Atlas 3 Poll Aggregate Map v. Actual Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:38:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Atlas 3 Poll Aggregate Map v. Actual Results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas 3 Poll Aggregate Map v. Actual Results  (Read 4101 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »

I took the numbers off the Presidential 3 Poll Aggregate for each state in the polling section and compared the margin of victory in the actual results to the margin predicted in the polling section and then mapped it out.

The polls did fairly good.  Most of the off states were safe ones that were too sparsely polled to be very accurate anyway.  Overall, there were 31 states that were only 3 points off or better and 9 states that were dead on.

The most Obama's best poll over performances came in Vermont and Idaho where he did 12 points better than the polling spread.  McCain's best was Alaska where he did 13 points better.

Overall, there was no pattern found on this map though there were some neighboring states that posted similar results. Notably there were two strings off connected "dead on" states.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

So, the only state called wrong by the Atlas was Indiana? How does that compare to RCP and 538?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2008, 08:20:42 PM by Alcon »

So, the only state called wrong by the Atlas was Indiana? How does that compare to RCP and 538?

538 missed Indiana (had McCain +1.5) and NE-2 (McCain +6, although it's ridiculously hard to model NE-2).

RCP mis-called North Carolina (M+0.4) and Indiana (M+1.4).  No attempt was made at NE-2 but they would have been wrong.

Thought I don't think we should be punishing sites more for the difference between, say, McCain +0.1 and Obama +0.1 and McCain +0.1 and McCain +7.6.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »

538 missed Indiana (had McCain +1.5) and NE-2 (McCain +6, although it's ridiculously hard to model NE-2).

RCP mis-called North Carolina (M+0.4) and Indiana (M+1.4).

Thought I don't think we should be punishing sites more for the difference between, say, McCain +0.1 and Obama +0.1 and McCain +0.1 and McCain +7.6.

I do. Be proud of the poll map attached to a forum of which you are a member!
kevinatcausa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »

It looks like if we forced the Atlas polls to choose on tossup states, it would also have missed IN and ND and may or may not have missed NC (I'm not sure how the Polling average handles things when multiple polls are released on the same day...is it just arbitrary which one counts as the most recent?)., as well as completely abstaining on Missouri.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies