2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:21:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 317452 times)
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: January 19, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

Unless you're gay. Or a teacher. Or a woman.

Or poor
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1901 on: January 19, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »

This guy should have pretty hilarious approvals a year from now.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1902 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »

I'm sorry. I just hate corruption, I sympathize with your concerns.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1903 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »

Corzine was many negative things, but he was not corrupt. At least, not any more than Christie. People seem to have difficulty understanding that the NJ Dems and GOP are equally extremely steeped in corruption, and one does not have credentials over the other. Corzine, as a political outsider, had some ability to fight corruption, although limited by the strength of the Democratic machine (and would have been equally limited by the Republicans had they controlled the legislature during his tenure). That he was not corrupt should be blatantly obvious from his choice of Loretta Weinberg as LG candidate, the foremost anti-corruption politician in NJ.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1904 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »

Corzine was many negative things, but he was not corrupt. At least, not any more than Christie. People seem to have difficulty understanding that the NJ Dems and GOP are equally extremely steeped in corruption, and one does not have credentials over the other. Corzine, as a political outsider, had some ability to fight corruption, although limited by the strength of the Democratic machine (and would have been equally limited by the Republicans had they controlled the legislature during his tenure). That he was not corrupt should be blatantly obvious from his choice of Loretta Weinberg as LG candidate, the foremost anti-corruption politician in NJ.

True, but I just think Chris Christie is an outsider who can (hopefully) fix things. He'll probably have low approvals soon, though. Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1905 on: January 19, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »

Yup. Safe Cory Booker in 2013.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1906 on: January 19, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »

Yeah.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1907 on: January 19, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »

That he was not corrupt should be blatantly obvious from his choice of Loretta Weinberg as LG candidate, the foremost anti-corruption politician in NJ.

Corzine did that just to get more votes. I don't think he had any special affinity for Weinberg.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1908 on: March 03, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »

Two months down, ten to go:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which is no small feat, considering he's already dropped a few controversial budgetary bombshells.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1909 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »

Nope.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1910 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »

Which is no small feat, considering he's already dropped a few controversial budgetary bombshells.

Its the fact that he is take a strong position early and for the right reasons. In this environment we might see some traditionally expected patterns to change. Another thing is instead of getting rewarded for bringing home the bacon pols are getting hammered. Far too early but it will be interesting to follow.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1911 on: March 07, 2010, 01:29:51 AM »

Ten lifetimes in politics. Tongue
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1912 on: March 30, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »

"Gov. Chris Christie’s voter approval slipped noticeably from earlier in the month, but he remains ahead, 43% approving to 32% disapproving of the job he’s doing, according to the most recent poll by Fairleigh Dickinson University’s PublicMind™. The governor started March with a 52%-21% approval rating before making dramatic announcements of cuts to the state budget. Better than two-thirds of Republicans approve of the job he’s doing, and independents approve by 49%-19%, while Democrats disapprove by 45%-23%. The governor runs ahead in non-public-employee households by 44%-28% and runs behind in public-employee households 37%-49%."

http://publicmind.fdu.edu/slips/

I am stunned right now that he has a positive approval after that budget.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1913 on: March 30, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »

Wow, sinking even faster than I thought...
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1914 on: March 30, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »

You thought he'd be able to hold on to 52%-21% for an appreciable length of time?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1915 on: April 04, 2010, 04:25:34 PM »

You thought he'd be able to hold on to 52%-21% for an appreciable length of time?

Don't be sad because you are now realizing that he is going to have pretty awful approvals less than a year from now. Sad
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1916 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »

Uh...the expectations were much worse.  Do you really think after revealing that budget any Governor in the country would have approvals as high as Christie?

No.  Cory Booker is NOT running for Governor.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1917 on: April 05, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »

Uh...the expectations were much worse.  Do you really think after revealing that budget any Governor in the country would have approvals as high as Christie?

What makes you think he's not?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1918 on: April 05, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »

Him.  Not only has he declined he has interest in running in specific races, he has made it abundantly clear that his dedication is to Newark and not politics.  He's not a politician looking to further his career.  All he's interested in doing is fixing Newark.  He's been very supportive of Christie, refused opportunities for higher office already, and is facing difficult reelection as it is.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1919 on: April 05, 2010, 09:52:01 AM »

The fact that Booker's biggest backer is behind Christie right now is a good tip off. Part of the reason why he won is that he's in surprisingly well with the Newark machine. (Hint: It's the support of school choice.)

But never say never. If Christie looks especially vulnerable and/or pisses off the Newark machine, Booker might run. If Christie doesn't, Booker can just stay as mayor. No pressure.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1920 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »

Him.  Not only has he declined he has interest in running in specific races, he has made it abundantly clear that his dedication is to Newark and not politics.  He's not a politician looking to further his career.  All he's interested in doing is fixing Newark.  He's been very supportive of Christie, refused opportunities for higher office already, and is facing difficult reelection as it is.

Really? I hadn't heard this. What's the issue? I'm hardly an expert on NJ politics but most of the (national) media narrative is he's supposedly been quite successful.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1921 on: April 05, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

Really? I hadn't heard this. What's the issue? I'm hardly an expert on NJ politics but most of the (national) media narrative is he's supposedly been quite successful.

There are certainly factions of the Democratic Party who never liked Booker (too white!) and never will, but they shouldn't amount to much. Make no mistake, Booker is a heavy favorite to win re-election.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1922 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »

There are certainly factions of the Democratic Party who never liked Booker (too white!) and never will, but they shouldn't amount to much. Make no mistake, Booker is a heavy favorite to win re-election.

Yeah, exactly.  He's going to win, his team is just worried that he won't have his perfect council and won't win 70+% again, thus damaging his rising star status.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1923 on: April 09, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »

State aid cuts, threat of N.J. property tax hikes send Christie's popularity plummeting

As he himself predicted, Gov. Chris Christie's proposed budget with its $1.4 billion reduction in municipal, school and college aid and resulting $250 average property tax hike, has not won him many friends, according to a new Rutgers-Eagleton Poll.

The result: A 12-point drop in popularity from 45 percent of New Jerseyans in February to 33 percent following his March 16 budget address.

During the same period, unfavorable impressions rose from 26 percent to 37 percent.

The 12-point drop in one month comes on the heels of a budget proposal that displeases 50 percent of New Jersey residents while pleasing 43 percent.

Even so, Christie is seen much more favorably than either party in state government, where only 26 percent view Democrats and 25 percent see Republicans favorably.

"Three weeks after the budget speech, the impact is starting to sink in," said David Redlawsk, director of the poll and professor of political science at Rutgers. "The results are recognition that the proposed budget cuts are going to hurt and a significant decrease in favorable impressions of Christie."

The poll was conducted from March 31 to Saturday and included 953 New Jersey adults.

Christie is viewed significantly less favorably now than he was when the poll surveyed New Jerseyans in late February, when Christie received a 45 percent favorable to 26 percent unfavorable.

The new poll has him upside down, with 33 percent favorable and 37 percent unfavorable, a swing of 23 percentage points.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/state/state-aid-cuts-threat-of-nj-property-tax-hikes-send-christies-popularity-plummeting
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1924 on: April 09, 2010, 08:00:05 AM »

Rutgers-Eagleton polls have about as much value as a sheet of toilet paper, but still, the numbers sound much more realistic than most. After 16 years of fiscally irresponsible governance, New Jersey is no longer a state that can be run effectively while still maintaining popularity.

(And yes, it pains me to mention above that Florio had some semblance of fiscal responsibility.)
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies