MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:17:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 41
Author Topic: MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)  (Read 118894 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

Ok I've decided that I'm more interested in finding out Sam's super mega secret and making him grumpy enough to become an official Republican than I am against Franken, so I've switched my internet support the (D).

Well it seems somewhat obvious that he's going to leave the Forum if Franken wins.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #676 on: December 18, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »

Ok I've decided that I'm more interested in finding out Sam's super mega secret and making him grumpy enough to become an official Republican than I am against Franken, so I've switched my internet support the (D).

Well it seems somewhat obvious that he's going to leave the Forum if Franken wins.

We can only pray.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #677 on: December 18, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »

Really?  That bad?

Well, then that's not part of my desire, but I do want to find out this mega secret
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #678 on: December 18, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

Leave the forum?  Post less often, yes.  Leave, no.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #679 on: December 18, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »

btw, if Coleman's challenging 800 ballots, I can say with almost abject certainty that Franken will take "the lead" at some point today.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #680 on: December 18, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »

maybe Norm can go back to dealing bud on some college campus if/when he loses this

we could use him here, the kid in 322b has a monopoly and he knows how to use it
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #681 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »

800 challenges?

Yep, Coleman is toast.  Turns out many more Coleman challenges were Hail Mary like.  

It also turns out that Franken wins regardless of the court ruling on rejected absentee ballots.

I might add that I have no problem with the SOS and the canvasing board.  They appear to have played it down the middle.  Coleman's lead was fool's gold and I bought it until today, but I assumed Coleman had more than a handful of valid challenges relative to Frankin's.

Congrats to Senator elect Frankin.  As it turns out, this race was decided when the original canvasing gave Frankin the pick up of 480 votes prior to the recount.

Topic closed as far as I'm concerned.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #682 on: December 18, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

maybe Norm can go back to dealing bud on some college campus if/when he loses this

we could use him here, the kid in 322b has a monopoly and he knows how to use it

Norm was a dealer in his feckless youth?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #683 on: December 18, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »

Canvassing board just did Lizard People - did not award the vote to Franken Sad
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #684 on: December 18, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »

They said it was an identifying mark - the person's name could have been Lizard People.

WHAT?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

per 538
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #685 on: December 18, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »

Yet apparently Brett Favre isn't. BS.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #686 on: December 18, 2008, 03:13:53 PM »

In spite of the way this is going, I will say that the canvassing board has played it straight down the middle.  Even the moveon.org SOS has appeared to be objective as he's chaired the reviews according to what I've seen on their webcam.

All I ever asked was that this thing be conducted fairly and Minn has done a good job IMO.

If this thing got decided by a bunch of partisan county election boards each using different standards in deciding to reject or accept the absentee ballots that weren't originally counted I'd have a major problem.  That could result in Republican county boards using a standard benefitting Coleman and say, Ramsey County using a different standard to benefit Frankin.  That would have made the whole thing a farce.

At least those absentee ballots don't seem to be the deciding factor and that is good.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #687 on: December 18, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »

Leave the forum?  Post less often, yes.  Leave, no.

Well, that's good (the latter, not the former). That's why I enjoy watching you read the tea leaves instead of trying to do so myself. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #688 on: December 18, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

They haven't added to the totals the withdrawn challenges have they?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #689 on: December 18, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »

They said it was an identifying mark - the person's name could have been Lizard People.

WHAT?

Just FYI, I knew the "Lizard People" vote wouldn't pass when I saw a ballot yesterday where the voter had clearly colored in the oval for Coleman, but under write-in, had written the name "Bob Olson", without coloring in the oval.

They rejected that ballot as an overvote too.  Same principle.  

In other words, no matter how clear one mark is for a candidate, if you write-in a name under Senator, without marking the oval, it's rejected.  Note that this doesn't extend to write-ins for other elections.

I disagree with the principle.  But it is being done consistently, as far as I can tell.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #690 on: December 18, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »

Al is only down 115 right now.

Norm should start packing his bags.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #691 on: December 18, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »

To me, the Lizard Ballot was an exception because the person clearly broke from his pattern of filling in the bubble for Write-In for the senate race.

Secondly, if Silver is right, then it was rejected because of an identifying mark, not because of an overvote (which would make sense).

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #692 on: December 18, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »

To me, the Lizard Ballot was an exception because the person clearly broke from his pattern of filling in the bubble for Write-In for the senate race.

Secondly, if Silver is right, then it was rejected because of an identifying mark, not because of an overvote (which would make sense).

Doesn't matter the method of removal - I just disagree with the concept.  Writing a name in a race without coloring the oval where you have properly colored the oval for another candidate is not an overvote, nor is it an "identifying mark".

Has anyone done what has to be done in order to figure out where the numbers actually are?  It's time-consuming and I'd be willing to help with providing the basic data, but that's about it.  Otherwise, we're just guessing.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #693 on: December 18, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »

Nate Silver has it at Coleman +1 if anyone cares.  But it assumes that the current rates of pick-up continue.

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #694 on: December 18, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »

Nate Silver has it at Coleman +1 if anyone cares.  But it assumes that the current rates of pick-up continue.

God, I hope this happens.  If Coleman won by one vote, it would mean total chaos.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #695 on: December 18, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »

God, I hope this happens.  If Coleman won by one vote, it would mean total chaos.

That number doesn't include the fifth-pile absentees.

Ironically that would be by far the best for Democrats as I said previously.

Republicans look like they stole the election - Democrats aren't stuck with someone so unappealing nationally.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #696 on: December 18, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »

Franken's almost certainly going to win, and I don't think that there's much evidence that Coleman would steal the election (if he wins), especially since this is in Democratic Minnesota.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: December 18, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »

I don't see how there is anyway Norm wins by 1 after the challenges are counted given the amount of outstanding challenges left and the fact that most of them are Coleman challenges.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #698 on: December 18, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2008, 05:38:30 PM by The Prince Was Never Raised For Sincerity »

The Star Tribune only has Coleman up by 29, and dropping steadily.

Edit: It's now 24.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #699 on: December 18, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »

7 now!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to: