Joe Sestak -- Soulty, Phil...you guys there?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:59:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Joe Sestak -- Soulty, Phil...you guys there?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Sestak -- Soulty, Phil...you guys there?  (Read 1514 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »

And any other Pennsylvanians....

What's the deal with this guy?  Is he statewide candidate material?  Too liberal?  Is he the "foaming at the mouth" rage-a-holic some say?

I like his resume.  But I know little about him and rarely see you guys mention him as a Senate or Gubernatorial candidate. 

Also, is he someone who could be a future VP or Sec Def?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

Yes, his views are probably too liberal but Sestak has the potential to hide that. He was an admiral in the Navy. He does the military thing well.

He's certainly not a foaming at the mouth kind of guy. He's very, very mild mannered. I was at an event and as it was ending, my friend and I entered an elevator with Sestak. My friend called him Congressman and he immediately responded, but in such a soft spoken voice, "Joe! Call me Joe." He was very kind but I've heard that he's actually kind of nasty.

He's from the SE (Delaware county) so he's a major threat in a Democratic primary. He's hinted at running for the U.S. Senate in 2010 but I don't think he'll do it. 2010 won't be the right year for him but I have no doubt that he'd like a Senate seat. I see him as more of a federal issues kind of guy (like Pat Murphy) so I don't see him running for Governor.

He's definitely a frontrunner for Casey's Senate seat if he's still around in 2012 (assuming he wins in 2010 which is a pretty good assumption) and if Casey doesn't seek re-election. Or, if Casey becomes Governor, Sestak could be named as the replacement. He'd also be an attractive running mate or Secretary of Defense. There were rumors of Obama going with him for Secretary of the Navy. That would be ideal for Sestak.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »

Thanks Phil.

I wasn't sure about his temper -- I recall reading something about him having fits with staff and firing people summarily -- but a lot of the temper stories are probably legend.  And even so, as I said with McCain, sometimes I actually want my Senator or Congressman to get pissed off...  ;-)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »

No, it doesn't seem to be a legend:

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/rep.-sestaks-staffers-keep-jumping-ship-2007-09-04.html
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »

Demanding, and from a district that has all the political charm of a toxic waste dump.  He had potential to be a good candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »

I recall reading something about him having fits with staff and firing people summarily

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I know people that work for him but he's able to cover up any angry fits in public. He was just so nice when I met him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies