Cilizza's 10 Republicans to Watch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:03:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Cilizza's 10 Republicans to Watch (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cilizza's 10 Republicans to Watch  (Read 3065 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »
« edited: November 21, 2008, 11:58:59 PM by Lunar »

An ok list, but Haley Barbour as #2?  I'm going to have to "lol" at that my good sir.  Haley wouldn't crack my top 20.

He's been a solid governor and whatnot, but I don't see his niche in a Republican primary and his biography is just awful - lobbyist for the Tobacco industry?  That's about as evil and god-awful as a biography as one can have in politics without killing a hooker!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:12:46 AM »

An ok list, but Haley Barbour as #2?  I'm going to have to "lol" at that my good sir.  Haley wouldn't crack my top 20.

He's #9, not #2.

Oops, well, still.

I'm sooooo not watching Haley Barbour.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »

He's actually got a pretty good shot at governor because of all of the groundwork he's laid down in advance.  He'll need the Democrats to not nominate someone like Newsom, but that's not an unreasonable wish.

In order to win the GOP primary here, you have to have the California establishment support you.  Whitman would have a good chance at that, but because of all of the work Poizner has already done, he could easily score that slot.

I think he's an important guy to watch, actually. 

I'm debating about changing my registration to vote for Campbell (who has the same last name as me and who deserves it more than Poizner or Whitman or probably most of the Dems).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:32:03 AM »

Barbour might be good but let's try to avoid him. I don't think anyone could scream "Stereotypical Republican" more than Haley.

Exactly. I think he is Bush + 1.  Southern lobbyist?

I actually think he'd be a better president than many other potentials, but he's be a horrible candidate because of his biography.

He might be an ok VP if the top ot the ticket was a bit too off-base.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 01:32:30 AM »

Barbour might be good but let's try to avoid him. I don't think anyone could scream "Stereotypical Republican" more than Haley.

I agree...but who knows...by 2012 America may be yearning for a "Stereotypical Republican". Although, I must say, Mitch Daniels impresses me.

We're done with Bush okthxbye

Smiley

But seriously
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:58:52 AM »

There is little doubt that Haley could win tobacco country, haha.

I have no idea why Chris thinks he's a guy to watch.  He's a successful, well-connected governor, but that doesn't mean the guy is fit to win a GOP primary or a national, general election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies