Huckabee book reignites feud with Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:27:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huckabee book reignites feud with Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Huckabee book reignites feud with Romney  (Read 6507 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »

I welcome a battle to the death between these 2 crazies for the right to lose against Obama.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 01:46:08 AM »

Mitt Romney said he was more Pro "Gay rights" than Ted Kennedy (I assume this means in favor of gay marriage as well).

To be fair, if that quote is from 1994, I would *not* assume that he means that he's pro-gay marriage.  I don't think anyone was seriously talking about the possibility of gay marriage being legalized way back then.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 01:51:50 AM »

It's amazing how you think you're creatively dismissing what I'm saying. Instead, the rest of us see you avoiding the point.

Mitt Romney said he was more Pro "Gay rights" than Ted Kennedy (I assume this means in favor of gay marriage as well). Now either you're calling Romney a typical, pandering candidate or you're saying he flipped on the issue when he decided he wanted to be the face of conservatives. Which is it?

Huh You just responded to my conversation with someone else and not the one I was having with you.  You don't counter any of my responses and then attack me for not responding to your agreement with someone else's actual arguments?  The rests of us know that I've already refuted this anyway, I've never avoided it.  You're grasping at straws here.

Anyway, you've proven my point, so all is done and the side of truth wins again.  You can't come up with anything he's actually "flip-flopped" on.  If you are inclined to carry on in ignorance of any of my previous posts, feel free.  But if you'd like to know how you're wrong, you can browse any thread about Mitt Romney over the past year and see how many times "your" "points" have been refuted.  I suggest you don't drag this on any further, because it's pretty widely known that I have refuted these things quite extensively and your unawareness of this is not making you look good.

Dude, I said it wasn't worth arguing with you if you think his flip flop on abortion isn't relevant.

You're ignoring everything I said because it doesn't help your argument.

Don't tell me how I'm not looking good by being unaware of what you've said in Romney's defense. We're all aware and it's pretty clear (especially from this conversation) that you're the second biggest Romney hack on the forum. You haven't refuted a damn thing so stop patting yourself on the back. You've dodged the quotes by Romney by playing dumb. "Hey, what does that have to do with what I said?"  "You're not countering what I'm saying!"  "Who are you responding to?"

The quotes by Romney ("Independent during Reagan Bush" and the Pro Gay rights comments) are known flip flops. You keep ignoring them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »

I'm done legitimizing the attacks by reposting all my posts from the past year.

So all this was was, "I'm right so just admit it."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11:46 AM »

I'm done legitimizing the attacks by reposting all my posts from the past year.
So all this was was, "I'm right so just admit it."

More like, "you don't know what you're talking about and nothing you've brought up is at all relevant, new, or unrefuted."

LOL

"You don't know what you're talking about, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah! I'm right and you're wrong!"

So what was the point of this thread? Were you just here to say, "I already addressed that so oh well for you!"
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »

I really don't know what this argument is all about, but how is it erroneous to claim that Mitt Romney flipped on gay rights and abortion? I'm not trying to be argumentative, fezzy,I just am curious. The reason why I didn't like him in the primaries was because I felt he was disingenuous, claiming he was all of a sudden pro-life and anti-gay while pandering to the evangelical wing of the party. He ran as a moderate against Ted Kennedy in 1994. To be honest, if he had remained the same guy, I would be much more likely to support him over his current incarnation. The 1994-2002 Mitt Romney was the kind of Republican I like-fiscally conservative and socially moderate. I'll agree that he is unfairly demonized on this forum, and my reservations with him came from my own readings of his past stances. The reason I liked Rudy so much was that he didn't try to hide that he was a social liberal, nor did he claim he had had an epiphany and became pro-life.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »

Bush Tax CutsSad Mitt Romney said in 2002 that he would not endorse Bush's tax cuts because he did not know enough about them.

LOL

That one is rich! Add in the fact that he's Mr. Financial Genius and you should be rolling on the ground in laughter.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »

Phil
I wouldn't be going around attacking flip flops of people when the people you have supported aren't any different

Rick Santorum in 1994-"12 years is long enough for any congressmen" not an exact quote but close enough. Add to that his support of Specter in 2004 which you yourself criticized. There is also the residency issue. His failure to fight out of control spending while in the leadership. 

John McCain in 2003-I don't thing we should cut taxes for the richest among us. Plus you got Immigration, Evanglicals being agents of intollerance, Offshore Drilling, and even his support for Bush and the Iraq war technically is a flip flop.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »

I think Huckabee is very narrow minded in this instance if he things the threat to the GOP is limited Gov't. Big Spenders have ran the party into the ground for the past 8 yrs while the limited Gov't people like Gingrich and Armey created that majority in 1994.

His book does nothing but continue the same old montra about people like Mitt Romney destroying the party. Huck's state isn't exactly electing Reps up and done the ballot. In fact Huck presided over one of the biggest declines in a state's party ever with the exception of VT. The wasn't much to the GOP in Mass when Romney was elected so its not like there was anything left to damage. Huck is almost as good as his evil opponents the Club for Growth in electing Dems.

You know I actually want Huckabee to run again. But I also want Jindal Palin and Romney to run as well. Split the Evengelical "I'll vote for Huck cause the Reverend says so crowd" and allow Romney to win in Iowa.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 03:48:56 PM »

Again, I feel compelled to point out

Huckabee needed to generate some buzz about his book, ironic given its title

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »

Fezzy, you've made a reasonable argument actually on why Mitt isn't as much as a flip flopper as he's made out to be.

Mitt did a poor job imaging himself (or his opponents did a far better at shaping his image).  He came across as a chameleon who reverse all of his positions from MA to the Republican Primary.  Like, his claim that he wanted to "double the size of Guantanamo" seemed especially fake.  Probably his abortion switch, the most highly suspicious of anything he did, was profound enough to make people skeptical of everything else.  Also, Republicans are inherently distrustful of MA.

I actually think one could have a longer list of things McCain flip-flopped on, but they would be less buzz-worthy than abortion.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

During the primaries I had my reservations with Romney.  I don't tend to vote based on social issues, but it came down to overall trust ...If I can't trust him on his social policy views, how can I trust him on everything else?  Currently, however, Romney is one of my two top choices (contingent upon how Obama performs).  Since I feel he would best serve the country's needs at this time, I'd be  willing to look past any perceived flip-flops.  I think this is what we saw with Obama.  The majority opinion was that the country was on the wrong track, compounded by the credit collapse in September, so people were willing to look past any of Obama's dubious associations and relative lack of experience.  Similarly, I would hope the American people would be able to ignore Romney's abortion switch in the interest of stabilizing the economy. 

I hope, of course, that the economy will do a 180 (and I think that it will) by 2012, thereby making this whole operation moot.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 02:14:08 AM »

Rick Santorum in 1994-"12 years is long enough for any congressmen" not an exact quote but close enough. Add to that his support of Specter in 2004 which you yourself criticized. There is also the residency issue. His failure to fight out of control spending while in the leadership.

I criticize him when he's wrong but the guy really hasn't flip flopped. The residency issue isn't a flip flop either. We can go into that if you want. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And I've stated my differences with him, too. He has definitely stood by what he believes more than Romney.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »

And I've stated my differences with him, too. He has definitely stood by what he believes more than Romney.

Uh...I'm pretty sure that's been proven false fairly thoroughly.  But I mean, feel free to ignore the factual arguments others have put forth in favor of convenient political speak.  Romney has simply not flip-flopped.  Period.  Done.  Factual statement complete.  There's nothing more to the pitiful accusations other than intellectually dishonest and irrational political manipulation.

Dude, you can't possibly been serious.

This whole thread you have simply gone on and on saying, "I am right. It has been proven. You lose." without actually proving a damn thing. You kept saying, "Well, I already addressed this awhile ago so oh well for you for not noticing."

If you actually want to prove something to be false "fairly thoroughly" then actually do it instead of saying you did it months ago and I should just take your word for it.

But listen, Fezzy..."I was an Independent during Reagan - Bush! I don't want to go back to Reagan - Bush! Mitt Romney - Reagan's Choice for America."
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2008, 02:44:34 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

[/quote]
The problem is that McCain beleived in, whatever would make the media love him for supporting it, for several years. Somethings he said and did just for that reason. I still don't believe him when it came to the Kerry Veep rumors or the the 2001 attempt to bolt the party. I don;t recall Romney threatening to bolt the party just 6 years before his Presidential run or joining the Democratic ticket in the previos election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 03:08:53 PM »

Go find it.  You're the only one who hasn't seen it yet and it's not my job to go digging and digging so you can look less ridiculous.

So again...

What was the point of this discussion? You said you wanted to have an intelligent conversation and then resort to this.

LOL

Ok, pal.

No one else is backing me up because no one else is paying attention. Everyone knows how ridiculous you are when it comes to Romney. Almost everyone agrees that the guy is a spineless joke. Maybe you've been absent for the past two years...

So, again, all this was for was for you to say, "I'm right. You're wrong." Got you, pal.

I don;t recall Romney threatening to bolt the party just 6 years before his Presidential run or joining the Democratic ticket in the previos election.

And, like you said, we don't even know if that's true with McCain. While Romney definitely didn't threaten to switch, I'm not going to bow down and give him credit for it. What kind of standard is that?

He didn't have to threaten to switch anyway. He switched his ideology enough times to be acceptable to everyone! The guy is a total phoney.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »

I knew that the second you decided to ignore everything I said and started playing "I already did this. I don't need to prove anything. Find it on your own." And you said all of that after you claimed to want to have a fair, intelligent conversation about this.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

I MIGHT have supported Romney over Obama. Never against any other democrat though. He really has changed his positions completely, ironically right at the time he started to run for the GOP nomination. I don't like him at all but he's far from the worst Republican.

I wonder how he would have done in the general. His business experience might have helped or hurt.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies