How has your family voted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:25:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How has your family voted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has your family voted?  (Read 55455 times)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« on: November 21, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
« edited: November 21, 2013, 11:08:49 PM by Councilor Hats »

(Edited after research)
My Parents, Canadians, have been ex-Pats since the 1980s, and have more or less refused to share their voting history. They have not voted since 1988

My Father, a Liberal leaning NDPer in his youth
1986: Out of Country, there after
1984 Fed: NDP, Ed Broadbent
1983 BC: BC NDP, Dave Barrett
1980 Fed: Liberal, Pierre Trudeau
1979 Fed: NDP, Ed Broadbent, Dave Barrett
1975 BC:BC NDP, Dave Barrett
1974 Fed: Liberal, Pierre Trudeau

My Mother, a Liberal from a Liberal family
1988 Fed: Liberal, John Turner
1986 Prov. Liberal, Art Lee or possibly Social Credit, Bill Vander Zalm (I hope not)
1984 Fed, Prov: Liberal, John Turner
1983 Prov: Social Credit, Bill Bennett (I'm guessing, she was anti-NDP and hardly anyone voted Liberal that year)

They'd both be Democrats if they were US Citizens

Fathers Family
- Father's Mother: Voted BC Liberal 2013, I'm fairly certain.  Otherwise at minimum anti-Harper
- Father's uncle: Old Montreal Anglo Corporate Exec. Is now and probably has been solidly LPC and PLQ Liberal since he moved their in the 1950s  
- Father's Sister and Younger Brother - both unionized, NDP voters, though the Uncle's wife is a known Conservative
- Family heritage: Historically NDP/CCF community in BC for many years. Anglo-Protestant Heritage, make likely Tories before depression

Mother's Family
-Mother's Mother - solid Federal Liberal really liked Pierre Trudeau. Never got over the NDP government in the 1990s, and seemed to be BC Liberal there after 2001 until she passed away in 2012
-Mother's Father - Solid Federal Liberal, personally disliked Jean Chretien, [called him 'Cretin']  but might have voted that way anyway
-Mother's Mother's Family: Prairie Norwegians.  probably Liberal/Progressive before the depression, definitely CCF/NDP until 1993, Reform/Conservative thereafter
-Mother's Mother's Brother: Family Friend of the Mannings, so probably Alberta Social Credit back in the day, and was asked to be Reform Candidate in the 1990s by Preston Manning
Mother's Father's Family - Land owning Anglo-protestants, but Liberals, this being BC where politics has always been an economic and not a social question
-Some of Mother's sisters, known BC Liberals
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »

Republican, Republican, Republican.  For all of my immediate and most of my distant family members. 

But are you the kinda South Carolinian whose family were Democrats back-in-the-day or are they of Yankee Republican stock?
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »

Republican, Republican, Republican.  For all of my immediate and most of my distant family members. 

But are you the kinda South Carolinian whose family were Democrats back-in-the-day or are they of Yankee Republican stock?

Some of my family were.  I had one great-grandfather who was a democrat. But the rest had pretty much moved to voting Republican by Eisenhower.  I don't know much further back than that, but I assume it's a safe to assume at least some of my relatives were in the almost 99% that voted for FDR.

then again, not that many people actually voted at all in the Deep South before 1952 ...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies