Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:23:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results  (Read 101670 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »

So, I called the Travis County Clerk's Office and the Travis County Tax Office and neither of them knew what a shapefile or a precinct map was. Sad So I emailed the GIS Staff for Travis County and hopefully they can help.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »

So, I called the Travis County Clerk's Office and the Travis County Tax Office and neither of them knew what a shapefile or a precinct map was. Sad So I emailed the GIS Staff for Travis County and hopefully they can help.
EXCITING UPDATE: The guy emailed me back and gave me the real number to call, but this person won't be at work until Tuesday.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »

GISPilot.com has some good links
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »

The Allegheney map is formatted in some insanely obscure way that  may take be a bit to crack.  I'm still working on it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »

The Allegheney map is formatted in some insanely obscure way that may take be a bit to crack.  I'm still working on it.

Take your time.
danny
Israel

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »

Rockland county, New York:

map:

https://geopower.jws.com/rockland/pages/maps/map_download.jsp?id=2069

results:

http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/BOE/2008Election.csv
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »

Sorry Danny, but I can't use a PDF, it has to be a GIS shapefile.

Still working (slowly but surely) on Allegheny.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »

Some random maps...may interest you or not

Prince George's County, MD

Hawaii County, HI

Blaine County, ID

Latah County, ID

Teton County, WY
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »

Does this help you, Alcon?

http://gis.co.bergen.nj.us/bergencounty/viewer.asp
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »

Wow, very cool.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »

Duval County, FL (The shapefile was not the best quality...but I think you get the idea)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »

Great stuff, realisticidealist.

Verily: That does definitely base itself on a shapefile, but I don't see any download option.  You'd probably have to ask the GIS department for one.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 05:49:42 PM »

Montgomery County, MD (More DC area stuff)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »

What's the blue precinct by the river? (Yeah, I notice the precincts around it aren't blowouts either).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »

What's the blue precinct by the river? (Yeah, I notice the precincts around it aren't blowouts either).

I have no idea what happened there, but here are the results:

Precinct 06-09
John McCain: 672       50.83%
Barack Obama: 628    47.50%
Cynthia McKinney: 5     0.38%
Write-Ins: 5                  0.38%
Bob Barr: 4                   0.30%
Ralph Nader: 4             0.30%
Alan Keyes: 3               0.23%
Chuck Baldwin: 1          0.08%

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »

I have no idea what happened there, but here are the results:

Precinct 06-09
John McCain: 672       50.83%
Barack Obama: 628    47.50%
Cynthia McKinney: 5     0.38%
Write-Ins: 5                  0.38%
Bob Barr: 4                   0.30%
Ralph Nader: 4             0.30%
Alan Keyes: 3               0.23%
Chuck Baldwin: 1          0.08%

It looks like an upscale tourist spot "Chesapeake and Ohio Canal"which is also a key part of a
major Green Belt region.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Chesapeake-and-Ohio-Canal

Not sure about much else since it is an unincorporated area and I haven't tried pulling up census data and comparing it to neighboring precincts (if even available).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2008, 07:03:32 AM »

It's a very, very, very rich area. Of course, so is everywhere else along that stretch of the river (and in both states). It's got less Asians than the equally rich areas just east of it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2009, 10:58:06 AM by Vice General Secretary realisticidealist »

I am working on a Maricopa County map that is most of the way done and will be posted within the next couple of days. However, I must say that it is single-handedly the most frustrating map I have ever attempted. The file they supplied is the longest >.txt< file ever made (several hundred thousand lines long); it is so large that it crashes my internet every time I open it. Angry
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »

I am working on a Maricopa County map that is most of the way done and will be posted within the next couple of days. However, I must say that it is single-handedly the most frustrating map I have ever attempted. The file they supplied is the longest >.txt< file ever made (several hundred thousand lines long); it is so large that it crashes my internet every time I open it. Angry

I hate Maricopa's format, but I'd love a map.  You don't happen to know of a way to figure out which precincts are in the city of Phoenix?  The county bounced me off to the local political parties.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2009, 04:01:03 PM »

I was actually expecting Silver Spring to be even more Democratic than that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

I hate Maricopa's format, but I'd love a map.  You don't happen to know of a way to figure out which precincts are in the city of Phoenix?  The county bounced me off to the local political parties.

You can go to the city of Phoenix election site, and pull down the precincts for the 2007 municipal election, which although it will have consolidated precincts, the names of the three or four precincts that were combined will be listed. All you will need to do for the 131 consolidated precincts, is write down three or four names for each of them, and then go to the general election results, and tag the Phoenix precincts on an excel spreadsheet, use the sort function to put them all in one place on the list, and you are then good to go. It should take you more than about 4 hours or so. Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »

You can go to the city of Phoenix election site, and pull down the precincts for the 2007 municipal election, which although it will have consolidated precincts, the names of the three or four precincts that were combined will be listed. All you will need to do for the 131 consolidated precincts, is write down three or four names for each of them, and then go to the general election results, and tag the Phoenix precincts on an excel spreadsheet, use the sort function to put them all in one place on the list, and you are then good to go. It should take you more than about 4 hours or so. Tongue

All yours, Alcon.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »

That actually gave me a good lead on this -- I didn't realize the City of Phoenix had their own elections department.  I'm annoying them now.  They're infinitely more helpful than the county.  I found an old polling place book for May 2008 (unfortunately the results on the web site truncate precinct names to ambiguous levels like "De"), and they're going to get back to me to try to tell the difference.

So...yeah...four hours and a few more phone calls and I'll probably know if no one involved messes up Tongue

this is so not worth it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2009, 01:39:29 AM »

Here is the fruit of my labor. Enjoy.

Maricopa County, AZ

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp131/rarohla/MaricopaCounty.png

The grey precinct had no votes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2009, 02:17:06 AM »

Great job.  Do you happen to know the name of the Obama precinct in the south?  I'm looking at a map and it doesn't look like there's much "there" there
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies