain for any Democratic Electoral victory. If two of the three (WI, IA, MN) go Republican this time it puts tremendous pressure on Kerry. From 2000, Kerry starts 10 EV short, and two of the three upper midwest is another 17-20 EV.

Kerry needs small states like WV, NV, and NH to overcome the reapportionment effect after 2000. Losses in the upper midwest as well put on tremendous pressure to carry OH, FL or both. Kerry has little choice but to compete aggressively in WI, IA and MN or his campaign will be a very deep hole.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 05:01:29 PM »

As has been pointed out Gore won all three and still lost.  at the moment I think Kerry will be lucky if he carries two out of the three.  The debates could change that, but since Kerry got a negative bounce after his convention I idoubt it.

zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 10:17:51 PM »

The upper midwest is vital to retain for any Democratic Electoral victory. If two of the three (WI, IA, MN) go Republican this time it puts tremendous pressure on Kerry. From 2000, Kerry starts 10 EV short, and two of the three upper midwest is another 17-20 EV.

Kerry needs small states like WV, NV, and NH to overcome the reapportionment effect after 2000. Losses in the upper midwest as well put on tremendous pressure to carry OH, FL or both. Kerry has little choice but to compete aggressively in WI, IA and MN or his campaign will be a very deep hole.

Lucky for Kerry the election is not today:  He trails not only in NV, WV, NH but in WI and IA.  You are indeed correct: his campaign is in a very deep hole.
freewayticket
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 01:04:49 AM »

Oh great just what I need is a phone call now. Since I live in one of the states listed above this isn't great news as I am starting tire of this campaign. Luckily, I have an unlisted phone number and haven't been called yet. However, I am sure they will find me. I am already sick of watching Kerry's "hardluck" campaign stories by 527 groups and the Kerry campaign that I am being barraged with on TV. Everytime I see them it makes me less and less apt to vote for the guy and now I hear that I will be in one of the target states and I will be seeing more of these ads and of him makes me cringe. Being in a toss-up state has it's advantages but it also has it's drawbacks as well.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 01:14:09 AM »

Kerry needs more than those to win.
Conversely, he can win without Wisonsin. The latest polls show him doing better in Florida and Colorado than in Wisconsin.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies