Virginia 2009 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:41:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2009 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50
Author Topic: Virginia 2009 Megathread  (Read 170272 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: November 04, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »

I still think Deeds will pull things to the end
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1201 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »

I like Deeds' local favorite son vote in those two northern appalachian counties. (I've only looked at the map Sam posted over in the other thread.)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1202 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »

Also, I predicted the right margin, but for the wrong race. I said 56.5 - 43.5 or thereabouts for Governor... It is, in fact, the margin for Lt. Governor, though.

I had a very similar prediction for Governor.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1203 on: November 04, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 09:37:29 AM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Deeds only won his Senate district by 3 points, based on my calculations:

Albemarle    - 13768 McDonnell / 13568 Deeds
Allegheny - 3188 Deeds / 2017 McDonnell
Bath   - 1159 Deeds / 666 McDonnell
Buckingham - 177 McDonnell / 154 Deeds
Nelson - 2679 McDonnell / 2310 Deeds
Rockbridge - 5991 McDonnell / 1704 Deeds
Buena Vista - 824 McDonnell / 528 Deeds
Charlottesville - 7422 Deeds / 2639 McDonnell
Covington - 979 Deeds / 506 McDonnell

Total - 31012 Deeds / 29267 McDonnell

51.4 - 48.6.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1204 on: November 04, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 12:08:54 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Localities won by Deeds, by general category:

State Senate district: Home field advantage:

Allegheny County - 61.2%
Bath County - 63.5%
Covington - 65.8%

Liberal NoVa:

Arlington County - 65.4%
Alexandria - 62.8%
Falls Church - 64.8%

College towns:

Charlottesville - 73.7%
Fredericksburg - 50.8%
Lexington - 60.5%
Williamsburg - 54.6%

Large African-American presence:

Charles City County - 58.5%
Greensville County - 52.6%
Surry County - 53.6%
Franklin - 51.8%
Hampton - 57.9%
Martinsville - 51.7%
Newport News - 50.3%
Norfolk - 60.0%
Petersburg - 81.0%
Portsmouth - 59.8%
Richmond - 69.1%
Roanoke - 51.9%
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1205 on: November 04, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

As that is much larger, I would rather call this category "Home Sweet Home" or some equivalent term.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Not really that large a one. Half of Deeds' votes would have come from Whites.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1206 on: November 04, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »

I know, Roanoke is more complicated than that, but I'm not sure how else to categorize it. It's also somewhat more liberal than the average small city in otherwise-rural Virginia because of upper-class conservative voters who have moved to the county or to neighboring Salem.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1207 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »

I think it's time to thank JohnnyLongtorso.
He was perhaps our most valuable source of local information in all things Virginia.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1208 on: November 04, 2009, 12:38:41 PM »

Based on the Exit poll:

- party id: Rep: 37 % dem: 33 % I: 30 %

No surprise...

- Obama job approval: 48 %

And not 57 % like wapo poll gave one week ago... it's very similar to the RAS daily track poll.

-full time working woman (28 %): have vote at only 51 % for McDOnnell. Probably the incidence of the thesis...

-16 % black. It's a little more than predicted. And Mc Donnell is weak with them: only 9 % of the vote. I would be curious to see the latino vote but the poll doesn't give this infirmation.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1209 on: November 04, 2009, 12:55:42 PM »

Based on the Exit poll:

No surprise...

And not 57 % like wapo poll gave one week ago... it's very similar to the RAS daily track poll.

-full time working woman (28 %): have vote at only 51 % for McDOnnell. Probably the incidence of the thesis...

-16 % black. It's a little more than predicted. And Mc Donnell is weak with them: only 9 % of the vote. I would be curious to see the latino vote but the poll doesn't give this infirmation.

The Rasmussen tracker is not the poll you want to use.  Rather, it's SUSA which nailed this race to a tee.

That being said, as I noted above, I see probably a couple of points swing to Republicans in Virginia against the national mean.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1210 on: November 04, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »

Mapity-map
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1211 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »

pwned
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1212 on: November 04, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

Based on the Exit poll:

No surprise...

The Rasmussen tracker is not the poll you want to use.  Rather, it's SUSA which nailed this race to a tee.

That being said, as I noted above, I see probably a couple of points swing to Republicans in Virginia against the national mean.

Another point - PPP would have gotten the same result as SUSA, but their weighting was too Democratic.  Understandable.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1213 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »

Based on the Exit poll:

No surprise...

I just wanted to say that the job approval in Virginia matches with the rasmussen tracking poll. (48 % at national  level, 48 % in VA). And so the ras tracking poll is very accurate.

But indeed, survey USA did a very good job. I'm more nuanced with PPP, considering the great variation of the party id of their samples during the campaign. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1214 on: November 04, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »

Based on the Exit poll:

No surprise...

Also worth noting that the reported presidential vote of VA voters yesterday according to that same exit poll was 51-43 McCain. Obviously a lot of Obama voters were not inspired enough by Deeds (imagine that) to come out and vote this year. Anyone assumes those same voters will stay home when Obama is back on the ballot in 2012 does so at their own peril.

Also HIGHLY worth noting is that 1 in 5 McDonnell voters approve of the job Obama is doing, compared to only 1 in 20 Deeds voters who disapprove of the President's job. (The numbers for NJ, FWIW, indicate over 1 in 4 voters who approve of Obama's job performance didn't vote for Corzine.)

One of the most insightful comments I've read on the forum is Spade's note that all 50 governors offices can be considered "open seats" in terms of party competitiveness. Federal races obviously are much, MUCH different in that regard. At the risk of over-extrapolating too much in the other direction of the MSM's common wisdom this morning, I see Owens's upset win in NY-23 as far more indicative of 2010 midterms than 2 governors races (but still admittedly only a tiny glimpse).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1215 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »

It's times like this I wish we had a laughing smiley. I guess this will have to do... Hahahahahaha! Cheesy
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1216 on: November 04, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »

DEEDS WON IN BATH COUNTY
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1217 on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:11 PM »

Absolutely pathetic.  He lost Fairfax, and only managed 38% in Loudon.  Really, really pathetic.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1218 on: November 04, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Absolutely pathetic.  He lost Fairfax, and only managed 38% in Loudon.  Really, really pathetic.

Bad candidate perhaps?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1219 on: November 04, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »

Based on the Exit poll:

No surprise...

Also worth noting that the reported presidential vote of VA voters yesterday according to that same exit poll was 51-43 McCain. Obviously a lot of Obama voters were not inspired enough by Deeds (imagine that) to come out and vote this year. Anyone assumes those same voters will stay home when Obama is back on the ballot in 2012 does so at their own peril.

Also HIGHLY worth noting is that 1 in 5 McDonnell voters approve of the job Obama is doing, compared to only 1 in 20 Deeds voters who disapprove of the President's job. (The numbers for NJ, FWIW, indicate over 1 in 4 voters who approve of Obama's job performance didn't vote for Corzine.)

One of the most insightful comments I've read on the forum is Spade's note that all 50 governors offices can be considered "open seats" in terms of party competitiveness. Federal races obviously are much, MUCH different in that regard. At the risk of over-extrapolating too much in the other direction of the MSM's common wisdom this morning, I see Owens's upset win in NY-23 as far more indicative of 2010 midterms than 2 governors races (but still admittedly only a tiny glimpse).

Be careful in reading too much into who people "say" they voted for.  If they're unhappy (or embarassed), they often lie, especially to exit pollsters (and most pollsters in general).

FWIW, you've stated my point accurately, but let me caution that I do think governor's races are indicative of something when there are serious downballot effects like we saw in VA.  For example, Republicans, according to my maths, destroyed 6 years of gains in one evening in the House of Delegates.

That does say something to me about what may happen in 2010.  But one of the reasons why I said that I didn't see why Republicans were gleeful is because a swing back to 2002/2004-type numbers (or perhaps worse in Appalachia) in the South and Appalachia is simply not enough to take back the House. 

Now, if these swings started showing up in other suburbs outside this area, there might be something. 
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1220 on: November 04, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »

Bad candidate perhaps?

Uh, no shit Sherlock.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1221 on: November 04, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »

I've been figuring out the Deeds/McDonnell numbers for the competitive House districts. The 3rd district went from 53-47 Deeds in 2005 to 68-32 McDonnell this year. No wonder the Democrats didn't try to salvage Bowling's campaign.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1222 on: November 04, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »

It's times like this I wish we had a laughing smiley. I guess this will have to do... Hahahahahaha! Cheesy

Agreed.

By the way, this is the worst result for the Democrats since 1993.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1223 on: November 05, 2009, 04:17:33 AM »

Based on the Exit poll:

No surprise...

vote in 2008 is not a good indicator in my opinion. I prefer largely party id. It's clear for me that the party id in 2010 (2012 is different) will be +- similar to the party id in 2009 and hence, gop will win big in VA..
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1224 on: November 05, 2009, 04:26:36 AM »

Concerning NY 23, Hoffman with the "R" next to his name would have win without problem. And Owens, a blue dog democrat, has won without to get 50 % + (in 2008, Obama won with 52 %.

In ca-10, the win of the dem is so weak compared to 2008 et 2006. 
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies