Impressive county swings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:47:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Impressive county swings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Impressive county swings  (Read 5351 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: November 05, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
« edited: November 05, 2008, 05:39:26 PM by Beef »

Since this seems to be the thread...

Tippecanoe, Indiana
2004: 59-40 Bush
2008: 55-44 Obama

That is a swing, folks.  No natural disaster, no demographic changes to speak of.  Purdue University is fairly conservative as large state schools go.  Parents send them there as an alternative to the Pinko IU.  But the kids were liberal enough and motivated enough to make a huge impact.

Floyd County, Kentucky
2004: 63-36 Kerry
2008: 53-45 McCain

Even bigger... I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and find a reason other than race that that happened.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

xfactor

Take a look at some of those rural Wisconsin Counties.

Richland County 24% more Democratic.
Waupaca County 22% more Democratic
Outagamie County 22% more Democratic
Waushara County 20% more Democratic

I'm originally from Waupaca County and am in total shock at how McCain was absolutely obliterated in the traditionally GOP rural Wisconsin counties.  After all Northern Wisconsin was one of the mentioned 'pro-America areas of America'.  I have no explanation for the shift.  Will see family from there this weekend and will definitely try to get an idea of what went on.

Let me know what they say.  My theory, being from the area and intimately familiar with it:

These are socially conservative Lutherans, Catholics, and Evangelicals.  Though they have very strong "pro-family" and "pro-life" views, they are really very progressive and open-minded when it comes to non-wedge issues.  There isn't a racist to be found among them, though interracial marriage does make some of the older folks uncomfortable. 

There was a widespread belief that Bush had failed the country, and McCain couldn't be allowed to continue the nation down that same path.  War and the economy are probably the two biggest issues involved, and a sense that we are in a national emergency, therefore justifying electing a Democrat who might not have social views they agree with.

Richland might also be an outgrowth of the "Madison tentacles" I see extending into the southwest part of the state.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2008, 05:02:59 PM by Beef »

I do believe that you are onto something here.  In rural Wisconsin traditional churches such as Lutherans and Catholics still reign supreme.  The mega-church, Mc-church or whatever you want to call it hasn't caught on.

I guarantee you know people who go to Calvary Bible Church Neenah, Appleton Alliance, or even Christ the Rock in Menasha.  The megachurches are catching on everywhere; it's just that Clintonville, New London, and Waupaca are too small to support 'em.  People from those communities also go to Fox River Mall to do their shopping, which is just minutes from either Alliance or Calvary.

In fact, I'd be willing to venture that there is an undercurrent of backlash from many people in these areas against the whole 'Christian Conservative/Christian Coalition' movement.  While indeed there are strong 'pro-family' and 'pro-life' values, people tend to be more Libertarian leaning in that your religion is your business and they do not like being told what they should and should not believe.  Wedge issues tend to sell alot less here than in many other parts of the country.

The big box churches keep siphoning off parishioners from the Catholic and Lutheran churches, so they are very unhappy about that.  It's especially a sore issue among Catholics, because these people are converting to Protestantism.  Also, as the conservative members go to the big boxes, the remnants get more and more liberal.  All of that will lead to backlash in the local churches, but not in the population as a whole.

I think this was a rebuke of Bush more than anything else.

You are probably right on this.  Exurban Madison voted very Democratic, while exurban Milwaukee appears to have been the only GOP stronghold in the state--although all of exurban Milwaukee trended Democratic as well.

Did it actually trend Democratic or just swing Democratic?  I haven't run the numbers.  A Democratic trend in Waukesha, Washington, and Ozaukee would be a significant event.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »

New London and Waupaca are easier commutes to the Valley for workers too.   

Especially with the new US-10 freeway.  I think that cut off like 15 minutes from the trip.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »

Yeah, candidates are reversed.  Still impressive, but no way a federal Democrat wins Hancock County.

Yeah, I've been living in Hoosierland enough to attest to that Smiley.  No way a local Democrat wins there either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies