Novack: Newt Gingrich is the frontrunner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Novack: Newt Gingrich is the frontrunner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Novack: Newt Gingrich is the frontrunner?  (Read 1906 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2008/11/newt_in_2012.html

Feel free to post Obama v. Gingrich maps.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »

Great to see Novak well enough to continue writing. Terrible to see him suggesting silly ideas again.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »

And this is being kind to Newt.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »

While I don't think he could win the general election due to character issues, he would serve the party's interest by coherently stating what conservatism is really about and why the country voted overwhelmingly for conservatism some time ago.  Newt is a "big ideas" guy, something the GOP has been devoid of for about ten years, and would at least get the party back on track for gains in the future.  Interesting, but it would almost definitely be a 2012 sacrifice and I don't see it happening.  He's big on Bobby Jindal.  I could see him pressuring Jindal for a run and advising him in 2012.   
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »

While I don't think he could win the general election due to character issues, he would serve the party's interest by coherently stating what conservatism is really about and why the country voted overwhelmingly for conservatism some time ago.  Newt is a "big ideas" guy, something the GOP has been devoid of for about ten years, and would at least get the party back on track for gains in the future.  Interesting, but it would almost definitely be a 2012 sacrifice and I don't see it happening.  He's big on Bobby Jindal.  I could see him pressuring Jindal for a run and advising him in 2012.   

I totally agree.  Newt will anoint his "heir apparent".  Whether or not it will be Piyush Jindal, Mike Pence or someone else is not clear at the moment.  But you're correct -- Newt is very high on Jindal at the moment.  Republicans need someone who IS conservative on social issues, but doesn't make that his or her identity.  Social conservative is already Sarah Palin's identity and she's stuck with it.

Pence and Jindal can downplay those issues (as GWB did in 2000) and hammer away at spending and fiscal concerns.  I'm guessing that would be Newt's advice.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies