Obama now winning California by 25 points while Prop 8 probably passed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama now winning California by 25 points while Prop 8 probably passed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama now winning California by 25 points while Prop 8 probably passed  (Read 3761 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: November 05, 2008, 06:08:08 AM »

Wow, I didn't expect that it would be this much. Of course we still have millions of votes to count, so it could change a fair amount

Obama 61.5
McCain 36.7
Nader 0.8
Barr 0.5
Keyes 0.3
McKinney 0.2

But Prop. 8 is still leading by 3.6 points.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »

A case of be careful what you wish for.  For my general and anecdotal experience, blacks and Hispanics are much more homophobic than your typical white voter-  especially true in Cali.  
Increased Obama turnout helped.  

Part of the problem was that the no campaign was rather lousy, I don't know if they did much in miniority areas. Meanwhile the yes side made it seem like Obama supported Prop. 8 by running robocalls and the like (I got one) using Obama's words on gay marriage. Obama opposed Prop. 8.

Anyways, it it kind of crazy that a vote of 50.00000001% with whatever turnout that election can amend the Constitution.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »

Would've been nice if Barack would've cut an ad backing "No" in the final week of the campaign. I imagine that would've been enough to defeat this bigotry. Of course, Barack doesn't give two shits about gay rights; it's not good for his image.

Honestly, I don't like Obama's positions on a lot of issues, but I think being anti Prop 8, in favor of repealing DOMA, against a federal amendment, but also anti gay marriage is the best position anyone who wanted to win a Presidential election this year could have had. I don't fault Obama.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »

San Benito County preserves its status as the state's bellwether.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:23:09 AM »

Honestly, I don't like Obama's positions on a lot of issues, but I think being anti Prop 8, in favor of repealing DOMA, against a federal amendment, but also anti gay marriage is the best position anyone who wanted to win a Presidential election this year could have had. I don't fault Obama.

Glad to see he's basing his opinions on the polls. This is one area where he should've been in the final week when he was basically assured of winning the election. He obviously has sway over blacks and it was obvious they were going to matter in California. It's a failure of leadership in my opinion.

Well, I was thinking in general, but true, Obama could have done more at the end.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies