The OC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The OC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The OC  (Read 6531 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »

Current tally in Orange County, CA is 51-47 McCain.  That's amazing.

Meanwhile, Obama won SLO County.  Not surprising, but significant nonetheless.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »

It's pretty depressing that Obama almost won my county.  Oh well...

Also, it's all Torie's fault. Angry Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »

My precinct in Laguna Niguel was 329 McCain, 324 Obama. In 2004 it went 60%-61% for Bush. Prop 8 went down 338-315. Congressman Campbell won 351-239. Obviously, McCain suffered a huge erosion in the secular GOP carriage trade vote, you know, like yours truly. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »

I noticed that turnout was way down in the OC. They cast over 1,000,000 votes in 2004 and only 830,000 in 2008. I have a cousin who lives there and works in LA and he said many of the Republicans left the polls after Ohio was called for Obama.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »

I noticed that turnout was way down in the OC. They cast over 1,000,000 votes in 2004 and only 830,000 in 2008. I have a cousin who lives there and works in LA and he said many of the Republicans left the polls after Ohio was called for Obama.

I really don't get that phenomenon.  It's not like McCain had any realistic chance of winning California anyway.  And there were important initiatives on the ballot.  (BTW - what is that redistricting initiative that is barely winning about?)

Has California even started counting absentees yet?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »

I really don't get that phenomenon.  It's not like McCain had any realistic chance of winning California anyway.  And there were important initiatives on the ballot.  (BTW - what is that redistricting initiative that is barely winning about?)

Has California even started counting absentees yet?

I don't know, but I don't know how to explain the turnout decrease otherwise. Almost 200,000 less people turned out. It might explain why Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico were so lopsided. I don't blame them, though. My heart sunk when they called Ohio that early.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »

Urgh, urgh, urgh, urgh, urgh.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »

There are 239,516 ballots left to count in OC. All the provisional votes, and ballots received by the registrar of voters office in within less than say 6 days before the election have not yet had the signatures and address on the envelop verified, which needs to be done by hand, one by one, before they can be counted, and that takes time. It is about a two week process. Each business day, the registrar updates the totals. In California as a whole there are probably about 2,500,000 votes left to count.  Gore got the majority of his 500,000 vote margin in 2000 over Bush due to Calif absentee and provisional ballots counted after election day.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:19:42 PM »

There are 239,516 ballots left to count in OC. All the provisional votes, and ballots received by the registrar of voters office in within less than say 6 days before the election have not yet had the signatures and address on the envelop verified, which needs to be done by hand, one by one, before they can be counted, and that takes time. It is about a two week process. Each business day, the registrar updates the totals. In California as a whole there are probably about 2,500,000 votes left to count.  Gore got the majority of his 500,000 vote margin in 2000 over Bush due to Calif absentee and provisional ballots counted after election day.

So does this help Mccain or Obama or should the margin stay about the same?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »

Absentees, especially later ones, tend to help Republicans in most states.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:36:16 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2008, 12:38:02 AM by Torie »

Well they are late ballots, but otherwise the same. There may have been some swing to Obama in Calif which might make the late ballots more Dem than earlier absentees, but not of course same day votes. Absentees are not more GOP anymore. Those days are gone.  Obama carried CA-48 by a narrow margin. McCain carried the south cities by about 4%, including mine, but was slaughtered in Irvine, and of course Laguna Beach. One in five voters voted for Campbell and Obama, including of course moi.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 12:38:55 AM »

Absentees, especially later ones, tend to help Republicans in most states.

Not in California. At least not in 2000 when I watched them fatten Gore's PV margin.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:14:46 AM »

Well they are late ballots, but otherwise the same. There may have been some swing to Obama in Calif which might make the late ballots more Dem than earlier absentees, but not of course same day votes. Absentees are not more GOP anymore. Those days are gone.  Obama carried CA-48 by a narrow margin. McCain carried the south cities by about 4%, including mine, but was slaughtered in Irvine, and of course Laguna Beach. One in five voters voted for Campbell and Obama, including of course moi.

Ugh, that's really tough to hear.  I thought my vote would actually count. Sad

I still think it's because of those damn networks calling Ohio really early.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 02:16:58 AM »

I'm just going by what my cousin said. It's just anecdotal evidence, of course. I am still puzzled as to why they called it so early, as it really wasn't a blowout there. That probably contributed to low GOP turnout in Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »

I'm just going by what my cousin said. It's just anecdotal evidence, of course. I am still puzzled as to why they called it so early, as it really wasn't a blowout there. That probably contributed to low GOP turnout in Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico.

Obama was ahead and the remaining areas were largely Democratic. His margin did indeed increase after it was called.

Highly doubt it had much effect on turnout, as people who would be apathetic enough to decide not to vote because of something like this would likely not have been knowledgeable enough to know that the loss of Ohio blocked McCain's last realistic chance of victory. These types of folks need to be told straight out that Obama has won, which didn't happen until the polls were closed on the West Coast.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 02:44:58 AM »

Most interesting was CA-44. Did Obama win the district? Calvert came perilously close to losing. I think the bulk of the population of the district is actually in Riverside County, but the demographics are pretty similar to the OC. Same is true of CA-50 down in San Diego County.

The early call of Ohio is unlikely to have made much difference in Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico as it was called only about half an hour before polls closed in those states. It probably had a greater effect on the West Coast (although of course Oregon would have been unaffected due to 100% postal voting and exhibited a similar swing to the others).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »

Where are you getting this info from? Can you let me know what some city results are, like Irvine, Santa Ana, Newport Beach.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

Here is a nice little interactive map of OC, sbane.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »

I had a feeling Anaheim might go Obama.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »

Wow thanks a lot. The precinct map is even better, the sea of blue that is the center of OC is very soothing to the eye. Now that we have you guys fragmented, annihilation is inevitable. Tongue  I can't wait to find out what the UCI precinct voted like or my precinct where I live. It must be some insane margins.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »

Wow thanks a lot. The precinct map is even better, the sea of blue that is the center of OC is very soothing to the eye. Now that we have you guys fragmented, annihilation is inevitable. Tongue  I can't wait to find out what the UCI precinct voted like or my precinct where I live. It must be some insane margins.

Hey, I voted for Obama! I'm the swing baby. I only want to kick you in the nuts a couple of times a week - not everyday. All things in moderation is my motto.

Moving right along, the map is wrong, because I know my precinct went to McCain by 4 votes (along the western edge of Laguna Niguel at about the midpoint right next to Aliso Creek park or whatever it is called, and its blue, and that ain't true!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:29 PM »

Hey, I voted for Obama! I'm the swing baby. I only want to kick you in the nuts a couple of times a week - not everyday. All things in moderation is my motto.

Moving right along, the map is wrong, because I know my precinct went to McCain by 4 votes (along the western edge of Laguna Niguel at about the midpoint right next to Aliso Creek park or whatever it is called, and its blue, and that ain't true!

Well maybe they are factoring in some uncounted absentees/early votes? Or maybe they aren't. But anyways how do you know the results by CD? Can you let me know how he did in the OC districts and the 11th? Or do you only have our CD numbers?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2008, 10:06:33 PM by Torie »

Well maybe they are factoring in some uncounted absentees/early votes? Or maybe they aren't. But anyways how do you know the results by CD? Can you let me know how he did in the OC districts and the 11th? Or do you only have our CD numbers?

Go to page 47.  Mr precinct 58317 now has a McCain lead of 12 votes by the way. It is getting bigger and bigger!  Tongue  Punch here to find your precinct.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 02:46:05 AM »

Go to page 47.  Mr precinct 58317 now has a McCain lead of 12 votes by the way. It is getting bigger and bigger!  Tongue  Punch here to find your precinct.

Looking at the city results for president and prop 8, I have to say the FF award of the election goes to Aliso Viejo. I would expect it to at least vote yes on 8 but maybe there is something I am not seeing here. Maybe some gays moving over from Laguna Beach. South OC overall was more tolerant than north OC, but that was to be expected. I think this issue really divides the liberals from the conservatives or how I expect the future battlegrounds to be formed. Maybe Santa Ana will vote with Villa park while Irvine, Newport beach and Laguna vote the other way.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 03:38:34 AM »

Here's a map from 2004:

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: