Counties that voted for McCain more than Bush (2004)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:52:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Counties that voted for McCain more than Bush (2004)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Counties that voted for McCain more than Bush (2004)  (Read 5764 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:41:23 AM »

What does this tell you?  It tells me Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, large parts of Texas and central Appalachia are surprisingly more racist than Mississippi and Alabama.  I'll give Tennessee a pass because of Kerry and Arizona/Alaska a pass because of McCain/Palin.  Southern Georgia and the Florida Panhandle don't look too good either. 

What's the deal with that odd county in Colorado?

Am I reading too much into this?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:54:20 AM »

On the other hand, according to this page, Alabama whites voted for Kerry 47% more than Obama and Mississippi 21% more whereas the national average was to vote for Obama 5% more.  The map below shows the states where the whites voted for Obama 15% more than Kerry (blue) and 15% less (red).

So maybe AL and MS are just as bad.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:05:52 AM »

I'll field this one dead0.

It's small (slightly less than 6000 people) and has an odd racial make up.  From wiki:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

What does this tell you?  It tells me Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, large parts of Texas and central Appalachia are surprisingly more racist than Mississippi and Alabama.  I'll give Tennessee a pass because of Kerry and Arizona/Alaska a pass because of McCain/Palin.  Southern Georgia and the Florida Panhandle don't look too good either. 

Maybe GOPness was maxed out in 2004.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »

I'll give Tennessee a pass because of Kerry

What?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

On the other hand, according to this page, Alabama whites voted for Kerry 47% more than Obama and Mississippi 21% more whereas the national average was to vote for Obama 5% more.  The map below shows the states where the whites voted for Obama 15% more than Kerry (blue) and 15% less (red).

AL and MS have more blacks, which Obama was able to turn out at a higher rate, which offset any loss in the white vote.

As for the map, outside of Mass. and Ariz., which of these counties have sizeable populations--possibly some in western PA and some in TN.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »

What does this tell you?  It tells me Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, large parts of Texas and central Appalachia are surprisingly more racist than Mississippi and Alabama.

No it means they don't have enough blacks to generate enough new voters to cancel out the racists.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »

AL and MS have more blacks, which Obama was able to turn out at a higher rate, which offset any loss in the white vote.

As for the map, outside of Mass. and Ariz., which of these counties have sizeable populations--possibly some in western PA and some in TN.

Why would South Carolina whites vote for Obama at a much higher rate than Alabama or Mississippi whites?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't thinking clearly(must have subconsciously confused Kerry/Gore).  Tennessee sucks too.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »

Why would South Carolina whites vote for Obama at a much higher rate than Alabama or Mississippi whites?
New white people from other, non-racists parts of the country actually move to South Carolina occasionally.  Nobody in their right mind, black, white or other, would voluntarily move to Mississippi or Alabama.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »

SC actually has some non-redneck areas.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 12:30:44 AM »

Parts of the Deep South had high black-turn out cancel out or even override white movement to McCain. Furthermore, Bush did so well among whites in that area there was only so much room for improvement. Bush got 85% of whites in Mississippi, for example.

Arkansans were probably a little upset with Obama taking down the Clintons, though I'm sure race was a major factor as well.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:25:07 AM »

The same trend that's taking place in VA and NC but weaker.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 06:47:43 AM »

Where are the good ol' boys?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2008, 10:04:12 AM by phknrocket1k »

Gore was from Tennessee not Kerry.

I thought Tenn couldn't really go much further GOP after 2004, but Kerry voters must have jumped ship.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »

I'll field this one dead0.

It's small (slightly less than 6000 people) and has an odd racial make up.  From wiki:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Why is that an odd racial makeup?

BTW, you appear to have got the wrong election data from Saguache county in your table.   The odd thing about the county is that the name is spelled Sawatch when applied to a mountain range.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »

It was racist for whites in other states to vote more strongly for Obama than Kerry.

In the areas of the south, that went stronger for McCain, there would likely be more ethnic identity with McCain, who would also be respected for his military service.   They would also have responded to Obama's attacks on their religious and social beliefs.  In the case of Arkansas there would be a reaction to Obama's attacks on Clinton during the primary campaign - and perhaps a gradual realization that the Clinton's have moved to New York.  In Tennessee, there would be a reaction to the Democrat party's underhanded tactics in removing Rosalind Kurita from the ballot after the people had nominated her in the primary.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 12:18:28 AM »

Classic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 02:05:42 AM »

A lot of the Louisiana parishes are attributable to Katrina causing more Democrats to leave the state than Republicans.

Not really. That was just a small portion of the parishes in the state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies