Presidential Resignation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:30:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Presidential Resignation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Presidential Resignation?  (Read 20806 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »

Obama will probably do what they all do; make millions on a lecture tour and write a bad book or two.

Hasn't he already done that?

Was going to say that. He has nothing else to do, nowhere to go.

I think he would be interested to serve at the Supreme Court. He was after all a constitutional law proffesor.
Wouldn't he become the first one to serve at the highest level of all three branches of government?
(President, U.S. Senator, Supreme Court Justice)

He would be, and he would be an interesting counterpoint to Justice Thomas.  One Justice who could speak eloquently from the bench, and another who doesn't speak.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »

I'm sure Obama would do the teach/lecture/write thing for several years after his presidency. Then he would likely get involved in humanitarian and development work, like Clinton and Carter.

I suppose Supreme Court Justice would be plausible, but I don't know that he'd be willing to become a junior associate Justice.

Maybe he could go back to Chicago and run for Mayor of Chicago to succeed Daley. He'd basically have it as a lifetime job, although going from leader of the free world to dealing with sewage plants and roads might not be that enticing to him.

Given his global profile, some high-profile leadership of a major international institution might be plausible - but I can't quite think of what - NATO? Don't they usually go for a non-American?

I couldn't imagine him going back to the Senate - he left partly because he was frustrated with its pace.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »

He would be, and he would be an interesting counterpoint to Justice Thomas.  One Justice who could speak eloquently from the bench, and another who doesn't speak.

He's also a fair deal smarter than Justice Thomas.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »

If Mrs. Clinton had won, then Bush and Cheaney should have resigned before the end of their term as to make Pelosi the firs female President, just to annoy the Democrats.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »

If Mrs. Clinton had won, then Bush and Cheaney should have resigned before the end of their term as to make Pelosi the firs female President, just to annoy the Democrats.

Since she'd have to give up her seat in the House, I can't see Pelosi accepting the Presidency for just a few weeks.  If that had happened, we'd have ended up with either President Byrd or President Rice.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 01:46:55 AM »

At the end of their term... why the hell not?

In a midterm though... now that would be fun!

Well, if they lost, they'd just stay on as President of course. Yeah, it'd be amusing having the guy who just beat the President in the Senate race trying to defeat his economic program.

Come to think of it, would be an interesting list....Presidents who lost Congressional races to a member of Congress who was still in office while they were President. Bush 41 was President while Bentsen was in the Senate. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »

Since she'd have to give up her seat in the House, I can't see Pelosi accepting the Presidency for just a few weeks.  If that had happened, we'd have ended up with either President Byrd or President Rice.
If Bush and Cheney had resigned before Jan 3, she could simply have waited to take her oath of office for her new term after January 20.  Or if after January 3, she could have run in the special election.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 05:29:55 PM »

If Bush and Cheney had resigned before Jan 3, she could simply have waited to take her oath of office for her new term after January 20.  Or if after January 3, she could have run in the special election.

While Pelosi would likely be able to get her House seat back, I'd be less sanguine about her getting the Speakership back.  She might have done so if Bush and Cheney had left office legitimately, but not under what would be a political stunt.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »

I repeat this.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »

Assume that in 2000 Bill Clinton run for Congress while being President. Had he won, should he resigned the Presidency while new Congress convenced (January 3, 2001), or can he wait until end of his term (January 20)?

As I remember Jay Rockefeller, elected to the Senate in 1985, took his seat later than other freshmen.

He would have to resign by Jan. 3 of before.  It is illegal for anyone to work in two branches of governemnt at the same time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »

Yes I know. Thats, for example, why Speaker of the House or Senate pro tem would need to resign in order to become Acting President.

But Clinton can postpone his inuguration as Senator?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 02:02:43 PM »

Yes I know. Thats, for example, why Speaker of the House or Senate pro tem would need to resign in order to become Acting President.

But Clinton can postpone his inuguration as Senator?

Yes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »

Yes, there were regulary elected Senators inaugurated later, for example Mark Hatfield, David B. Hill or mentioned Jay Rockefeller
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies