"White Flight" in the Jackson MSA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:35:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "White Flight" in the Jackson MSA  (Read 12182 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

Anyone got a better example of the political effects of "White Flight"?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 10:17:43 AM »

Compare population figures and election results in Hinds and Madison counties (MS) between 1976 and 2000

I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:23:08 AM »

I know their has been "white flight" from Baltimore City since 1964 but I don't know if it has had any affect on how Democratic the city is. Although I do know the quality of life has declined as well as the asthetic beauty. Mostly because ghetto people don't care about improving their neighborhoods.

Well, when you are under constant threat of crime, as well as in extreme poverty, the aesthetic beauty of your neighborhood tends to not be your first priority.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 10:24:33 AM »

Well, when you are under constant threat of crime, as well as in extreme poverty, the aesthetic beauty of your neighborhood tends to not be your first priority.

I believe that if you try to prevent your neighborhood from falling into shambles it will help prevent crime. Awareness leads to safety.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 10:31:40 AM »

I believe that if you try to prevent your neighborhood from falling into shambles it will help prevent crime. Awareness leads to safety.

I would agree, but such solutions can't come from the people themselves, because they have too many other things to worry about, like simply trying to stay alive. It has to come from someone who has the resources along with the creativity to make it happen. Whether that comes from government or the private sector is irrelevant, but to blame the individuals for not caring when they have far bigger problems is not the right solution.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »

I would agree, but such solutions can't come from the people themselves, because they have too many other things to worry about, like simply trying to stay alive. It has to come from someone who has the resources along with the creativity to make it happen. Whether that comes from government or the private sector is irrelevant, but to blame the individuals for not caring when they have far bigger problems is not the right solution.

Simple mantienance can prevent long term destruction. For example, if I am having some money problems and neglect to mow my yard and the grass is 3 foot high. Should it then become someone elses problem to take care of or am I, as a property owner, still responsible for the land? Many neighborhoods dont even have associations or watches and that leads to a lot of problems as well.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 10:46:14 AM »

I agree, though I would assume that a large percentage of those who live in such areas rent and do not own their own homes. Most of those who are in dire poverty are obviously not able to afford to be a property owner.

I would also agree that enforcement of regulations about the height of grass and such would definitely help.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2004, 05:18:26 PM by David S »

The same thing happened to Detroit. The city is close to 90% African American now. The Detroit vote goes heavily Democratic.

The change that has occurred there in the last 40 years is shocking. Once well cared for neighborhoods are now in shambles. Talking a walk down the street would be a dangerous thing to do now. Many houses have bars on the windows, something rarely seem in the suburbs. The high school my wife attended there 35 years ago was very nice then, but today it is in constant need of repair because of vandalism.

This is a terrible problem facing many cities. To be honest I don't know the answer to it, but pouring more money into it is not an  answer.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 03:29:23 PM »

I spent the majority of my first 22 years of life growing up in a neighborhood that was 95% black.  So trust me when I tell you that most poor people in America are poor because they are fools.  They constantly make choices that perpetuate their poverty and it carries over into the appearance of their homes (and thus their neighborhoods).

We had no more money than anyone else on our block.  But we made sure the grass in our yard was cut and our trees and shrubs were trimmed.  We refused government help because we understood it would make us dependent.  We instead invested in ourselves and made choices to better ourselves.  And now my whole family (my parents, my three bothers, and myself) are out of poverty.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 03:45:04 PM »

White flight is virtually universal in the US, facilitated by the Interstate Highway boondoggle.  The upper middle working class has imprisoned itself in the automobile to avoid contact with blacks.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 06:44:44 PM »

White flight is virtually universal in the US, facilitated by the Interstate Highway boondoggle.  The upper middle working class has imprisoned itself in the automobile to avoid contact with blacks.  

I have noticed since I've lived in the deep south that the situation is a LOT different here. I live in a mixed neighborhood of whites, mexicans, and some blacks. Everyone is very friendly with each other and we even bring plates of food to each others houses when relatives die. When I grew up in Baltimore if you were white, you'd be deathly afraid to walk down the streets of some black neighborhoods. I feel comfortable going into any neighborhood around here or in Tampa. Exclude Miami of course, that town is terrible.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 11:06:29 PM »

I came across this site while doing a little internet research for this post. The site shows some of the more blighted areas of Detroit. Before You go there I should warn you that whoever put this website together is pretty racist. Also I don't know if his statistics are correct. But the pictures do depict many areas of Detroit that have seen white flight.
http://www.stormfront.org/whitehistory/hwrdet4a.htm

Not all of Detroit is like this. There are some nice places.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 03:24:40 AM »

I spent the majority of my first 22 years of life growing up in a neighborhood that was 95% black.  So trust me when I tell you that most poor people in America are poor because they are fools.  They constantly make choices that perpetuate their poverty and it carries over into the appearance of their homes (and thus their neighborhoods).

We had no more money than anyone else on our block.  But we made sure the grass in our yard was cut and our trees and shrubs were trimmed.  We refused government help because we understood it would make us dependent.  We instead invested in ourselves and made choices to better ourselves.  And now my whole family (my parents, my three bothers, and myself) are out of poverty.

I also have grown up in a very poor area. We don't have the violence that is seen in the cities, and almost everyone here is white, but I can tell you for a fact that while we do have some of the problems you have seen, most people simply cannot get ahead because they cannot get good quality jobs, and they can't afford to move to someplace where they can get one.

I completely agree that government needs to enfoce regulations on lawn mowing and the like, and take a more active role in urban revitalization.

I completely agree with you on personal responsibility. People have to take responsibility for their lives, and their own actions.

However, that is often not enough. There are often not jobs available for people to get that they are qualified for. In order to get qualified, they have to go to college. This costs money, and also requires time to be able to attend classes, which these people often do not have an abundance of due to having to work long hours simply to make ends almost meet.

In addition, if they had a poor childhood, they may not have been equipped with the ability to take full advantage of their childhood. Yes, ultimately the answer is good parenting. But in the meantime, we have to do something for those people who aren't fortunate enough to have good parents, or else we can't break out of the cycle.

Your neighborhood is not at all necesarily representative of all of America, by any means. Most black people and poor people in general that I have dealt with have been extremely hard working, knowledgeable indivduals, but there are simply not the jobs nor the education availble to them to allow them to get ahead.

We can't help the poor get ahead by simply assuming that they must be lazy if they can't make it. If we continue to turn our backs on them and refuse to give a helping hand for those who are responsible enough to be able to utilize it effectively, we won't turn around these neighborhoods. Instead of playing off of racial divisiveness, people of both sides of the racial divide need to set it aside and focus on what they can do to make these neighborhoods better.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 04:19:14 AM »

Nym90,

Illegals crossing the boarder have no trouble finding jobs.  Why?  Because they are willing to work!

90% of the poor people I have been in contact with (whether they are black, white, brown...live in the city or country) are IGNORANT.

Everyone probably goes broke at least once in their lives, but to be in a constant state of poverty in this country is a sign that something is wrong with the individual.

For instance, during the BOOM, the unemployment rate was still 4%...who the heck were these 4%?  If you couldn't find a job during the boom, then you were simply unemployable.
raggage

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 06:06:30 AM »

Are you trying to tell me that the 'ghetto' is exclusively not white? The way that comment was phrased ALMOST sounds racist in nature.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 08:36:37 AM »

Are you trying to tell me that the 'ghetto' is exclusively not white? The way that comment was phrased ALMOST sounds racist in nature.

The majority of those who live in broke down poor inner cities are black. Its usually about 70-80%. YOU GO TO BALTIMORE CITY AND WHO ME ALL THESE WHITE PEOPLE LIVING IN THE GHETTO, OK? Get a clue. Just because you can't accept that fact does NOT make it racist.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 06:36:32 PM »

Nym90,

Illegals crossing the boarder have no trouble finding jobs.  Why?  Because they are willing to work!

90% of the poor people I have been in contact with (whether they are black, white, brown...live in the city or country) are IGNORANT.

Everyone probably goes broke at least once in their lives, but to be in a constant state of poverty in this country is a sign that something is wrong with the individual.

For instance, during the BOOM, the unemployment rate was still 4%...who the heck were these 4%?  If you couldn't find a job during the boom, then you were simply unemployable.

Yes, but at the same time, those illegal aliens are illegally in this country, and employing them is also illegal. It just goes to show that corporations don't care, they will take anybody, especially if they can hold over their head the threat of being deported if they dare to report unsanitary or unsafe working conditions or ridiculously low wages. They often prefer to hire illegals because they want to pay low wages and be able to treat them however they'd like.

And these illegal aliens are mostly still poor! They fit the definition of being "in poverty." So the fact that they have jobs doesn't mean they aren't poor. The same goes for many other poor people who aren't immigrants, also.

The unemployment rates prove my point. Unemployment has been between 4-6%, but yet the poverty rate is about 12%.

A lot of people work, and are still poor. That should never be the case...anyone who has a job should be able to make enough to keep them above the poverty line. Corporations should feel a moral obligation to give something back to the workers in exchange for their hard work and pay them decent enough wages to be able to get by.

I agree that if someone is too lazy to get a job, and has no disability preventing them from working, they don't deserve our support. I don't support welfare except as a temporary helping hand for those who are in a situation that is not at all permanent in nature.

I'm talking about the working poor.

What is wrong with these people? How are they ignorant?
raggage

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 07:10:21 PM »

The majority of those who live in broke down poor inner cities are black. Its usually about 70-80%. YOU GO TO BALTIMORE CITY AND WHO ME ALL THESE WHITE PEOPLE LIVING IN THE GHETTO, OK? Get a clue. Just because you can't accept that fact does NOT make it racist.

Perhaps so, but the way you phrased that earlier post made it sound like the reason that the cities were suffering detrimental effects and 'ghetto culture' is because whites are leaving/are not there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 07:20:58 AM »

Well, in a sense that's true...
"White Flight", which exists elsewhere but is nowhere as bad as in the US, is a prime cause of the ghetto.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 07:37:59 AM »

"White Flight", which exists elsewhere but is nowhere as bad as in the US, is a prime cause of the ghetto.

In France they have an interesting variation: build hideous ghetto's just outside City Limits
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 07:51:15 AM »

In France they have an interesting variation: build hideous ghetto's just outside City Limits
Yes, but most of these places were first populated by Whites. Often forcibly moved out there in the 60's from inner city Paris slums earmarked for destruction...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2004, 07:55:47 AM »

Yes, but most of these places were first populated by Whites. Often forcibly moved out there in the 60's from inner city Paris slums earmarked for destruction...

The French take the concept of an uncaring bureaucracy to a whole new level sometimes...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2004, 10:37:23 PM »

This is preferable - the well off get to live in convenient areas.  In America one's reward for making more money is spending more time in the prison of the automobile.  In general.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 09:20:51 AM »

This is preferable - the well off get to live in convenient areas.  In America one's reward for making more money is spending more time in the prison of the automobile.  In general.
I kind of knew you'd say that...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 11:01:25 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2004, 11:22:27 PM by J. J. »

I took a walk around my "ghetto" neighborhood today.  I passed three beautiful wall murals, made by Philadelphia artists, usually local.  I turned on my 95% Black block and saw the homes of 3 families that run their own small business (day care, auto body repair, and wedding planner/dress maker).

I did take a neighbor to the local welfare office.  He was trying to get there himself, but was having trouble getting his wheelchair up the street.  It was his first time there; he'd just blown the cartilage (sp) out in his right leg.  He can't work right now.  BTW, his paperwork was all in order.

At the post office, I ran into an old friend, also African American, who holds down a full time civil service job, and sells real estate, which she did for years while taking care of her terminally ill father (he's since passed).

Is this the "Ghetto Culture" to which you are referring? 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies