NBC/WSJ poll: Romney 33% Huckabee 20% Palin 18%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  NBC/WSJ poll: Romney 33% Huckabee 20% Palin 18%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NBC/WSJ poll: Romney 33% Huckabee 20% Palin 18%  (Read 8462 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

I wouldn't underestimate her. it would be the first time a relative of a former president ran against the incumbent in the primary. And also, in the early states, if Hillary could convince most of John Edwards supporters to back her, she would win Iowa and New Hampshire and come close in South Carolina. That could give her enough momentum to be a serious threat for the nomination.

wouldn't?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »

Even "the evil one" isn't evil enough to try and pull that stunt.  Unless Obama totally screws the pooch, but I think he is smarter than that.  (barring any off the wall scenarios)

I wouldn't underestimate her. it would be the first time a relative of a former president ran against the incumbent in the primary. And also, in the early states, if Hillary could convince most of John Edwards supporters to back her, she would win Iowa and New Hampshire and come close in South Carolina. That could give her enough momentum to be a serious threat for the nomination.

Obama got a majority of the vote in South Carolina the first time, and his support will only grow unless he has a bad first term. If he does, I could see him being beatable since he's basically setting himself up for failure.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »

Since this is the second poll to have Romney up and can make a conjecture that Romney is the frontrunner right now but it is very early.

I bet Romney takes it. The GOP has thing for people who lost primaries in the past, unlike us Democrats.

33% is probably Romney's ceiling, lol.  it's all could could muster this time around despite having a monopoly on the money.

Good call.  Huckabee and Palin's supporters are pretty much one in the same, I suspect.  Let's see who else enters.  Jindal?

No Palin's and Hucks people are not one in the same. Many have said that 33% is Romney's ceiling. Whether it is or not I think that a much better arguement can be made that 20% is Huck's ceiling. Huck showed no strengh outside Evangelicals and southern ones at that. He showed no strenght among Western Cosnervatives even Evangelicals out there. While his hold on the South was not absolute as McCain won SC and TX. and Romney probably took a good 20% of the Southern vote(not counting post Romney contests). Palin causes problems for both Mitt and Huck. She takes Western votes from Romney and competes with Huck in the South. Meanwhile this is where timing comes in. Right now people are waiting to see who enters the race. If there is no Rudy or McCain type candidate Romney can lock up the Suburbs and the Northeast

Go Romney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »

I bet Romney takes it. The GOP has thing for people who lost primaries in the past, unlike us Democrats.

33% is probably Romney's ceiling, lol.  it's all could could muster this time around despite having a monopoly on the money.

Good call.  Huckabee and Palin's supporters are pretty much one in the same, I suspect.  Let's see who else enters.  Jindal?

Huckabee's and Palin's supporters are pretty much one in the same?  What about all the talk radio listening "movement conservatives" who hated Huck almost as much as they hated McCain during the primaries?  I would imagine that many of them are OK with Palin.

Also, with regard to Jindal, I'm curious as to whether you think he will actually give up on running for a second term in order to run for president?  I mean, with the Louisiana governor's race being held in November 2011 and Iowa caucuses being held in January 2012, it would seem kind of impractical to be running in both.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:31 PM »

Depends on the landscape.  If Obama has a good first term and has decent approval ratings, the field will be incredibly weak.... Thune, Jindal, etc. will wait for 2016
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »

Depends on the landscape.  If Obama has a good first term and has decent approval ratings, the field will be incredibly weak.... Thune, Jindal, etc. will wait for 2016

The problem is that we won't know whether Obama will be beatable in 2012 until *after* the GOP field takes shape.  See, for example, the 1992 election, in which all the big name Dems passed on the chance to run because Bush appeared to be unbeatable.

Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »

Fix'd
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »

The GOP better hope Huckabee and Palin both run.  A vote split so neither sniffs the nomination would be in their best interests.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »

LOL.

Rudy Giuliani will spend the rest of his life exploiting the memory of the dead for personal gain.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies