Bobby Jindal - what's the big deal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:49:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Bobby Jindal - what's the big deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bobby Jindal - what's the big deal?  (Read 8306 times)
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »

I am all for Bobby Jindal, but 2012 is NOT his year. If the Republican party wants to claim the party of reform, they need to pick people that have a longer record of reform. If Sarah Palin had been elected in 2002 as governor, and then re-elected in 2006, she would have been more credible.

I think Obama will get re-elected. He may lose a couple states he won less than 1% like Indiana, North Carolina, just because Bush will have been removed from the public for four years. 2008 was a referendum on Bush's 8 years. Or Obama could prove to be a Democratic version of Reagan and expand his electoral lead to include MO, AZ, MT, ND, SD, GA...who knows. He seems to have a very strong base.

Either way, Jindal would have more credibilty with me if he did eight years as governor, ran in 2016...Even then, he'd only be 45! And if he runs in 2016 and comes up short, he could very well be the frontrunner in 2020 at age 49, and by then if the Republicans haven't already won the White House, they would likely win it that year. IIRC Reagan wasn't holding office from 1976-1980.

Forgive me for going off on a tangent for a bit, Why isn't anyone talking about Tim Pawlenty for 2012?? governor, re-elected (albeit barely), but nevertheless hung on in a very blue state. He's young, conservative, and no Bush-connection, and has a 55% approval rating. He's doing something right and the Republican party needs to acknowledge blue-state Republicans.

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 11:16:12 PM »

Well, to be fair, are there any other young people in the GOP who are inspiring?  Sure Jindal has his race, but his background story is almost as interesting as Obama's, he has a good resume, and he speaks quite well.  Palin, in retrospect, looked good on paper but in reality she's not all who she's cracked up to be.

Is there anyone else young in the GOP?  Paul Ryan?  Cantor?  Pawlenty?

I really like Mike Pence.  He almost became Minority Leader in '06.  He should be Leader now, but he's running for the House Republican Conference chair instead.  I like Boehner, but I think it would be good for him to step down.  Adam Putnam was getting a lot of buzz, but he's pissed off a few people and is rightfully stepping down from the Conference chair. 

Paul Ryan is impressive, but hasn't really stepped to the fore yet.  I would like to see him run for Governer of WI in 2010.  But he's the ranking Republican member of the budget committee, which is kind of his passion (he's an economist) so he might be happy where he is. 

Cantor will be House Whip this coming Congress, which is ideal for him.  He will inevitably be Leader and hopefully Speaker. 

Jeb Hensarling I think wants Hutchison's Senate seat, but could have to fend off Chet Edwards. 

I like John Shadegg but he's older.  I think he would take McCain's seat should he retire.  But he himself has flirted with retirement, so it could go to Jeff Flake.

Aside from Jindal, the only governors that really impress me are Mitch Daniels and maybe Mike Rounds, but they're older. 

The Senate is a wasteland to me, besides probably Jon Kyl, but he's a geezer.
Wall St. Wiz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 12:35:55 AM »

Auburntiger, I don't understand the concern over Jindal's resume and "credibility".  Have you actually looked at his resume? Did you see who just got elected? Jindal's resume is far, far superior to our president-elect.  I actually think he could be president today.

By 2012 he'll be in his second term as governor.  That combined with his experience would make him a great candidate.  It will depend on how strong Obama looks.

Between Jindal, Pence, Cantor, Thune, Ryan, and some others, the GOP has some great young leaders.  Before this year I would have put Palin there, but I fear that she has been harmed beyond repair now.

auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 01:37:04 AM »

Auburntiger, I don't understand the concern over Jindal's resume and "credibility".  Have you actually looked at his resume? Did you see who just got elected? Jindal's resume is far, far superior to our president-elect.  I actually think he could be president today.

By 2012 he'll be in his second term as governor.  That combined with his experience would make him a great candidate.  It will depend on how strong Obama looks.

Between Jindal, Pence, Cantor, Thune, Ryan, and some others, the GOP has some great young leaders.  Before this year I would have put Palin there, but I fear that she has been harmed beyond repair now.

Yes I have and I completely agree with you that he COULD be president now. My concern is the same as yours in fact Obama may be "unbeatable" and by that I mean having a base that's just enough to get him in for a second term + more possibly.

I would like him to focus on what he's doing now, transforming the state of Louisiana. He once said on Jay Leno ...and I paraphrase that he's not interested in running for the Veep stakes, because he's got a job to do in Louisiana. I, and alot of other republicans, would like to see him follow that.

Right now from what I can see, we are in a disarray. How long that will last, I have no idea. Like I've said, we're bound to win the WH in at most 12 years. And unless you're FDR, Abraham Lincoln, and Ronald Reagan all in one, I say it's near impossible to hold on for sixteen years.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »

Why are people talking about him as if he's the saviour of the GOP - the republican Obama if you will. I'm not sold on this guy yet. From what I've seen he seems articulate and intelligent, but many politicans are articulate and intelligent. What's so special about him other than his age?

He's South Asian.

Yes, but he's a) Republican, and b) Catholic.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

The fact that he has a southern accent could help with the stereotypical racist primary voters.  It's not like his speeches sound like Apu from The Simpsons.

Now I want to see Apu as President.

during the OJ trial, a lot of comedians did impressions of Judge Lance Ito with an extremely stereotypical, thick Japanese accent saying things like "Me so sorry preese" despite the fact that Ito was born and grew up in California, had no Japanese accent, and could pronounce the letter L perfectly well.
Wall St. Wiz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »

I'm watching him on Greta right now, and just saw Palin on Larry King.  There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever.  McCain should have really picked him.

It's not a question of if he'll be president, but when.

Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »

Are you clowns serious? Bobby Jindal? The guy who said he saw his friend being attacked by a demon? A.... demon..... Well, if this is the direction you want to take the GOP in...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

I would be extremely embarrassed if he were to become the first Indian American president, mostly because of his extreme social views. I wish him luck in fixing up LA and I have to say he seems like a genuine guy. He could be a great president as well, only if he doesn't act on his extreme social conservative positions.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07:54 AM »

Jindal has some actual potential to be a "movement" candidate like Palin except that Jindal appears to have significant managerial/organizational competence.

I don't think he could beat Obama -- doubling down on your own minority isn't really a great way to defeat Obama, but it'd be good for the GOP.  I mean, it'll seem like the GOP just went for it's own minority just to defeat Obama rather than for his own, rather respectable, merits.

I kind of expect Jindal to be a '16 type of guy or even '20.  Jindal has a large window, unlike 99% of the people mentioned.

I agree with Boss Tweed, Jindal's the real deal.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »

Jindal has talent, but I'm not quite sure it's Presidential talent. 

But alas, I really don't know very much about politics.  Most folks would think I'm an idiot for observing that Palin has the most natural media savvy of any Republican in quite a while.

Whatever.  Jindal's direction or Palin's direction (both of which are similar directions) is where the GOP is likely headed.  Could even turn out to be the right place in four years, depending on what happens to the economy.  Lot of water under the bridge...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 01:32:36 AM »

In many ways, Jindal is like the Republicans Obama. He's brown and a far-right guy like Obama was brown and a far-left guy. Of course, Jindal won't be able to pretend to be a centrist because the media simply won't allow it. In any event, I doubt I'd support him in a primary, but if it comes down to him and Palin, I'd definitely vote for Bobby. My best friend, who's Indian, is really excited at the prospect of him running.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

I don't think he could beat Obama -- doubling down on your own minority isn't really a great way to defeat Obama, but it'd be good for the GOP.  I mean, it'll seem like the GOP just went for it's own minority just to defeat Obama rather than for his own, rather respectable, merits.

co-sign
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »

Picking someone as VP can be seen as pandering...

Picking someone as your nominee in a Democratic process against a likely host of qualified candidates isn't.

The sad thing is, Jindal may be making his bid now because he thinks 2012 is his only chance...by 2016, he'd be facing a white Democrat and might have serious problems in the South (yes, he won in LA, but look at his 2003 performance).

That said, I really don't like Jindal politically, and I hope he doesn't win the nomination.  That said, better him than Palin or Huckabee.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 07:16:33 PM »

Why are people looking at Jindal like he's the messiah?

He's a politician from Louisiana who appears, at least from a first glance, competent and, by politician standards, not overly corrupt. That's about as rare as an honest and apparently not-very-corrupt politician from Chicago... hmm.....

He's definitely to the right, he's apparently competent and sincere, and he's a youngish South Asian Catholic from Louisiana, making him a friendly minority compared to the 'Republican stereotype of an older white protestant. In 2012, he will have been governor of Louisiana for 5 years and, before then, a congressman - all in all, more experienced than Obama is now, more "big screen" experience than Palin had in '08,  .

Yes, he's a very devout and conservative Catholic, complete with the exorcism story. He may be too populist for my tastes, I don't know enough about his specific policy positions. But, neither party has exactly had perfect candidates in recent years. This time around, an unseasoned empty suit with an old but mostly unelectable veep defeated a decrepit old warhorse and a complete newbie to the national scene, with the warhorse being the prosed successor of a man of questionable competence, who himself defeated a Frankenstein look-alike and had a tight race against a bamboo shoot*. We haven't exactly been running the shining stars of humanity in recent years.

*Can bend, but overall is essentially wood. Is kind of greenish. Liked by pandas. Is a tube, and thus can take the initiative on a series of tubes.   
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:13 AM »

Jindal would inspire me to work for Obama in a way that McCain never did. Jindal is a religious freak.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »

Jindal would inspire me to work for Obama in a way that McCain never did. Jindal is a religious freak.

Why do you consider him a religious freak?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »

Why do you consider him a religious freak?

Probably because he believe in God.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 01:25:01 AM »

Jindal says he's a Christian, but I don't believe him. He could be a Hindu plant; maybe even a secret terrorist.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »

Jindal says he's a Christian, but I don't believe him. He could be a Hindu plant; maybe even a secret terrorist.

The fact that he's a Catholic is problematic enough in certain areas of the South.  You don't even need to make stuff up.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »

Jindal is a very competent administrator and a very intelligent man.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:38 AM »

The fact that he has a southern accent could help with the stereotypical racist primary voters

In the future lay off the lutefisk.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2008, 10:27:44 AM »

The fact that he's a Catholic is problematic enough in certain areas of the South.  You don't even need to make stuff up.

The Vatican Effect?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies